IAH-MUC/MUC-IAH Going To Last Long?

Old Aug 12, 14, 9:55 am
Original Poster

I was looking at booking a flight on this route and I have noticed that the flight loads are rather light (more so departing IAH). What are the odds that this flight stays around for long? Especially with LH and UA both having flights to Frankfurt as well.
Old Aug 12, 14, 9:59 am

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold

The route starter not too long ago. Perhaps 788 is in the cards. Loads are light indeed. I cleared 4GPUs on this route.
Old Aug 12, 14, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
They did some 20 op-ups on this route a week ago.

Could be light business traffic due to summer vacations.
Old Aug 12, 14, 10:39 am
RJ1
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by channa View Post
Could be light business traffic due to summer vacations.
Agree.

Scanning some dates in mid September, seems to pick up a bit. Perhaps for Oktoberfest.
Old Aug 12, 14, 11:02 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tonykline1947 View Post
Perhaps 788 is in the cards. Loads are light indeed.
Seems like a good fit. Especially with w/ 2 flights a day IAH-FRA.
Old Aug 12, 14, 11:16 am

I just took this flight a couple of days ago, food and service were excellent, crew were pleasant and friendly and there was only a couple of seats left upfront.
Old Aug 12, 14, 11:26 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
I have started connecting through MUC to central Europe, and it has been a pleasant change from FRA. I hope the IAH-MUC flight sticks around when we are finally off of our assignment here in St. John's.
Old Aug 12, 14, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold
Will be on this one later this month in one of the stand alone C-seats and have another one booked for next February, so doing my part

Hope it stays as I would prefer connecting at MUC instead of FRA and prefer this routing compared to TXL - EWR and then facing another six hours across the continent to the West coast.
Old Aug 12, 14, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA GS
A minor factor in favor of the IAH/MUC flight is that there are several Western cities where there are nonstop flights to IAH (versus ORD). These include SJC, RNO, ONT, ELP, TUS. Add nearby regional flights and Mexico flights, IAH becomes a more significant hub, which may justify flights to both FRA and MUC.

I've taken the IAH/MUC a couple of times this year and much prefer MUC to FRA. Unfortunately, they are still expanding MUC so I've had to take a bus from the airport to the terminal. Of course, this happens at FRA too.
Old Aug 12, 14, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
I was just on this flight today and last week. IAH-MUC, I think there were 2 open seats (after upgrades). I was in 1L and the seat next to me was open. (no climbing, too bad I couldn't use any of the width, but I did use the extra pillow since they seem to be downgraded now) Today's flight MUC-IAH, had about 8 open seats that got filled with upgrades. One open seat left because the 2 people left on the UG list didn't want to separate. Also, on today's MUC-IAH flight, the head FA, kept referring to our cabin as "First Class". She was very friendly and helpful asking if we had our "first class" headphones and "first class" pillow. She even went and got me a "special gift" which got my hopes up only to be dashed when she just brought me the standard not so special amenity kit.

Last edited by eng3; Aug 12, 14 at 4:38 pm
Old Aug 12, 14, 8:38 pm
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by PBAudit View Post
A minor factor in favor of the IAH/MUC flight is that there are several Western cities where there are nonstop flights to IAH (versus ORD). These include SJC, RNO, ONT, ELP, TUS. Add nearby regional flights and Mexico flights, IAH becomes a more significant hub...
Conversely, I'm looking at IAH-MUC because the backtrack from CLE will add precious PQMs to the itinerary.
Old Aug 12, 14, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; DL Plat; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Marriott Plat; Global Entry
Being here in DC, I certainly prefer IAD-MUC over IAD-FRA. MUC is simply easier to connect at than FRA. So, I certainly think IAH-MUC should stay so that customers have plentiful options.

I remember reading somewhere a year or two ago that FRA is pretty congested in part because of a night operations curfew. While a curfew should not have any effect upon TATL operations, I believe the point was that there is more room for growth at MUC than FRA.
Old Aug 12, 14, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Originally Posted by 787fan View Post
I agree MUC is a cleaner experience than FRA
Agree -- and it's not even close. FRA is an aging airport that is gradually being brought up to modern standards. If you come in at the right place and your connecting flight is close then it is manageable - but if you don't it's a challenge. Last week I really had to hustle through FRA as I came in to the "wrong" terminal -- and to say it's a long haul and a pain getting around FRA is an understatement.... I always choose MUC if I can - incredibly efficient and operates really well - just less flights from places I come and go from in central Europe...
Old Aug 12, 14, 10:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
IAH-MUC is very important for premium german car manufacturers that promote the ED program
Old Aug 12, 14, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm on the IAH-MUC roundtrip in early Dec., partly for the extra PQM from BNA and partly because who wants to risk trying to fly from the East Coast in winter. My flight is pretty empty right now - I'll have to stay in E+ because I'll only be Plat and will have Mr. rstlsgirl in tow, but fingers crossed for empty middle rows to make our own "lie flats...."

Search this Thread
Search Engine: