Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Multi-million dollar investment in onboard food and beverage options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multi-million dollar investment in onboard food and beverage options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by sbm12
  • Yes, many of the sandwiches & salads are similar to BoB items. The Executive Chef said at one point, "We did get positive feedback from the Bistro on Board; those sandwiches were very popular.... We've already got something a proven winner right now and people are fond of it; let's look at if we can get it available in first class." And that makes a lot of sense to me, too.
Thanks for the photos sbm12. I have to wonder, however, why they don't just serve BOB in F and end this "investment" charade. Aside from those salads and that short ribs dish, if that's how the "investments" look like coming fresh out of the flight kitchen, I can't imagine how unappetizing they would be coming out of the foil at 35,000 feet.

As a side note, I just arrived on SAN-IAH-SAT today, CPUed both flights. Neither one had the 312 Urban Wheat on board. We're almost two months into the switchover, and catering is still inconsistent on how the beverage cart is provisioned. Color me jaded, but I'm not expecting much from this "investment."
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
As one who has been mainly a vegetarian with some seafood in my diet I quit eating airline food some time back.
good to know i'm not the only veg/pescetarian FF here; hopefully UA recognizes this and lessens their use of cheap meat as filler that ruins otherwise veg-friendly food.

i doubt even the hardiest of meat lovers would shed a tear if the turkey sausage was served separately with the bistro scramble, for example. it'd be nice if i had more than one option on the bistro menu for lunch and dinner combined (the box o'cheese).

i'm not even asking for good veg food at this point - i would simply like to see some sign that UA accepts the idea that vegetarians fly their airline.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Thanks for the photos sbm12. I have to wonder, however, why they don't just serve BOB in F and end this "investment" charade. Aside from those salads and that short ribs dish, if that's how the "investments" look like coming fresh out of the flight kitchen, I can't imagine how unappetizing they would be coming out of the foil at 35,000 feet.

As a side note, I just arrived on SAN-IAH-SAT today, CPUed both flights. Neither one had the 312 Urban Wheat on board. We're almost two months into the switchover, and catering is still inconsistent on how the beverage cart is provisioned. Color me jaded, but I'm not expecting much from this "investment."
I am 100% on the new 312 beer on my flights. While typically wheat beer is not my favorite, this one is pretty good and I'll choose it every time (vs. Heineken).

I have a few RPU'd transcon and midcon flights upcoming. I'll let you know my thoughts on the food, if in fact it is catered on my flights.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I am 100% on the new 312 beer on my flights. While typically wheat beer is not my favorite, this one is pretty good and I'll choose it every time (vs. Heineken).
I've flown ~10 UA/UAX segments since July 1, including today. Excluding 2 CLD-LAX segments with no beverage service and 2 6am flights where I didn't bother asking for alcohol, I asked and received the 312 twice. That's a .333 batting average (2 for 6). Good for baseball, bad for a self-proclaimed "global airline."
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Aside from those salads and that short ribs dish, if that's how the "investments" look like coming fresh out of the flight kitchen, I can't imagine how unappetizing they would be coming out of the foil at 35,000 feet.
Hey now, every savvy flyer knows that there's a significant investment needed in the kitchens to have the caterers prepare better food...it's not as simple as, you know, just spending more on the food
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by spin88
Thanks for the photos Seth... it makes clear that NONE OF THESE WILL BE AS GOOD AS WHAT Delta currently serves. Everything looks cheap, cheap ingredients, poor presentation. I'm not going to bother comparing to VX.

That it looks slightly better than what is done now (and will look as bad once implemented) really says nothing. This is just moving the deck chairs around the asylum.
Agreed. Thanks for posting the photos.

I was fine with the announced soup/sandwiches for lunch, but they need to be high quality. The photos do not impress me especially considering these were staged with particular care for this event. And are they really not serving chips or pretzels or something?

The ham and cheese on pretzel roll looks particularly grim. The ham looks very sparse (there is a gap with no meat in the middle of the sandwich)...not even enough for a whole sandwich, let alone appearing stuffed or generous. And it is hard to tell from the picture, but it doesn't seem to be very high quality ham....more like a pressed ham product.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
No thanks, I have dined here before.

How about pouring money into things that make people more productive, WiFi *and* power.

