Late Award flights to Istanbul

Old Aug 20, 14, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN

Hi FTers,

I'm trying to book a nice European "24-hour" stopover from EWR. EWR->?->IST.

I need the departure from that European city to leave late so that it arrives late (after 12:35pm) in Istanbul.

After enjoying a nice day-long layover in Istanbul, I'll be flying IST-Cairo the following day at 12:35am. (For another long layover before flying Cairo-BKK at 10:30pm the following day)

Looks like Madrid and Brussels have such late flights to IST according to the United site. Unfortunately there's no EWR-Madrid availability, and I'm only sorta-keen on Brussels.

Any other options for late (9pm-12pm departure to IST) available that won't show up on United.com?

While I can't complain about a stopover in Brussels, I'd be more keen on checking out Spain (Barcelona), Portugal, Munich (last flight 3pm), or Dublin (last flight 5pm).

Cheers,
Ryan
Old Aug 20, 14, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
There's a redeye LHR-IST
Old Aug 20, 14, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

And pay LHR fees ($96!)? And deal with LHR? No thanks! Thanks for pointing it out though, it might be useful for someone else.
Old Aug 21, 14, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo View Post
And pay LHR fees ($96!)?
$96? The LHR differential is not very high for connections.

It's $19 more than FRA or $15 more than CDG or $20 more than MXP.

Sure, it's more, but if it gets you the schedule you need, then it works.

There are also late flights out of Scandinavia (ARN, OSL, HEL, etc.) but not redeyes.
Old Aug 21, 14, 12:14 am
Original Poster

That's a good point - its just a connection - but I think since I'm planning to leave the airport I'm gonna get hit with more than just a connection.

Brussels-IST shows only $38 in fees. Another +1 on Brussels. Spain is only $36.

I'm pricing those one-way so not sure if things change as a "stopover".

Does anyone know?

Brussels is looking better and better, especially as I can have a waffle for breakfast, right?
Old Aug 21, 14, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pricing those one-way so not sure if things change as a "stopover".
That would price as an origin. Your fees may be different.

Brussels is looking better and better, especially as I can have a waffle for breakfast, right?

Waffles in Belgium are generally street food, eaten as a snack. They're quite good, especially warm, and often served by street vendors.

The "Belgian Waffle" you're probably thinking of is strictly an American thing.
Old Aug 21, 14, 12:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
LHR will be cheaper if priced as a connection rather than a one-way as you do not pay APD when connecting, only the passenger service charge (or whatever they call it).
Old Aug 21, 14, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Any other late evening options for United reward to Istanbul? So far I've found Barcelona, Brussels, and LHR.

Cheers
Old Aug 21, 14, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze

I don't fully understand what you're trying to do with the first stopover, but I'd recommend the morning departure EWR-LHR. No jet lag as you arrive in the evening, can check into the hotel without a wait, and get a good first night's sleep.

I feel a lot better after those flights compared to a quick EWR-BCN overnighter. If London doesn't interest you, you could get a cheap domestic trip to EDI/GLA for the day, or hire a car and tour the Cotswolds/Wales?
Old Aug 21, 14, 3:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Google is your friend, this may give you some ideas -
http://www.istanbul-airport.info/arrivals.html
Old Aug 21, 14, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jbeckett View Post
Google is your friend, this may give you some ideas -
http://www.istanbul-airport.info/arrivals.html
Based on that list it would appear FRA and MUC should be added to your list and make things relatively easy (EWR - FRA/MUC - IST).
Old Aug 22, 14, 12:39 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by channa View Post
There's a redeye LHR-IST
There is, but I'm here to tell you, that flight sucks rocks. I used it in March and although the timing worked well for my LHR layover, the TK flight itself was torture. It left at 1030pm and thanks to a strong tailwind push arrived IST at 320am local. Even at IST, hub of the old world, not much is open at that time. Meanwhile the flight was totally full, there was no halfway comfortable seat assignment for UA *G members, and we had some turb. It was still operating from T3 at that time, which meant at least I could use the SK lounge and down a couple of cold ones to prepare.
Old Aug 22, 14, 6:54 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
try lisbon to ist or Toulouse. But I'd go to Turkish airlines and back up from there. Some very sharply priced empty flights on them right now. I'm taking Lisbon to Cape Town via Ist early Sept. returning via Ist to Toulouse. Cheapest connections I found.
Old Aug 22, 14, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What class of service are you booking? There are some TK nonstops on nice planes (widebodies with pretty good Y products and great J products) if you book thru the right cities.

Originally Posted by redtailshark View Post
There is, but I'm here to tell you, that flight sucks rocks. I used it in March and although the timing worked well for my LHR layover, the TK flight itself was torture. It left at 1030pm and thanks to a strong tailwind push arrived IST at 320am local. Even at IST, hub of the old world, not much is open at that time. Meanwhile the flight was totally full, there was no halfway comfortable seat assignment for UA *G members, and we had some turb. It was still operating from T3 at that time, which meant at least I could use the SK lounge and down a couple of cold ones to prepare.
Yes, the late-night FRA-IST is a bit brutal. You do get blankets and LH dims the cabin lights and serves a very short meal service, but it's hard to rest in coach. On arrival you can take a taxi to a hotel and that's about it. The good news is that no matter where in Istanbul you are staying there is not likely to be much traffic.

To the OP, don't forget that Turkey now have electronic pre-arrival visas (the $20 sticker on arrival is gone or fading). Apply in advance online. The US consulate currently says "For a transitional period during the 2014 tourism season, before the program is phased out, foreigners arriving in Turkey without visas will be able to obtain e-visas via interactive kiosks at Turkish airports. The fee for an e-visa upon arrival, for Americans, is US$30.00. The fee for e-visas obtained prior to arrival in Turkey is US$20. Additional information about e-Visas can be found at the official website www.evisa.gov.tr."
Old Aug 23, 14, 1:05 am
Original Poster

I need an a flight arrival after 12:30am in order to do my stopover in IST. So only "late night arrival" flights work. I haven't managed to find too many of them. LHR, MAD, and BRU are the only ones I've found

Search this Thread
Search Engine: