Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Charter's 747 (N194UA) Hull Punctured in July Airport Mishap

Old Aug 15, 14, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

A United Airlines (UAL) jumbo jetís hull was punctured in a Chicago airport collision with another plane in July, four people familiar with the matter said, grounding the Boeing Co. (BA) 747 for weeks of repairs. No one was aboard.

The parked 747, one of only 24 jumbos at the carrier, was sliced open by the wing of a wide-body United jet that was being towed, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the details are private. A spokeswoman, Christen David, said the accident occurred July 28 near an OíHare Airport maintenance hangar, while declining to elaborate.

Article released 8/15/2014: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo
Does anyone have pictures?
Old Aug 15, 14, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Based upon the article and the reference to "United Charter," I believe the only aircraft it could be is N194UA. Per flightaware, its last flight was into ORD on 26 July and landed late at around 11pm. It doesn't have a logged flight since then so would guess it's inside one of the hangars getting the "weeks" of repair that is mentioned.
Old Aug 15, 14, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Already being discussed in this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post23320325
Old Aug 15, 14, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Does anyone have pictures? To ground a 747 for that long... Someone screwed up big time. Would that employee be fired or retrained? Do they use wing walkers on something like this?

Perhaps it was weather related?

How much is that lease a month on this AC? A few weeks out of service is not cheap. What charters does UA do with a 747?
Old Aug 15, 14, 8:15 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Yes, there are plenty of pictures. (None that I will share though.)
Old Aug 15, 14, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastair View Post
Yes, there are plenty of pictures. (None that I will share though.)
The 747 suffered damage to its radome, which houses radio antenna equipment in the nose, as well as a punctured pressure bulkhead, one person said. The fixes will cost almost $4 million, another person said.

The bulkhead is crucial because it seals the front of the plane from the atmosphere, ensuring proper air pressure at high altitudes. Faulty repairs to a bulkhead at the rear of a Japan Airlines Co. (9201) 747 were blamed for a 1985 crash that killed 520 people, according to the Aviation Safety Network website.

ďReplacing a pressure bulkhead would be a major repair, pretty expensive,Ē with a bill running into the millions of dollars, Mann said in a telephone interview.
Please don't share the photos. How much is the lease on the AC, or does UA own it? I see the plane was used to move military around. Why on a 747? Fuel guzzler. I guess tax payers don't mind. Who gets to sit in the upper deck? Officers and Generals?

Did the person that caused the damage get fired or promoted to safety supervisor for UA? As ESPN would say... Come on man!
Old Aug 15, 14, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by kettle1 View Post
I see the plane was used to move military around. Why on a 747? Fuel guzzler. I guess tax payers don't mind. Who gets to sit in the upper deck? Officers and Generals?
Why do airlines in general use 747s? Hint: To carry a lot of passengers a long distance all at once.
Old Aug 15, 14, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by united4 View Post
If you can fill it, the 744 is still a profitable plane to fly.
Is it 100% slim line seating? 100% Y? Than yes it is a win-win with the feds. If not - tax payers suck it up.

Who owns the AC and why did it take so long to fix? Photos?
Old Aug 15, 14, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Link to aircraft (without damage) from the article:
http://www.planespotters.net/Product...d-Airlines.php

I actually like the clean lines... not sure if the blue tail/rear is due to Atlas livery influence or holdover from UA tulip livery (least the blue color scheme).
Old Aug 16, 14, 1:07 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Is it 100% slim line seating? 100% Y? Than yes it is a win-win with the feds. If not - tax payers suck it up.
When they originally bought it back into service it was the last of the old-config 747's. ie, old-style lay-flats in F, recliners in C, and standard Y+ and Y. Not sure if they have made any changes since to increase capacity, but I suspect not.
Old Aug 16, 14, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Ever hear of competitive contract bidding?
Old Aug 16, 14, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
It's called the Civil Reserve Air Fleet (CRAF)

The taxpayer isn't "sucking it up". We are saving money.

The reason the CRAF exists is that it helps the Air Force NOT have to buy a bunch of additional airlift capability (very expensive airplanes) just for the chance they need some surge lift capacity.

Remember all those troops that were flown to Desert Storm in United and other 747s? That's the CRAF in action.
Old Aug 16, 14, 3:40 pm

...and why did it take so long to fix? Photos?
An airframe structural repair is not a quick project depending on the extent and location of the damage.

Gain access to the damaged area to map and remove the damaged structures (skin, ribs, stringers, etc.)
Inspect further for possible hidden additional damage
Get/generate engineering documents specifying repair requirements from either Boeing or in-house engineering
Order or manufacture required parts, and wait for any parts that may have required repair by an outside vendor
Perform repair and re-install any components or systems that required removal for access
Perform any required checks and all documentation to return aircraft to service.
Old Aug 16, 14, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The 747 fuselage/pressure bulkhead damage is considerable and being handled by Boeing, 6-week timeframe. The 777 damage is to the wing, but is actually more significant. That airplane will likely require a 2-month plus repair and there was even talk of a write-off.
Old Aug 16, 14, 4:28 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by united4 View Post
One of the articles said the 777 was back in service. What was the 777 involved in this accident?

And why are people so afraid to post pictures?
Because those of us who have access to them are not "official UA spokespersons" and don't publish stuff that is not publicly available.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: