Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Engadget.com - Why your new plane has no IFE

Old Aug 5, 14, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum

Found this to be an interesting article. We've discussed the why's behind things for a long while, but here is a tech website's take on things.

From the article:

Earlier this year, I boarded a United flight from Newark to San Diego. After passing the first few rows, a young boy turned to his mother and asked, "Why aren't there any TVs?"

"It's probably an older plane," she responded -- but that couldn't be further from the truth.
www.engadget.com/2014/08/05/future-of-ife
Old Aug 5, 14, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I may or may not appear in the article at one point. :-:

There are some interesting points made and then countered within the story.

It's reasonable to assume a new plane would be delivered with the latest technology, but unfortunately that isn't the case.
Perhaps, but neither Boeing nor Airbus actually delivers planes with the in-flight connectivity systems, so maybe that assumption isn't all that reasonable.

And then, in the next paragraph,
Our flight was equipped with Exede, the fastest WiFi in the sky, provided by the speedy ViaSat-1 satellite and installed by LiveTV, the same company responsible for outfitting United's 737 fleet with seat-back DirecTV.
And this is the "latest technology" though installed after UA takes delivery of the planes.

A bit further on, talking to the BYODevice aspect of things,
It's a means to the same end. You get to be entertained, and the airline can collect that coveted ancillary revenue. ...the trade-offs are worthwhile, for airlines and passengers alike.
This paragraph mostly seems positive on the BYOD approach.

And I question the assertion that FAs doing a live safety demo reduces their ability to properly check the cabin prior to departure.
Old Aug 5, 14, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post

There are some interesting points made and then countered within the story.

Perhaps, but neither Boeing nor Airbus actually delivers planes with the in-flight connectivity systems, so maybe that assumption isn't all that reasonable.

And then, in the next paragraph,

And this is the "latest technology" though installed after UA takes delivery of the planes.

A bit further on, talking to the BYODevice aspect of things,

This paragraph mostly seems positive on the BYOD approach.

And I question the assertion that FAs doing a live safety demo reduces their ability to properly check the cabin prior to departure.
I'm going to assume that is you holding up a camera...

If UA goes the route of Xjet and some of the regionals and have the audio recorded (which they should) I can't see this as being a bad thing for them to do the safety demos the old fashioned way.

Either people pay attention to them, or they don't. (Or they're like me, asleep.)
Old Aug 5, 14, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner View Post
Close, but not quite.

If UA goes the route of Xjet and some of the regionals and have the audio recorded (which they should) I can't see this as being a bad thing for them to do the safety demos the old fashioned way.
B6 has it recorded on the E90s and not on the A320s. I think it has to do with how many people they need doing the demo in the aisle versus talking about it. And I doubt that recorded or not matters overall for safety, though there was a flight a couple weeks back where the FA reading it messed up several times; that was awkward.

I like the concept of the BYOD entertainment approach. I'm not entirely convinced that the technology is in place to fully support it yet. But I like the idea.
Old Aug 5, 14, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE
I like the concept of the BYOD entertainment approach. I'm not entirely convinced that the technology is in place to fully support it yet. But I like the idea.
I am curious to see how it's implemented. I think the majority of travellers travel with a laptop and/or iPad. Nonetheless, there are still a lot of travellers that probably don't travel with a device that supports this…or me when I go on a proper vacation (leaving the laptop at home is a privilege).

I do wish they'd make more of an effort with a heads up when this happens. It's really annoying to get stuck on an EWR->LAX flight with no entertainment.
Old Aug 5, 14, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by astroflyer View Post
I am curious to see how it's implemented. I think the majority of travellers travel with a laptop and/or iPad. Nonetheless, there are still a lot of travellers that probably don't travel with a device that supports this…or me when I go on a proper vacation (leaving the laptop at home is a privilege).

I do wish they'd make more of an effort with a heads up when this happens. It's really annoying to get stuck on an EWR->LAX flight with no entertainment.
The plan is that the short/medium-haul fleet will be all BYOD/streaming and the long-haul fleet will keep in-seat but add streaming as well. The only types which are a bit "confused" by this plan are:
  • Islands 777s: Streaming only
  • 744s: Streaming only in Y
Old Aug 5, 14, 4:54 pm

Programs: MYOB

Close, but not quite.
My bet would be...in the overhead..

Find the sbm12 if you can
Old Aug 5, 14, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by xzh445 View Post
My bet would be...in the overhead..
I wish.

Seems they don't really like people in those for some reason.
Old Aug 5, 14, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by astroflyer View Post
... Nonetheless, there are still a lot of travellers that probably don't travel with a device that supports this…or me when I go on a proper vacation (leaving the laptop at home is a privilege)....
This is why I favor DirecTV over all other forms of IFE. No equipment required.
Old Aug 5, 14, 6:27 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
And there's this:

I wish.

Seems they don't really like people in those for some reason.
Considering the pigeon droppings that some rollaboards get dragged through, it's just as well "they" don't really like people in them.
Old Aug 6, 14, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Interesting read. Can't wait for the stream abilities to work smoothly. As a 6' 6" traveler, the seat back screens are never angled correctly for me.
Old Aug 6, 14, 11:30 pm

This is simply another cash grab by the airlines. You can dress it up however you wish, but revenue is the driving factor.
Old Aug 7, 14, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by znke252 View Post
This is simply another cash grab by the airlines. You can dress it up however you wish, but revenue is the driving factor.
^ +1.

The article mentions that "many planes now have outlets installed in every seat", a claim that I find absolutely comical.
Old Aug 7, 14, 8:04 am

UA isn't charging for the service. Where's the cash grab??
Old Aug 7, 14, 10:01 am

Programs: BA, AA, FB

UA isn't charging for the service. Where's the cash grab??
It will eventually come in the future. What business can turn down a revenue stream.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: