Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Shorter connection = higher price: UA fare policy issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shorter connection = higher price: UA fare policy issue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While logical approach, IME, corporate accounting departments typically are not high on such flexiablity.

But we are drifting OT.
Post 13 is probably the best answer. Ok, back on topic. What was the topic again?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Yup, I just almost paid $30 more than I needed to because I didn't check the itinerary against a multi-segment search.

I called back and the phone agent couldn't break the married segments to unlock the lower bucket on the second leg. Web support had no problem doing it and refunded the difference to my credit card.

Thanks to this thread, or I would have forgotten to check!

Last edited by anc-ord772; Aug 8, 2014 at 4:06 pm
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Airlines always price the market never the itinerary. This is how one can sometimes find A->B->C lower than B->C. What does the competition charge for the same travel time? Does UA offer a shorter overall transit than others on that route?

Without a doubt they sell the segment with the short connection at a higher price because they know they will sell it at the higher price. Seems completely logical to me.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
OP is back.

Thanks for the lessons, all. Since I've only lived in NYC and LA, I dont have that much experience with the nuances of connections -- I'm spoiled by nonstops.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CO FF
OP is back.

Thanks for the lessons, all. Since I've only lived in NYC and LA, I dont have that much experience with the nuances of connections -- I'm spoiled by nonstops.
You're not the only one. I sort of knew these pricing aberrations were out there, but this thread has served as a great reminder to try different options if connecting.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
While charging a different fare for the cities/flights is their prerogative charging a different fare for the exact same flights based on how one fills in the search boxes is probably on the far side of deceptive business practices. It is crap like this which makes the consumer not trust airlines because they're not honest about how they're actually pricing things. The systems can and often will price end-on-end fares where it makes for a cheaper flight than the through fare. That United (and others) is choosing to manipulate their fare systems to actively block these unless you search differently is shady.
I know there have been a few debates on this topic on other threads, However, IME, much more likely to be a bug in the website that has never been fixed allowing an A-C itinerary with a connection in B to be priced based on A-B and B-C availability, instead of properly pricing it based on the A-C availability. Essentially, the site isn't doing the extra check for married segment availability. Don't really want to go OT on Apollo vs. Shares, but it's interesting to note that the PMUA site would not allow this - it would do the extra check when searched as a multi-city and correctly price it as point to point, every time.

In which case, the question becomes is it still "deceptive" if it is offering a price for an itinerary searched as multi-city that it never intended to offer.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I know there have been a few debates on this topic on other threads, However, IME, much more likely to be a bug in the website that has never been fixed allowing an A-C itinerary with a connection in B to be priced based on A-B and B-C availability, instead of properly pricing it based on the A-C availability. Essentially, the site isn't doing the extra check for married segment availability. Don't really want to go OT on Apollo vs. Shares, but it's interesting to note that the PMUA site would not allow this - it would do the extra check when searched as a multi-city and correctly price it as point to point, every time.

In which case, the question becomes is it still "deceptive" if it is offering a price for an itinerary searched as multi-city that it never intended to offer.
It is not GDS platform issue necessarily as both DL and AA have similar "problems" in their systems.

As for the source/cause of the problem, that's a tough one to nail down. They're either unethical or incompetent. Neither is a particularly positive place to be.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not an UA issue. I have seen this connection issue on many airlines. Simple supply and demand using married segments availablity to control yields.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
The problem is, you're all trying to apply logic, reason, and basic micro-economic analysis to specific fare pricing .....
It may not be logical from a passenger's perspective. However, it is perfectly logical from yield management perspective where high demand connections are priced higher.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
International flights

Originally Posted by TerryK
Not an UA issue. I have seen this connection issue on many airlines. Simple supply and demand using married segments availablity to control yields.
The married segments are very tricky when you do multiple destinations search. If you break the destinations the wrong way, the price can be easily doubled. If you just do a RT search, you may pay $300 more. Here is an example: SAN-MNL-NRT-SAN, compared to SAN-MNL-SAN. Of course, your inbound flights will be very different from these two searches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.