Wiki Posts
Search

Help: Want to Get to Australia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
You would pay with your UA miles.

Remember that UA awards allow a stopover, so if you find availability SFO-PEK on the 4th and availability PEK-SYD on the 6th, it's an opportunity to see PEK. Otherwise, connections must be less than 24 hours...which can still be an opportunity for side trips.
That's a good point regarding the possibility of working in a stopover. But, keep in mind that for PEK, you would be required to have a Chinese visa, which I believe is somewhat of a hassle to obtain and may not be worth it for a short stopover. And I was a little uncertain of United's stopover rules and if they permit passengers from doing a stopover in a region other than the originating or final destination regions. But, it sounds like they may allow that judging from others comments.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by sm71
That's a good point regarding the possibility of working in a stopover. But, keep in mind that for PEK, you would be required to have a Chinese visa, which I believe is somewhat of a hassle to obtain and may not be worth it for a short stopover. And I was a little uncertain of United's stopover rules and if they permit passengers from doing a stopover in a region other than the originating or final destination regions. But, it sounds like they may allow that judging from others comments.
I believe you'd be OK if you keep your visit in PEK under 72 hours. Policy introduced in 2013. Can't leave the city.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
There's a website called award nexus that has a search engine to that will look for all available award tickets. I found it very helpful when I was looking for awards seats to Burma awhile back. If you are a member of Flyertalk you'll get a free community membership.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sm71
And I was a little uncertain of United's stopover rules and if they permit passengers from doing a stopover in a region other than the originating or final destination regions. But, it sounds like they may allow that judging from others comments.
I had awards tickets from US to Asia with a stopover in Europe, no problem at all.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL, USAir, AA, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by elynchking
There's a website called award nexus that has a search engine to that will look for all available award tickets. I found it very helpful when I was looking for awards seats to Burma awhile back. If you are a member of Flyertalk you'll get a free community membership.
Thanks. This sounds like just what I need.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Silver
Two business seats on the direct flights (LAX/SFO to MEL/SYD) can be difficult to get. Business availability is much better if you transit through Asia (e.g. ICN, NRT, TPE, even BKK).
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hookthem
I believe you'd be OK if you keep your visit in PEK under 72 hours. Policy introduced in 2013. Can't leave the city.
This is only available for citizens of certain countries and sometimes people have difficulty checking in because not all airline staff know about 72 hour TWOV (although I would think CA staff would).
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by blug
Two business seats on the direct flights (LAX/SFO to MEL/SYD) can be difficult to get. Business availability is much better if you transit through Asia (e.g. ICN, NRT, TPE, even BKK).
BUT if you're diligent (as in constantly checking for availability especially at the crack of dawn) and flexible with your dates, you will get it. Ever since they added the LAX-MEL flight I see the others open all the time now, even in F (which is only 10k more each way).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.