Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

upgrading with miles - will they split me up from my companion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Hi there. Looking to use miles and $$$ to upgrade to Business for myself and my travel companion. I am lowly gold.

Fare availability looks like this:
J1, JN1, C1, D0, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H2, HN2, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

Grim, I know. Defo not a sure thing and there are not even two seats available as far as I can tell.

Questions:
Would they upgrade one of us but not the other?
IF two seats became available, would they put us together or would we be split up?

Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:42 am

You should be together on the upgrade list. Assuming one clears and the other does not, then you would be split up and have the decision of trading that seat to try to move back and sit with your companion.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Right, and I guess if that happens and we decide to sit together back in coach (I am not sure even flipping for it would make either of us feel good about it) United would refund the miles / $$$ for the business seat?

And IF we were both upgraded, would we sit together or just wherever there is room? Do they try to put people together - curious about this because I would assume all seats are assigned way ahead of time.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Roar
Right, and I guess if that happens and we decide to sit together back in coach (I am not sure even flipping for it would make either of us feel good about it) United would refund the miles / $$$ for the business seat?

And IF we were both upgraded, would we sit together or just wherever there is room? Do they try to put people together - curious about this because I would assume all seats are assigned way ahead of time.
Wherever there is room. If there are seats open you can choose of course. Otherwise you can politely ask a fellow passenger to trade seats, but no guarantees of course.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
No, UA would not refund the miles/$$ if you voluntary downgrade at the gate. Ahead of the flight, yes (remember the fees), if your original fare class is still available. As for sitting together, I have never had an issue moving to sit together (even if both of us had to move elsewhere) within the business class cabin.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Oh, wow, interesting. Thank you.

So, if I got got upgraded and my friend did not, and I declined the upgrade, I would still be charged.

Hmmm....that puts a different spin on this decision. I don't think we are feeling generous enough to give the other person their upgrade (and not feel a tiny bit jealous....) and it does not look like there are that many seats available ---so both of us getting this upgrade looks very very unlikely (from what I can tell re what's left up front....)

I would be curious to know if everyone agrees with my conclusion that given the fare class availability, it's going to be extremely unlikely that we would both be upgraded.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With J1/JN1, essentially no chance.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K

So, if I got got upgraded and my friend did not, and I declined the upgrade, I would still be charged.

Hmmm....that puts a different spin on this decision. I don't think we are feeling generous enough to give the other person their upgrade (and not feel a tiny bit jealous....) and it does not look like there are that many seats available ---so both of us getting this upgrade looks very very unlikely (from what I can tell re what's left up front....)

I would be curious to know if everyone agrees with my conclusion that given the fare class availability, it's going to be extremely unlikely that we would both be upgraded.
Agreed
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

You can't see the waitlist. Even if upgrade availability opens for 1 seat, there are likely to be Plats and 1K's ahead of you on the list. My guess is with the availability numbers in your first post, its unlikely either of you would be upgraded anyway. In that case, you'd be refunded. Some on this forum might have a slightly more educated guess if we knew the route, but it would still be just a guess.

When I'm in this situation, especially on a long international flight, its much more important to me to be seated next to my companion than to fight over upgrades. Only you can decide for your situation of course.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
You should be together on the upgrade list. Assuming one clears and the other does not, then you would be split up and have the decision of trading that seat to try to move back and sit with your companion.
I've been out of the upgrade game for a while, so forgive me for asking... But this is a new thing? It used to be, if you and a companion on the same PNR were waitlisted, and one upgrade seat became available, it would skip past you to the next single on the list. It took two open seats at one time to get the upgrade for both pax.

We are waitlisted using RPUs. Does this mean if one seat opens -- and assuming we're 1 and 2 on the list -- our PNR will automatically split giving one of us the seat? Or do I need to request that the PNR be split?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Hi there. Looking to use miles and $$$ to upgrade to Business for myself and my travel companion. I am lowly gold.

Fare availability looks like this:
J1, JN1, C1, D0, Z0, ZN0, P0, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H2, HN2, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

Grim, I know. Defo not a sure thing and there are not even two seats available as far as I can tell.

Questions:
Would they upgrade one of us but not the other?
IF two seats became available, would they put us together or would we be split up?

Thanks!
Assuming you booked on the same PNR, you should be either both upgraded or neither. Which means there is a possibility that if only 1 upgrade is available, you could get bypassed because you're a double.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Assuming you booked on the same PNR, you should be either both upgraded or neither. Which means there is a possibility that if only 1 upgrade is available, you could get bypassed because you're a double.
OK FT friends, so which is it these days? I know for sure it used to be you had to split or risk getting passed over if the upgrade inventory trickled out one by one, but I recently had an agent who sounded like she knew what they were talking about (I know, I know) say that the split would happen automatically. I also recall a long threat about auto-splitting but can't recall if this is the same situation... Ah the joys of UA upgrade arcana...

EDITED TO ADD: Ok, I found the auto-splitting thread. It seems to confirm what Tchiowa is saying. Can anyone else confirm that this is indeed what is happening, that two people waitlisted on the same PNR will be bypassed if one upgrade seat comes their way?

Last edited by as219; Aug 13, 2014 at 7:54 am Reason: Found the thread
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by as219
Can anyone else confirm that this is indeed what is happening, that two people waitlisted on the same PNR will be bypassed if one upgrade seat comes their way?
Yes you will be skipped in that manner up until you check-in, where you need to make a decision. But my wife doesn't mind upgrading without me. So we split.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Yes you will be skipped in that manner up until you check-in, where you need to make a decision. But my wife doesn't mind upgrading without me. So we split.
Hmmm. Well I guess then it makes sense for us to split now. We're using RPUs, so priority isn't an issue.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.