Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award travel to Latin America Christmas/New Years

Old Aug 14, 14, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold

Hi all,

I've never actually booked an award flight on United or partners using miles before. I'm looking to travel to UIO this December right around Christmas/New Years, which I'm guessing is the peak time to travel.

I see no availability for saver economy fares. However, I am finding a combination of flights which would be in Saver Business both ways (total 70,000 miles + copay), which seems like a good use of my miles.

I know that for other destinations, saver availability sometimes opens up as you get closer to the date. Would I be wise in waiting a month or 2 for saver economy to open up? Or should I just get the saver business and be done with it? Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 14, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by shadowsjc View Post
Hi all,

I've never actually booked an award flight on United or partners using miles before. I'm looking to travel to UIO this December right around Christmas/New Years, which I'm guessing is the peak time to travel.

I see no availability for saver economy fares. However, I am finding a combination of flights which would be in Saver Business both ways (total 70,000 miles + copay), which seems like a good use of my miles.

I know that for other destinations, saver availability sometimes opens up as you get closer to the date. Would I be wise in waiting a month or 2 for saver economy to open up? Or should I just get the saver business and be done with it? Thanks!
Latin america flights are typically 100% full that time of year. IMO it would be extremely risky to wait to book.
Old Aug 14, 14, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Saver seats are VERY tough to get a hold of around this time. Had to split myself and girlfriend from EZE-EWR 2 years back. (She was saver EZE-LIM-EWR, I was on paid EZE-EWR)

What's the routing? through PTY on CM? or LIM? Just curious..
Old Aug 18, 14, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tblack15 View Post
Saver seats are VERY tough to get a hold of around this time. Had to split myself and girlfriend from EZE-EWR 2 years back. (She was saver EZE-LIM-EWR, I was on paid EZE-EWR)

What's the routing? through PTY on CM? or LIM? Just curious..
My routing was EWR - SAL - UIO on Avianca/Taca. 70k per person on Business Saver both ways.
Old Aug 18, 14, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, AA, DL
Suggestion is to book now

Originally Posted by shadowsjc View Post
Hi all,

We have lived in Quito for 26 years (and 2 days). The chances of saver economy opening up for those dates are almost nil. I would suggest booking the saver business seats.
Old Aug 19, 14, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ecuacoflyer View Post
We have lived in Quito for 26 years (and 2 days). The chances of saver economy opening up for those dates are almost nil. I would suggest booking the saver business seats.
Thanks - I did wind up booking the saver business seats via Taca. Hoping to make the most of my United Gold status before it expires!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: