Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Comparing sUA and sCO inflight service circa Aug 2014.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

First let me preface by saying that I'm a long long time United flyer (1989), and was not a CO fan at all, avoiding CO at all costs, and was seriously unhappy with the "merger" when it happened. Right after the merger, I even actively tried to pick the sUA flights.

Over the last 9 or so months, I've been getting on more sCO flights, almost even I'd say, and I have to say that I've had significantly more good experiences on sCO than on sUA. On the whole, the sCO crew just seem more pleasant, younger (so, less jaded maybe?), more enthusiastic, and just more believable when they say "we appreciate your business". Now, I've had some excellent sUA service as well, but it seems it's not that often or consistent these days. I just get more indifference, and attitude, and more "I really don't want to be here" feel from more sUA flights. (How's this for "I don't give a ....": a couple of weeks ago, after the whole eco skies announcement, the fa was stuffing everything in the recycling bag... papers, cans, trash, even the napkins in 1st class, and just winks when she realized I saw here doing it)

It's to the point where I'm now picking sCO flights over sUA flights.

Is it time for the sUA crew to "get with the program"? I understand that there are contract issues at hand. In the past, I'd actually sympathized with the sUA crew, feeling bad that they seem to have been "shafted", but is it time to either move on or move out? I mean I believe there are lots of people who'd do a lot to get a shot at an FA job at CO/UA... is it that raw of deal (to answer your question, no, I don't know).

What's your experience?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:14 pm

I find many IAH-based CO crews to be rude and condescending. They act like preschool teachers.

Other CO crews and most UA crews have been much better.

It is hard to enjoy the UA crews though since the coach seats on the Airbuses make you feel like you are in Guantanamo Bay...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by macagain

What's your experience?
sCO crews out of IAD transcon have been very, very pleasant. sCO crews out of EWR TATL are great until the end of meal service, after which, they disappear. Too many sCO crews congregate in the galley and spent too much time loudly complaining about the merger and their sUA colleagues.

sUA service hasn't changed. Asian based and European based flight crews are consistently the best, and domestically, it's a crapshoot.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
While I too have generally better experiences with the PMCO crews, I think unless each person is literally flying 100's of flights a month, it is too hard to have a meaningful statistic.

Most of us on here fly a lot more than the general public, but even at like 10-30 flights per month, our sample is too really narrow to mean much
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It may depend on the base. As an IAH based pax, I get a mix of metal domestically and internationally (since I have to connect - no nonstops to PEK/BCN/GVA/BRU/SGN/HKG), and I don't see much difference between them. Both subs have a lot of variety depending on the FA you get.

Whereas I'm pretty sure I've had the same crew on every LH/OZ/CX flight I've ever had in my life.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:59 pm
Suspended

I find UA crews to be much more professional than the ex-CO crews. I avoid ex-CO aircraft and the crews associated at all costs. Too much condescending attitude to their new employer, United Airlines, and the arrogance from before the merger is still evident in many of them, especially in EWR. I will say that I've had plenty of very polite ex-CO crews, and there are rotten apples on the legacy United side, I just prefer legacy UA crews and until recently, the amenities on UA a/c

And this "sUA" "sCO" terms need to go on FT. We shouldn't continue to use Jeff's terms. They're all UA crews, some of them are ex-CO. CO is DEAD.

Last edited by united4; Aug 14, 2014 at 8:06 pm
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
One of the reasons line personnel in a big company such as UA may have low morale (or a bad attitude) is because they are either feeling pushed or disrespected by senior management.

I'm sure the vast majority of the line personnel at both subsidiaries take pride in their work, but if you look at the preposterously one-sided labor agreements senior management has proposed that very much favors portions of the sCO labor force at the expense of the sUA labor force, I don't find it too surprising that the sUA group may somewhat be lacking in good cheer and pep...

Ultimately, this airline needs to treat its entire work force with equal dignity and respect, and until that is achieved, there will always be mud in the water...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by united4
And this "sUA" "sCO" terms need to go on FT. They're UA crews, some of them are ex-CO. CO is DEAD.
Well, CO may indeed be dead, but--unfortunately--sCO and sUA is very much a part of the reality as the airline still largely operates as two independent subsidiaries with very little crossover.

That's a huge, corrosive and inefficient issue that ought to have been dealt with by senior management and continues to fester.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
I have had to fly from IAH to DEN on the 787 flight in BF many times. The sCO have been rude and limited in their service. I found similar service from NRT to LAX. I wish it would change back to the 3 class 777 so I can fly United again to NRT instead of American which has been a great alternative. I did like a crew I had once on an RJ from CLE to Toronto and from IAH to BJX. The mainline crews though from IAH on the 787 flight to DEN have not been good. When I fly internationally to Asia I make sure it is on a 3 class plane so I get a better crew and service. If I have to fly a 2 class United plane to Asia I choose another airline as I value service when I fly.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Regardless of flight number most of the cabin crew are fine. Sometimes they are exceptional, and on occasion they are crabby or seem disinterested. There are differences from flight to flight on UA, of course, which is one thing that makes flying SQ less interesting than flying UA to me - absolutely no personality to rave or rant about on the post-flight survey.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Well, CO may indeed be dead, but--unfortunately--sCO and sUA is very much a part of the reality as the airline still largely operates as two independent subsidiaries with very little crossover.

That's a huge, corrosive and inefficient issue that ought to have been dealt with by senior management and continues to fester.
Bookmark this thread for the merger's 10th anniversary celebration as the sCO and sUA comparisons will surely still be alive and well.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Bookmark this thread for the merger's 10th anniversary celebration as the sCO and sUA comparisons will surely still be alive and well.
Perhaps, although I sincerely hope that the actual subsidiaries are a thing of the past by then...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I'm sure the vast majority of the line personnel at both subsidiaries take pride in their work, but if you look at the preposterously one-sided labor agreements senior management has proposed that very much favors portions of the sCO labor force at the expense of the sUA labor force, I don't find it too surprising that the sUA group may somewhat be lacking in good cheer and pep...
This is a tough one. The CO contract and work rules were a LOT more efficient and productive than the UA contract. Folks could work more if they wanted, and earn more if they wanted. They are actually paid bonus for flying more than their normal hours (on top of just the extra hourly rate). This is good for the employee and good for the company as they can cover more routes and hours with less employees, and paying less benefits to part timers etc. The UA work rules are way more aimed at better work rules (long layovers, better protections for cancelled trips etc).

The company is of course going to prefer the CO way as they can get the work done with less employees and more efficiently. Quick example:

if there are 1000 hours to be flown on CO, and each CO FA flies 100 hours per month, then it takes only 10 CO FA's to complete the work. The company happy, the FA's that want to fly the extra are happy to earn the extra money. No CO FA has to fly more than the minimum amount, so if they want to fly their 75-80 hours per month, then that's cool too, they just want to retain the right to fly more if they want to. The Union, and the UA side want them not to be able to fly all the extra as it means less flight attendants needed, less paying dues etc

if there are 1000 hours to be flown on UA, and each UA FA flies 75 hours per month, then it takes only 13.33 UA FA's to complete the work. That means an extra 3 employees getting pensions, benefits, health etc etc

Above is a very simplistic view, but it gives you an idea of part of the problem.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
This is a tough one. The CO contract and work rules were a LOT more efficient and productive than the UA contract. Folks could work more if they wanted, and earn more if they wanted. They are actually paid bonus for flying more than their normal hours (on top of just the extra hourly rate). This is good for the employee and good for the company as they can cover more routes and hours with less employees, and paying less benefits to part timers etc. The UA work rules are way more aimed at better work rules (long layovers, better protections for cancelled trips etc).

The company is of course going to prefer the CO way as they can get the work done with less employees and more efficiently. Quick example:

if there are 1000 hours to be flown on CO, and each CO FA flies 100 hours per month, then it takes only 10 CO FA's to complete the work. The company happy, the FA's that want to fly the extra are happy to earn the extra money. No CO FA has to fly more than the minimum amount, so if they want to fly their 75-80 hours per month, then that's cool too, they just want to retain the right to fly more if they want to. The Union, and the UA side want them not to be able to fly all the extra as it means less flight attendants needed, less paying dues etc

if there are 1000 hours to be flown on UA, and each UA FA flies 75 hours per month, then it takes only 13.33 UA FA's to complete the work. That means an extra 3 employees getting pensions, benefits, health etc etc

Above is a very simplistic view, but it gives you an idea of part of the problem.
I am lead to believe the sUA contract has lower wage rates to reflect the additional pension/benefits/health overhead.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite

Yes, but then again, the most effective management and corporate governance knows how to juggle balance-sheet efficiencies with the fact that actual human beings are out there busting their tushies getting the job done.

In my experience, the best outcomes are those that are able to accomplish tangible efficiencies with the intangibles of respect and pride.

If more of the UA methods could be built into a revised agreement, I believe it would go a long way to uniting the factions and would serve to make the airline operate more smoothly, and thus more efficiently, meaning, of course, more profitably.

In the end, the best road to an objective is not always the straight line...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.