Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Charter's 747 (N194UA) Hull Punctured in July Airport Mishap

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Charter's 747 (N194UA) Hull Punctured in July Airport Mishap

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:57 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Slim line seating doesn't exist in ANY UA widebodies. And no, it is not 100% Y, the nose number is 8194, 81xx are OB config with F/C/Y.

When someone charter the entire plane, it doesn't matter what kind of seating it is, or if the whole plane is full, as someone paid in full. Similarly, years ago TZ use to have a L1011 in all business class, it was used as charter almost exclusively. I suspect UA pick up some of the military charter left from TZ. (TZ was the old ATA, don't confuse with Scoot - a low cost starter by SQ, as Scoot is now using the TZ code)

UA own it, and that's why this plane actually had been to the desert twice and UA can still reactivate it.
Yea, the ATA plane was used for all inclusive luxury month long Africa safari vacations thru their own (or partner) agency. I got ahold of a travel agency circular, the packages started off at about 40k and paid external agencies ginormous commissions per passenger.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Are you sure about N195UA? It still shows as a valid registration (unlike N193UA...cancelled/scrapped 2/14/14)
There are photos of it being dismantled on flickr at TUP. Very sad.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
What do OA/OB/OC stand for? I get that it's a config of some sort, but unsure of their specific connotations.
Back then PMUA had multiple 744 configs, so did 742 too.

744 has OA, OB, and OP, with OC is the current IPTE config.

OA - F18 C80 Y320
OB - F18 C84 Y270 (later become F14 C73 Y+88 Y172)
OC - F12 C52 Y+70 Y240
OP - F36 C123 Y142

742 has YR and YJ.

YR - F18 C79 Y272
YJ - F35 C109 Y124

OA and OP phased out when it starts to install E+, OP usually only flew ORD-NRT and SFO-HKG. My very first UA flight was on a OP flying ORD-NRT, and because of high number of C class, I got op up from Y to C.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Aug 18, 2014 at 4:11 pm
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by united4
Definitely not a dumb question. As for the six retired 747s that were sent to the desert around 2008/2009, N194UA was one of them and returned to service with UA, then went to Atlas, then UA again.

N195UA & N193UA were flown to Tupelo, MS and scrapped sadly.
That makes me sad; N195UA was the aircraft on which I flew LAX-HKG back in 1998 on UA1; my one and only landing at Kai Tak.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
The 747 fuselage/pressure bulkhead damage is considerable and being handled by Boeing, 6-week timeframe.
For the curious, this episode of World's Toughest Fixes covers the replacement of a pressure bulkhead on a 767: http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...es/boeing-767/
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Just kind of amused to see this thread. One of my longest delays occurred when N194UA had an engine struck by some sort of a ramp vehicle when it was doing the domestic ORD-SFO turns. Big wait in ORD, but I got some nice compensation and a nice upper deck lie-flat in the new config subbed in.

Seems like people just like to drive things into this plane.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by kettle1
Please don't share the photos. How much is the lease on the AC, or does UA own it? I see the plane was used to move military around. Why on a 747? Fuel guzzler. I guess tax payers don't mind. Who gets to sit in the upper deck? Officers and Generals?

Did the person that caused the damage get fired or promoted to safety supervisor for UA? As ESPN would say... Come on man!
just as a note on the JL accident. The repair was fine but temporary. JL overflew the maximum number of cycles on the repair job before it blew.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
So lets see some photos, what's the big deal anyway? wont photos show up on the NTSB website investigative section?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
So lets see some photos, what's the big deal anyway?
Call UA and ask. The PR folks are the only ones authorized to share them.

Asking the employees participating here to do something likely to get them fired is pretty ridiculous.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:12 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Back then PMUA had multiple 744 configs, so did 742 too.

744 has OA, OB, and OP, with OC is the current IPTE config.

OA - F18 C80 Y320
OB - F18 C84 Y270 (later become F14 C73 Y+88 Y172)
OC - F12 C52 Y+70 Y240
OP - F36 C123 Y142

742 has YR and YJ.

YR - F18 C79 Y272
YJ - F35 C109 Y124

OA and OP phased out when it starts to install E+, OP usually only flew ORD-NRT and SFO-HKG. My very first UA flight was on a OP flying ORD-NRT, and because of high number of C class, I got op up from Y to C.
OP also flew JFK-NRT until the 777 replaced it on that route.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
So lets see some photos, what's the big deal anyway? wont photos show up on the NTSB website investigative section?
Probably photo's that the NTSB memorialized.

But as far as fastair releasing his.... I would rather he not have to go through a corrective action from management.

Originally Posted by united4
There are photos of it being dismantled on flickr at TUP. Very sad.
Do you have the a link to them? Not that I don't believe you, I want to see them. (I searched a boat load of phrases to find them, and came up empty. As N195UA holds a special place in my heart as it was my one and only intl op-up).
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by Baze
It wouldn't surprise me if they cancelled the A350 orders and replaced them with 747-8. Not saying they will, but wouldn't surprise me.
That would surprise me, as it flies in the face of United's longhaul fleet renewal strategies under both Tilton and Smisek.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
That would surprise me, as it flies in the face of United's longhaul fleet renewal strategies under both Tilton and Smisek.
As well as DL who UA is trying to emulate.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
While I agree it does indeed fly in the face of the plan in place, the only wild card is that Boeing is super duper hungry to sell some 748's (IIRC, there are about 50 orders, and about 1/2 have been delivered). I also seem to recall they *could* produce 2 a month, so that leaves a hole starting 2 years from now.

Much like airbus did to pmUA.... pmUA was an all Boeing fleet.... Airbus came and gave them a deal they could not refuse.

Not saying it is likely.... just saying it could be a factor.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
While I agree it does indeed fly in the face of the plan in place, the only wild card is that Boeing is super duper hungry to sell some 748's (IIRC, there are about 50 orders, and about 1/2 have been delivered). I also seem to recall they *could* produce 2 a month, so that leaves a hole starting 2 years from now.

Much like airbus did to pmUA.... pmUA was an all Boeing fleet.... Airbus came and gave them a deal they could not refuse.

Not saying it is likely.... just saying it could be a factor.
Maybe, but it's outweighed by multiple other factors, including a likely poor residual value on the 748s due to minimal market demand (which makes the finance team nervous because poor resale can put the financial backers underwater on the deal).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.