Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First flight in UA C ... what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond

We're flying IAD-CDG next weekend as a couple.

We're in 4K/L which is the farthest forward pair available. There's also 5A/B and all of row 6, so I gather we're in the best seats given what's available?

I'm mostly wondering about the meal service, though, and how long it's going to last given the short flight. I'm trying to decide if it's worth just skipping dinner and trying to go straight to sleep, or whether the noise from the meal service will keep me up anyway. Is the food likely to be worth eating in any case?

Also, with breakfast will they serve pax as they wake up, or is there a single breakfast service that you either sleep through or don't? Same question on whether or not it's edible... Also, if I do decide to sleep through breakfast will they still get me a cup of tea + some quick carbs or am I SOL?

Any other advice other than switching to AF F?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd review this thread for a very good discussion of food and drink on UA's international flights. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ess-class.html

As far as eating vs sleeping on this flight, that's a personal choice. I like to eat, even though the food isn't what it used to be, but others would tell you to sleep.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
UA BF is pretty good, even if others will tell you otherwise.

Food is pretty good, though yes, not what it used to be. I stay up for the food because it is worth it. If you're really worried about sleep, you can ask for the express meal service. I would still say stay up for the whole thing though.

FAs will often serve PAX as they wake up, but you may have to flag down a FA to get your breakfast. On my most recent flight, I was sitting in the middle seat on a 767 and I woke up to being flanked many both FAs passing out bread to other PAX. I was immediately asked if I wanted the breakfast and a FA brought it right over.

I think you'll enjoy your flight ^
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You can ask for the executive meal option and they will bring it to you all at once (appetizer/salad/selected entree). Tell them you'll skip cheese/sundae - shortest way to eat on-board and get to sleep (other bringing your own on and eating as you're taxiing/taking off). Tell the FA as you're ordering that you'd like to knock off ASAP and some will bring/clear the dishes quickly. One problem is some FAs serve you the executive meal option and then don't clear your tray until they clear the rest of the cabin's. If I really want to sleep and that happens, I'll take the remaining items to the galley (which is usually on the way to the lav, anyway)

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 10, 2014 at 11:44 am
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I like to eat even on these "short" flights. It actually gives me a little time to settle down, there's no way I would be able to get on the plane and once taken off turn the seat down and fall asleep.

Usually they serve as PAX wake up so you won't "miss it" unless you are zonked out until it's seat backs and tray tables up time. On some flights I have the FA ask if I would like to be woken for breakfast. On my most recent EWR-TXL I woke up when we had about 55 min left in the flight and I asked the FA for food and said "don't worry I'll scarf it down fast". They made an announcement shortly after that the galley was closing and there was maybe 2 pax in J who woke up after that and were SOL.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1k, BA silver, HH D
If this is your first experience in business all together (as opposed to first time on United), you might enjoy spending a little time awake. It's kind of meat the first few times. If you've got a return flight in C as well, I'd be inclined to sleep on the iAd-CDG leg and "enjoy" the service on the way back. It's a short flight and you'll wake up somewhat rested if you can pop an ambien just before take off. Meal service runs until about 2 hours after wheels up. You can order executive dining, and they'll bring everything out at once. I typically prefer sleeping on the short tatl flights, opting to eat at terminal ~2hours before take off. A good set of Howard leight ear plugs and a little pharmaceutical help, and you're good to go upon landing. You're not missing anything with breakfast service. You can typically get coffee and some sort of croissant until about 30 minutes before touch down depending on crew.

Have fun!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Skip dinner - food in the terminal is better anyway.

Getting something after breakfast service is a crapshoot depending on the crew's mood.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
We're flying IAD-CDG next weekend as a couple.

We're in 4K/L which is the farthest forward pair available. There's also 5A/B and all of row 6, so I gather we're in the best seats given what's available?

I'm mostly wondering about the meal service, though, and how long it's going to last given the short flight. I'm trying to decide if it's worth just skipping dinner and trying to go straight to sleep, or whether the noise from the meal service will keep me up anyway. Is the food likely to be worth eating in any case?

Also, with breakfast will they serve pax as they wake up, or is there a single breakfast service that you either sleep through or don't? Same question on whether or not it's edible... Also, if I do decide to sleep through breakfast will they still get me a cup of tea + some quick carbs or am I SOL?

Any other advice other than switching to AF F?
I have flown AF F on the A-380 and I can tell you it's nothing exceptional (in my case, unbelievably, it was an op-up from premium economy!). On the other hand, I love flying the AF A-380, but I actually prefer their business class to the FC cabin, mainly because it's upstairs and thus a little quieter.

I have taken the redeye to Europe nearly 200 times and I have never been able to sleep adequately because the flight is too short and it's too early East Coast time (the IAD-CDG flight on UA lands at 12:55 AM ET).

My advice is go ahead and have dinner. That part of the business-class experience. You'll be able to sleep the following night in your Paris hotel room.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I have taken the redeye to Europe nearly 200 times and I have never been able to sleep adequately because the flight is too short and it's too early East Coast time (the IAD-CDG flight on UA lands at 12:55 AM ET).

My advice is go ahead and have dinner. That part of the business-class experience. You'll be able to sleep the following night in your Paris hotel room.
Since it's your first time, I'd agree with the above. Just lower your expectations when it comes to the wines they will offer. They are dreadful.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
The lights stay on through dinner so you might as well enjoy it, it takes a fairly long time, took this flight two days ago, the FA'S were very nice. Food was ok
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Eat dinner while watching a movie, take a quick nap for 2-3 hours or so, and wake up as they serve breakfast. I find that it's pretty noisy at breakfast service anyway, and people start opening the shades (which is fine, let's not start that debate). That's usually enough to get me to bed time the next day, although a little earlier than usual.

Neither meal will be great, but they're ok. If you're not too picky, my advice is stay away from the beef and pork dishes, fish is the safest bet. The meat dishes are more often dry and over cooked than not.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond

Thanks all for input. I've flown TATL in F maybe 2 dozen segments but C only once and it was the other direction (BRU-IAD on SN).

Good to know about the executive meal option... That + a sleep aid sounds like a winner. And I guess if I sleep through breakfast, I'll have plenty of options in Paris since it's so early.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Thanks all for input. I've flown TATL in F maybe 2 dozen segments but C only once and it was the other direction (BRU-IAD on SN).

Good to know about the executive meal option... That + a sleep aid sounds like a winner. And I guess if I sleep through breakfast, I'll have plenty of options in Paris since it's so early.
To each his own, but I don't find that the express/executive meal option helps me sleep. First, the noise of the meal service will continue through the end of the regular meal service. Second, as JVPhoto wrote, I find the meal settles me down.

If you can truly go to sleep in a noisy airplane in a what is a lie-flat seat, but a seat nevertheless (its bed-like qualities are pretty basic, since it's so narrow and hard) at what will be about 6:45 or 7:00 PM ET, then I would be quite impressed.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I also can't rely on pills to get to sleep they just can last too long. The ONE time I did an ambien on a TATL it was the worst morning ever shuffling through the airport and getting to my hotel.

A cocktail before getting on the plane, a PBD with some hooch in it and then one or two more on the flight with the meal by that time 2 hours into the flight it's time to zonk out for a few hours. The dehydrated hang over last only about 30 minutes.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
70 movies and nothing to watch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.