Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No baggage accepted - 4hr & 24 hr rules

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:36 am
Original Poster

No baggage accepted - 4hr & 24 hr rules

Once again trying to fly El Jefe's airline with baggage. Got upgraded to First class (thank you Jeff!!). Unfortunately, this does not include the ability to check your baggage thru to your final destination. In fact, due to the 4 hr rule the TA did not want to check my bag at all. I was flying a black-eye (departing 5:15am), no one wanted to get up at 2:30am to take me to the airport. Solution - arrive at 10pm the nite before and take a chance breaking the 4 hr rule.

Lost the first round! Sorry Mr. Johnson, the TSA does not like you or your baggage. We (TSA) are willing to tolerate your presence for no more than 4 hrs. After a session of rope-a-dope, managed to garner enough compassion (Continental knowledge was displayed- I thought the merger was completed) to get my six boarding passes ending in BOS.

Sorry Mr. Johnson, I (Superwoman) can break the 4hr rule, but am not willing to take on the 24 hr rule. El Jefe sees no problem delivering your baggage to some out of the way airport in a third world nation, rather than checking it thru to the ticketed final destination. After all, why would a passenger expect a bag to accompany them for their entire trip? The primary purpose of checked baggage (from El Jefe's perspective) is to create opportunities to lose and/or damage said baggage!

I guess my upgrade was sleight of hand, here is is your extra wide seat , Mr Johnson. We have decided to donate your baggage to the poor - good luck trying to claim it.

On another trip, I checked baggage in the baggage dept of United - seems the people in charge of baggage know the rules and also have the common sense to decide when they (the rules) should be flexible. The TA's did not want to check my bags - I was in the wrong terminal!!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As United states
For flights within the U.S., as well as most international flights, baggage will generally not be accepted for check-in more than four hours before scheduled flight departure, although this policy varies by airport and based on daily check-in counter hours.
Check-in is available starting 24 hours prior to scheduled departure.
Neither should be a surprise.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:11 am
Original Poster

I was aware of the 4hr rule - I have been able to find TA's willing to break this rule. The 24 hr rule has nothing to do with check-in. My flight leaves in a little over 4 hrs and I am still not able to do OLCI. The TA was able to finesse "Shares" (she is a Continental expert!!) and to print my BP's.

The 24 hr rule refers to how long baggage can be checked. Since my OW trip lasts more than 24 hrs, I am required to claim my bags mid-trip and recheck them to the end of my trip.

On previous trips, I have also found United personnel capable of overriding this rule also. I was too tired to search for an intelligent & friendly TA. Superwoman is very intelligent, but was in overtime - her shift was over and she wanted to go home. (I do NOT blame her, I would be embarrassed having to tell passengers United has rules against traveling with their baggage.)
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by uaflr

The 24 hr rule refers to how long baggage can be checked. Since my OW trip lasts more than 24 hrs, I am required to claim my bags mid-trip and recheck them to the end of my trip.
How long is your layover? Is it international or domestic?

I recently had a similar issue with United, couldn't find anything specific on Flyertalk besides a few casual mentions of a 10 (maybe 12?) hour rule for layover luggage internationally. Seemed to be at the discretion of the person checking you in though.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:05 am
Original Poster

My layover in SJU is 4hrs 40 min. Still have not received an email from United to check-in, but I did receive a reminder of my flt.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by uaflr
I've never heard of this rule. I travel DFW-xxx-NRT <with an o/n in BKK or SIN> - to DPS quite often and never had a problem checking my bags all the way through in either direction. Definitely more than 24 hours.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
I second that, I have never heard of the 24 hour rule or experienced it.......I assume the 4 hour rule refers to not being able to check bags until 4 hours before flight but could someone explain the 24 hour rule?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
There is no such thing as the 24 hour rule. Bad agent. Complain to someone.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: UA MM etc
I also have checked (multiple) bags many times through to multi-flight international destinations over periods exceeding 24 hr and never had anyone claim it was impossible.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: UA GS (2MM), Marriott Ambassador Elite
Agreed. The "24-hour rule" is fictitious. I've just flown GRU to SFO, with a really long layover in IAD (12 hours). I had not problems getting my luggage checked thru to my final destination.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
There is no such thing as the 24 hour rule. Bad agent. Complain to someone.
Bingo. That sounded bizarre.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: UA1K
i've never heard of the 24 hour rule. however, i have checked bags in well before the 4 hour rule.

however, checking bags the night before? not surprised they did not take your bags.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So the OP is disappointed when intiailly an agent would not violate UA rules and allow baggage check in early so OP /OP's transportation came sleep in a few extra minutes. I guess OP was successful on this, but OP was still irritated it took effort to find agent willing to violate the rules. This is a classical example is no past good deed goes unpunished.

I'm not following the "24 hour" issue - there is certainly no limit to 24 hour itins. Might be someone with an immediate >24 stopover wanting to check to final destination?? or what? The OP's writing style is a bit difficult for me to follow.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So the OP is disappointed when intiailly an agent would not violate UA rules and allow baggage check in early so OP /OP's transportation came sleep in a few extra minutes. I guess OP was successful on this, but OP was still irritated it took effort to find agent willing to violate the rules. This is a classical example is no past good deed goes unpunished.
+1
My reaction exactly.

I'm not following the "24 hour" issue - there is certainly no limit to 24 hour itins. Might be someone with an immediate >24 stopover wanting to check to final destination?? or what? The OP's writing style is a bit difficult for me to follow.
Perhaps agent refused to check bag for an overnight layover? I believe that would be consistent with UA's rules:

Customers making connections which involve an overnight stay must claim baggage at the intermediate point and re-check baggage for the connecting flight on the following day.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by trini19
I second that, I have never heard of the 24 hour rule or experienced it.......I assume the 4 hour rule refers to not being able to check bags until 4 hours before flight but could someone explain the 24 hour rule?
Me too, I fly HSV - NRT, ICN or OKA. Each is always over 24 hours. never a mention of picking up a bag somewhere mid point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.