Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR TO PHX upgrade question (Is it Worth the Miles+Cash to Upgrade to Domestic F?)

EWR TO PHX upgrade question (Is it Worth the Miles+Cash to Upgrade to Domestic F?)

Old Aug 7, 14, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Need some more "is it worth it" advice from you guys.

Have tickets for EWR to PHX on United. 737-900 out and A319 back.

My wife is putting together a trip for us and used expedia and we are currently in economy. Worth it to use 80k miles and 300 bucks to upgrade both of us to United First? I'm guessing all of you think "no" since the general consensus on this board is united first is terrible.

The other option is paying for economy plus and trying to get row 21.

thoughts?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 7, 14 at 5:33 am Reason: please ask question in thread title
Old Aug 7, 14, 5:00 am

Programs: UA 1k
I personally would not use that many miles and cash to upgrade for a flight like that, but the decision is really one that comes down to personal preference.

Think of it this way- what you are REALLY paying for is a more comfortable seat. The food is OK at best and they will give you a few drinks (if you drink). Your $300 could buy you a much better meal and drinks elsewhere.

The 80k miles could potentially be a free trip somewhere for the both of you if you can score a saver ticket.

If the extra comfort is worth the potential loss of a future flight, it makes sense. If you'd rather have the flexibility to use those miles elsewhere, take the E+ option.
Old Aug 7, 14, 5:36 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Marriott Prem Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by EWRtoSFO View Post
Need some more "is it worth it" advice from you guys.

Have tickets for EWR to PHX on United. 737-900 out and A319 back.

My wife is putting together a trip for us and used expedia and we are currently in economy. Worth it to use 80k miles and 300 bucks to upgrade both of us to United First? I'm guessing all of you think "no" since the general consensus on this board is united first is terrible.

The other option is paying for economy plus and trying to get row 21.

thoughts?
No way is that worth it. 80k miles is ~three domestic free roundtrips and the $300 can go to E+. The food will be bad on United and you will not get access to a lounge.

Only do this if you are swimming in both dollars and money, and even in that case it might be more sensible to just buy F on Delta or American.
Old Aug 7, 14, 8:55 am
Original Poster

noted. its amazing to me how bad united first rep is on here.
Old Aug 7, 14, 9:41 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100

Having just flown F on this route this week, I wholeheartedly agree with the advice already given. Food blows. No IFE. You're just buying a bigger seat and drinks. Just not worth that kind of cash plus miles.
Old Aug 7, 14, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, SPG Platinum, National Exec. Elite
totally not worth it.

Miles: 80k (1 int'l RT or 3 Domestic RT's = value of at around est $1200)
Cash $300

Total cost to upgrade flight value: $1500
Cost of ticket + $1500 = and you could have bought yourself first class in the T-24 window for less prob.
Old Aug 7, 14, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
80K is a one way in global first from US to Australia, or the same trip in *A partner J

absolutely no way that that expenditure of miles is worth it for the round trip PHX-EWR in literally awful domestic F.
Old Aug 7, 14, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by EWRtoSFO View Post
noted. its amazing to me how bad united first rep is on here.
UA domestic F isn't worth that. But, that's just a lot of miles and money. I'm not sure I'd recommend paying that for LH F on that short a flight.
Old Aug 7, 14, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PVDProf View Post
UA domestic F isn't worth that. But, that's just a lot of miles and money. I'm not sure I'd recommend paying that for LH F on that short a flight.
Yeah we don't have to bag on UA to reach this conclusion.

I don't think the domestic F product on any U.S. airline would be worth that expenditure, especially the 80,000 miles part. Two saver F RTs PHX-EWR would only cost 100,000 miles (and I would still view that as a pretty weak redemption).
Old Aug 7, 14, 1:55 pm

Programs: Mostly a free agent nowadays: UA,AA, LH, DL; Starriott (er, Bonvoy); Hilton; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
80K is a one way in global first from US to Australia, or the same trip in *A partner J

absolutely no way that that expenditure of miles is worth it for the round trip PHX-EWR in literally awful domestic F.
Not knowing your travel patterns, it's impossible to say for sure, but generally speaking, the consensus is no, and I agree. There is just too much that those 80K miles can buy you. Think of the miles as actual money. You have $8000 to spend. Do you want to spend it on a UA domestic F upgrade now or on the purchase international F ticket later? If there is ANY chance that you will take an international trip within the next couple of years, save the miles and use them for that.
Old Aug 7, 14, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Does the 80k miles include a date with a cute flight attendant?
Old Aug 7, 14, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
For 50k miles each you could get round-trip tickets in saver F (if and when UA opened up space of course). IMHO 80k miles plus $ is ttally not worth it.
Old Aug 8, 14, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I am not upgrading.

Especially after only spending 179 dollars to upgrade to domestic first for EWR to MSY on United. Economy was around 250 and after purchasing on United's website, a popup generated offering me that and I took it. Not bad at all.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: