Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thank you, United: Redemption fraud caught

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB

Got a call from United corporate security today enquiring whether I had redeemed ~800k miles from my MP account to buy an IPad and other electronics.

Someone had hacked into my account, changed the primary e-mail address, and helped themselves to my miles.

A very nice woman from United alerted me to the issue, helped me reinstate the miles, and walked me through the process of resetting my account. Thank you!

I've been guilty of using this forum to complain more than praise, so thought I should call out good customer service when I see it...
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Nice job, UA! ^

-RM
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:13 am

Nice job that they proactively solved the whole thing, but they really move on from the simple 4-digit pin to a more robust password system.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
^ glad you didn't get hosed by the crooks.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ORD_UA1K
Got a call from United corporate security today enquiring whether I had redeemed ~800k miles from my MP account to buy an IPad and other electronics.

Someone had hacked into my account, changed the primary e-mail address, and helped themselves to my miles.

A very nice woman from United alerted me to the issue, helped me reinstate the miles, and walked me through the process of resetting my account. Thank you!

I've been guilty of using this forum to complain more than praise, so thought I should call out good customer service when I see it...
Did you not receive and email to your account when the primary email address was changed? That scares me as I don't check all my FF accounts daily, or even weekly in some cases. I have always thought that, when an email address is changed, one got an email stating the change was made and if it was me who did it, no action was necessary. If I didn't make the change, then I should contact them immediately. Didn't that happen here? Bad practice if it didn't.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
Did you not receive and email to your account when the primary email address was changed? That scares me as I don't check all my FF accounts daily, or even weekly in some cases. I have always thought that, when an email address is changed, one got an email stating the change was made and if it was me who did it, no action was necessary. If I didn't make the change, then I should contact them immediately. Didn't that happen here? Bad practice if it didn't.
I occasionally receive emails from UA according to my settings, but a lot that I expect are never sent/received. I don't think it would be that unusual if they didn't send an email, I wouldn't count on it anyway.

Good job by UA on proactively identifying unusual account behavior though. I have a couple friends & family who have had this happen, and UA wasn't proactive, but was very easy to work with in reinstating the miles.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:24 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Good to hear. ^
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:26 am

800k for an ipad? They could have had some nice flights :-)
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:28 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Glad to hear the positive outcome!

This does serve as yet another reminder, though, that UA needs to do away with PIN-based authentication--or require, at a minimum, a PIN and a password. It's simply too easy to hack accounts with only a 4-digit PIN controlling access.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
Originally Posted by Finkface
Did not get an email notifying me of the change
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Glad to hear it all worked out and great job UA security!

Thanks for highlighting this issue to FT. I check my account often more to check on upcoming flights seats but always look at my miles and upgrades to ensure there is no issue.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

I just read the npr story of 1 billion web id-password combos stolen. Was ual one of the corporate victims?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:21 am

The part that drives me crazy about United's account security is that no matter how good a password you choose, someone can get in using your MP number and a 4 digit numeric only PIN.
I haven't found a way to remove the PIN login "feature" anywhere.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Kingston
The part that drives me crazy about United's account security is that no matter how good a password you choose, someone can get in using your MP number and a 4 digit numeric only PIN.
I haven't found a way to remove the PIN login "feature" anywhere.
I'd be quite happy if this were possible. I never use my PIN to access my account. I don't even know what it is!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by olouie
800k for an ipad? They could have had some nice flights :-)
Four Intl GF trips..... But then they would get caught because surely you would realize the miles were gone and start the inquiry...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.