No baggage accepted - 4hr & 24 hr rules

Old Aug 12, 14, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

I must be the only one subject to the 24 hr rule on baggage, it has happened before. The ticket agent tells me my baggage can only be checked for 24 hrs. It was a domestic flight. They told me it was a TSA rule.

Channa - do you know anything about this?
Old Aug 12, 14, 7:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by uaflr View Post
I must be the only one subject to the 24 hr rule on baggage, it has happened before. The ticket agent tells me my baggage can only be checked for 24 hrs. It was a domestic flight. They told me it was a TSA rule. .....
Are you starting at some UX outstation (agents not familiar will the real rules)?

How are you getting 24 hours on a domestic only routing and still need to check bags?
Old Aug 12, 14, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

First time was on a flight from EWR, second was from SEA. In my experience, there are many United employees who seem to make things up. I just keep looking for someone who actually wants to help me.

Most of my mileage runs are over 24hrs long - I try not to have checked bags, but sometimes it is necessary if I'm traveling O/W.
Old Aug 12, 14, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Most of my mileage runs are over 24hrs long - I try not to have checked bags, but sometimes it is necessary if I'm traveling O/W.
If you check bags, it is not a m/r
Old Aug 12, 14, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Lolz at an MR with checked bags!

Were you trying to check all the way back to the departure station?
Old Aug 12, 14, 8:22 pm

Interesting, do you physically have to recheck, or does it go to a drop off counter for transfer luggage? Last time I flew into LAX (BEG-IST(overnight stop)-LAX, LAX-YVR(different PNR and carrier)), I had to pickup for customs, but they had a spot to drop-off for connecting bags. TK checked my luggage all the way through (with me carrying through customs).

If you are not clearing customs anywhere, that does sound strange, but maybe there is some rule about domestic flights, does anyone that flies to hawaii, layover on west coast and goes to east coast/alaska have this problem, assuming it takes more than 24 hrs?
Old Aug 12, 14, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

It was a O/W from SEA to BOS - I had to physically recheck my bag in SJU. Also, I had to wait 2 hrs until the USDA people decided to come to work.

I talked with a United agent in the SJU baggage claim when I claimed my bag, she knew what happened. She had a bag tag printed and ready when I went to recheck my bag - I did not have to wait in line.

I do not have a "home base" - I have been traveling for 9 years. Most of my flights are multiple segment O/W flights.
Old Aug 12, 14, 10:31 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
It was a O/W from SEA to BOS - I had to physically recheck my bag in SJU. Also, I had to wait 2 hrs until the USDA people decided to come to work.

I talked with a United agent in the SJU baggage claim when I claimed my bag, she knew what happened. She had a bag tag printed and ready when I went to recheck my bag - I did not have to wait in line.

I do not have a "home base" - I have been traveling for 9 years. Most of my flights are multiple segment O/W flights.
I understand that Puerto Rico is part of the US, but this sounds more like a customs/security issue, similar to how, if you fly CDG-ORD-SFO, you have to claim and recheck your bags at ORD. Nothing to do with hours or anything.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: