Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

With the "Wright Amendment" set to expire @ Dallas Love, will UAL change service ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

With the "Wright Amendment" set to expire @ Dallas Love, will UAL change service ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:12 am
Original Poster

We can report that the gates for Virgin America and United, the leaseholders in the new terminal, look ready from the passengers’ side. Equipment remains to be installed at the agents’ stations, but chairs and decorations seem to be largely there.

To orient yourself, think of the new terminal as a great big T. Passengers enter the terminal fro the bottom of the T, after going through the security checkpoint and ascending stairs or escalators to the second level that connects the lobby to the terminal.

The crossbar of the T holds all the gates. Southwest has all the gates to the right and all the gates along the top of the T. That would include gates 1-10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19 and 20.

Closer to the left end of the terminal, United has gates 15 and 17 to complete the bottom of that side of the T, all the way the end. Its gate area is open to view because the United gate area goes right against the Southwest gate area.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ve-field.html/
I dunno, right now they are using the gates strictly for RJ service to IAH, but could they now introduce some mainline service to other hubs from Love ?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Going head to head vs WN, with major operations on the other side of town? Unlikely. No different than SJC/OAK.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Going head to head vs WN, with major operations on the other side of town? Unlikely. No different than SJC/OAK.
How is Dallas / Houston (239 miles) 'no different than' SFO/SJC/OAK (~30 mile radius)?

I think you are comparing apples and oranges.

Unless you are somehow referring to DFW? What major operations does UA have in place at DFW?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
It's actually significantly different from the set-up at SFO vs. SJC/OAK for UA. Unlike AA, UA does not have a cross-town hub at DFW. Also, unlike SJC and OAK, DAL is a much more convenient airport than DFW for travelers visiting the largest nearby business travel market. I don't think it's unrealistic to see UA give DAL to other UA hubs a try, perhaps on E75 aircraft to test the waters.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
deleted

Last edited by JAaronT; Aug 25, 2014 at 11:38 am Reason: Can't read
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
How is Dallas / Houston (239 miles) 'no different than' SFO/SJC/OAK (~30 mile radius)?

I think you are comparing apples and oranges.

Unless you are somehow referring to DFW? What major operations does UA have in place at DFW?
Ok scratch my post was thinking Hobby . Reading fail.

Either way - for a non growing airline, I doubt it.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:55 am

Ok scratch my post was thinking Hobby . Reading fail.

Either way - for a non growing airline, I doubt it.
OK, got it. After I thought about it, it seemed like this might be the case.

Is there any cap on UA's flights to/from DAL?

What else could make sense for United out of DAL?

Perhaps SFO, ORD, or IAD to compete with SW and VX new flights?

You can already get to all these places (plus EWR and DEN) from DFW though, so not sure how much sense it would make for UA to try and expand at DAL where they have a minimal presence in place.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
I think the most likely routes they would try are DEN and SFO. They tried DEN bit wright limited them to 50 seaters. Maybe it would do better with a 70 seater. I doubt they would divert mainline resources to develop this (likely marginal) market.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only caps at DAL are no flights between 11 pm and 6 am (via voluntary noise curfew) and no international flights. UA is free to fly as many flights as it wants to schedule from its two preferential use gates.

Delta is chomping at the bit to continue serving DAL and increasing its departures despite losing the fight for the AA gates to VX; dunno whether UA will schedule 16-20 flights a day to lock out DL or whether UA will be in an accommodating spirit at DAL.

I haven't counted every UA departure from DFW, but from a cursory glance, it looks like UA has about 30 daily departures from DFW, so a move of its DFW operations would require that UA trim a few flights (no realistic way to get 30 daily departures from two DAL gates).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The only caps at DAL are no flights between 11 pm and 6 am (via voluntary noise curfew) and no international flights. UA is free to fly as many flights as it wants to schedule from its two preferential use gates.

Delta is chomping at the bit to continue serving DAL and increasing its departures despite losing the fight for the AA gates to VX; dunno whether UA will schedule 16-20 flights a day to lock out DL or whether UA will be in an accommodating spirit at DAL.

I haven't counted every UA departure from DFW, but from a cursory glance, it looks like UA has about 30 daily departures from DFW, so a move of its DFW operations would require that UA trim a few flights (no realistic way to get 30 daily departures from two DAL gates).
Can't imagine them shutting down DFW operations.

Maybe move some DFW flights to DAL?

Head to head competing with SW and VX may make sense, especially since their new flights are headed straight in to UA's hubs / areas of interest.

Or maybe they let SW take the wind out of VX sails, then attack?

The fact that UA (just like SW) can now launch long distance flights out of DAL is interesting to consider. Lots of bigger RJ's coming on line in the next year.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
I'd be happy if they just upgraded the service to/from IAH to E75. (mainline would be a dream) Right now, those 50 seaters + the limited schedule make it pointless, and I'd rather fly WN to go into DAL. better planes would at least make UA an option, and competing on schedule would be a bonus.

(DAL is way more convenient when going into downtown Dallas, so I'm really surprised that UA has a more robust schedule going into DFW from IAH. Anyone know the reason for that?)
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:06 pm

Perhaps SFO, ORD, or IAD to compete with SW and VX new flights?
Or maybe they let SW take the wind out of VX sails, then attack?
SW is not Southwest. SW is Air Namibia. Southwest is WN.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Indelaware
SW is not Southwest.
I knew that.

SW is Air Namibia.
I did not know that.

Southwest is WN.
I knew that.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Zappity
I think the most likely routes they would try are DEN and SFO. They tried DEN bit wright limited them to 50 seaters. Maybe it would do better with a 70 seater. I doubt they would divert mainline resources to develop this (likely marginal) market.
Is it really a marginal market? In Dallas traffic, I'd much rather access Turtle Creek, Uptown Dallas and Downtown Dallas from Love Field versus DFW. It seems like there should be a way to properly utilise this market and profit, but maybe the presence of the LCCs is the issue? I don't know.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:58 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
...I don't think it's unrealistic to see UA give DAL to other UA hubs a try, perhaps on E75 aircraft to test the waters.
They've had DAL-DEN in the past. In February 2012, I flew a DEN-DAL round-trip. Both legs were ExpressJet EMB145.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.