Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sorting out routing UA award with stopovers to/from Nepal

Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents

Excited about a trip, will have 3 weeks trekking in nepal. But on the way there / way back, weighing a few options via UA star alliance award. Any guidance? (and apologies if this is more of a *A forum question)

Thinking I'll do sea-sin and hang out for a few days as i have an office there and can get into the time zone while working / the girlfriend can see singapore.

Then either

sin-ktm on the same award ticket (ktm being desination, sin being a stopover) and on the way back maybe fly on my own dime to delhi and continue the award as delhi-sea, or just go back direct ktm-sea.

alternatively, book a separate ticket likely taking the train from singapore to kuala lumpur and flying kul-ktm to make sin an open jaw, then pickup the original award as ktm- something, stopover and something-sea. the something options vary: dubai, bali, phuket, bangkok, etc appear to all be valid routings on an award ticket.

Last edited by brarrr; Aug 8, 2014 at 12:40 pm
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: most of them
This is probably better addressed in the UA forum since the folks there will know the ins and outs of the program.

Just looking at the rules on united.com though:
"Two open jaws are permitted per roundtrip award. For example, you can fly from New York/Newark to London and return from Paris to Washington Dulles.

A stopover is permitted on roundtrip award travel only. One stopover is
permitted, unless otherwise noted. Additional mileage may be required for Saver Awards within the continental U.S., Alaska and Canada. For travel booked on or after February 1, 2014, a stopover is permitted only on certain roundtrip itineraries. Additional mileage may be required."

So it looks like stopovers aren't automatic, but are only allowed sometimes depending on the itinerary.

But the two open jaws rule is still in effect. Essentially the same as booking 2 one ways.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
As this appears to pertain specifically to UA award tickets, the thread has been moved here to the United Airlines forum where it will likely attract replies from more knowledgable members.

Safe travels!

~Moderator, Asia Forum
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Singapore uses Silkair from SIN to KTM
Not sure you can redeem onto them as Silkair is not a *A partner
Thai does fly BKK->KTM using the regional 777's
You could do SIN->BKK->KTM without much fuss though and probably nab an extra 20 hour layover in BKK
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I did a trip to Nepal earlier this year. Link in my signature to a trip report.

You have three options to get to KTM on *A -- via BKK on Thai, DEL on AI and IST on TK.

If you did fly via SIN and did a stopover there, you would then have to continue SIN-BKK-KTM on Thai -- which is not a bad way to go -- but unless you WANT to go to SIN no reason to get there.

If you haven't done IST before, I highly recommend this as a stopover. In addition, you can get on to TK (IST-IAH, IST-IAD, IST-ORD) for the trip back to SEA which is usually a good experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.