Or maybe preventive maintenance so I don't have a delay on every single flight.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by riphamilton
good to know i'm not the only veg/pescetarian FF here; hopefully UA recognizes this and lessens their use of cheap meat as filler that ruins otherwise veg-friendly food.

i doubt even the hardiest of meat lovers would shed a tear if the turkey sausage was served separately with the bistro scramble, for example. it'd be nice if i had more than one option on the bistro menu for lunch and dinner combined (the box o'cheese).

i'm not even asking for good veg food at this point - i would simply like to see some sign that UA accepts the idea that vegetarians fly their airline.
Another vegetarian here, and I agree, except that this is not really a UA-specific issue.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Hey now, every savvy flyer knows that there's a significant investment needed in the kitchens to have the caterers prepare better food...it's not as simple as, you know, just spending more on the food
I'm inclined to wonder what exactly "multi-million dollar investment" really means now. Increasing the annual catering budget by $1.1M can be defined as "multi-million," and any kind of spending can be called an "investment" these days. Worse, "multi-million" might actually just refer to the fact that UA's catering budget costs millions of dollars.

Considering those split cashews alone meant $200,000, "multi-million" might not mean much more than an extra slice of cheese.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Agreed. Thanks for posting the photos.

I was fine with the announced soup/sandwiches for lunch, but they need to be high quality. The photos do not impress me especially considering these were staged with particular care for this event. And are they really not serving chips or pretzels or something?

The ham and cheese on pretzel roll looks particularly grim. The ham looks very sparse (there is a gap with no meat in the middle of the sandwich)...not even enough for a whole sandwich, let alone appearing stuffed or generous. And it is hard to tell from the picture, but it doesn't seem to be very high quality ham....more like a pressed ham product.
These photos reminded me of a trip with an ex-GF. We tacked on a trip to Thailand and spend 3 days in BKK and 4 days at Phuket. It was the first trip to Thailand for either of us. So I booked us into BKK (and did the hotel in HKG) and we stayed at the then brand new Westin (which is now the Banyan Tree) and it was wonderful. She was responsible for arrangements in Phuket. So we arrive and it is this dinky place, off the beach, and the room stinks. Stains on the plastic bed spread cover, everything in the bathroom was rusting. Holes in the carpet. I don't want to touch anything.

She looks at me, looks at the room, realizes she made a major mistake. I get on the phone, and book us into the Amanpuri, and we check out.

So in the tuk tuk, I asked her, and she says that this place was the cheapest of the three star hotels in Phuket. I ask about the pictures, and she says it looked like this, just clean and newer.

If this is what you can tell from the pictures, when United is trying to impress everyone, the reality will be far worse. And yes, agree on the pretzel roll. Bad joke, little meat, low quality, dry. And no effort to pair it with anything.

What clearly happened was United raised their catering budget from $3.25 to $3.30, and went with the plated BOB options where they could (saving some money) while tossing a little more into a few dinner options.

United clearly is getting the message that crap catering is driving away high value customers (disproving what the "savvy" set says) yet their response is not to make the real investments to fix things, rather they are putting lip stick on the pig.

The only real substantial "enhancement" I see in everything being said is an implied promise to dump the F snack box. That would be great if it really happened, and they matched DAL and AAL in offering real F meals on express, but the promise from UAL is at best vague, and I'll believe it when I see it. Meanwhile, enjoying flying VX, DL, and AS. All three are very glad to see me as a customer.

Last edited by spin88; Aug 27, 2014 at 10:57 am
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Flying a transcon domestic segment tonight, does anybody know if I should expect the updated entrees for dinner?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've flown ~10 UA/UAX segments since July 1, including today. Excluding 2 CLD-LAX segments with no beverage service and 2 6am flights where I didn't bother asking for alcohol, I asked and received the 312 twice. That's a .333 batting average (2 for 6). Good for baseball, bad for a self-proclaimed "global airline."
Another reason for lack of 312 at times is my presence on a flight. I've been told (burp) twice that I've depleted their supply. Hopefully, they adjust catering occasionally based on demand.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nevansm
Flying a transcon domestic segment tonight, does anybody know if I should expect the updated entrees for dinner?
I doubt it. Too soon. Flew SFO-OGG Monday and was faced with the 2+ year old running choice of chicken cacciatore or spinach lasagna.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Another reason for lack of 312 at times is my presence on a flight. I've been told (burp) twice that I've depleted their supply. Hopefully, they adjust catering occasionally based on demand.
LOL. I've been 100% stocked on domestic, intl, and UX, and have suggested it to seatmates who seemed curious.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
lol. iirc they stock only three 312s per flight. If I clear CPU ahead of time, I'll try to sit in row 1 or 2 to improve my average.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.