Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No E- seats available but E+ has seats, what will happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
No E- seats available but E+ has seats, what will happen? Short answer: You will be assigned a seat at check-in, potentially in E+.

At times, those in non-Economy Plus (nicknamed E- on FT) will find nothing available for advance seat assignments. This could be for a couple of reasons, such as Silver elites have booked E- seats or UA may be blocking E- seats for gate assignments, especially to address family groups. Also the sales profile for E+/E- does not match the physical seatmap. UA sells economy as a single cabin, with E+/E- having the same fare classes. So UA will manage all economy sales as a single cabin and those without seat assignments will be handled at the Gate. If needed, seats in the E+ section will be used, at no additional cost, to seat the passenger.

Does this mean those without seat assignments are guaranteed or even most likely to get "free" E+? While may happen, it is far from a guaranteed. There are many reasons that E- seats will become available at the gate
  • Some E- passengers at check-in may take up UA’s E+ offer.
  • UA Premier Silvers elites can move from E- to E+ for free at check-in.
  • Preferred seating opens up to everyone at check-in
  • No shows for personal reasons or disrupted travel plans will free up seats.
  • If UA was blocking E- seats, they will become available at the gate,

Does it make sense if E- looks full (and E+ is open) not to make an seat assignment in hopes of getting "free" E+?
This may work but the risk is E- seats do open up at the gate and you get a terrible E- seat assignment. Of course, if your choice is already bad E- seats then there's much less downside.

How will the overflow (if that happens) be seated in E+ ?
There is no know proscribed process. Many GAs will fill E+ starting at the front and working back. Some, if there is enough space, will leave middles open. But there is nothing one can be guaranteed. Some passengers may try to request certain seats, including exit rows.

Preferred Seats
Preferred seats are free access at booking for all elites and certain corporate partners. That seating become free to anyone at check-in

Print Wikipost

No E- seats available but E+ has seats, what will happen?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
It's not uncommon for the last remaining seats to be E+. Whether or not you'll be the ones to be assigned them is anybody's guess.

Unless you are particularly tall, and the extra leg room will make a big difference in your comfort, I'd wait. You can check back frequently, on the website or app, and see if seats you'd like open up. Otherwise, I'd wait to see what I'm assigned. That flight isn't all that long so being separated for three-hours wouldn't be worth spending $140 to me.
SPN Lifer, stu52 and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Booked in economy, no E- seats available at OLCI

Daughter is flying home LHR-IAD tomorrow June 5. Flight was purchased on points. She is booked in E-, does not have a seat assignment, and the seating chart is showing one remaining E- seat, but nearly 20 seats in E+. Is there a smart procedure for her to wrangle a free E+ seat at OLCI (or the airport)? Keep checking the seating chart until the last E- seat is gone? Would UA then just assign her an E+ seat at OLCI? Or will she not get a seat at OLCI and have to wait to get a seat at counter/gate? She has no status, only the UA Explorer card. TIA for any first-hand advice...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 4, 2022 at 8:58 am Reason: moved to subject thread
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Pretty sure there are threads on this you can check (but I have no specific guidance on where...someone will post it shortly or move the thread). I suspect the answer is, don't check in as long as there is a remaining E- seat! It's probable the system will say she needs to wait to get a seat assignment at the gate--it won't automatically give her an E+ seat (since there's often movement in seats, including movement in E+ that elites will have first dibs on).
bob12403 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bob12403
.... Is there a smart procedure for her to wrangle a free E+ seat at OLCI (or the airport)? ......
While that could happen, there are a lot of seat assignment dynamics that can change the situation. Partial quote of this thread's wiki

Originally Posted by wiki
Does this mean those without seat assignments are guaranteed or even most likely to get "free" E+? While may happen, it is far from a guaranteed. There are many reasons that E- seats will become available at the gate
  • Some E- passengers at check-in may take up UA’s E+ offer.
  • UA Premier Silvers elites can move from E- to E+ for free at check-in.
  • Preferred seating opens up to everyone at check-in
  • No shows for personal reasons or disrupted travel plans will free up seats.
  • If UA was blocking E- seats, they will become available at the gate,

Does it make sense if E- looks full (and E+ is open) not to make an seat assignment in hopes of getting "free" E+?
This may work but the risk is E- seats do open up at the gate and you get a terrible E- seat assignment. Of course, if your choice is already bad E- seats then there's much less downside.

How will the overflow (if that happens) be seated in E+ ?
There is no know proscribed process. Many GAs will fill E+ starting at the front and working back. Some, if there is enough space, will leave middles open. But there is nothing one can be guaranteed. Some passengers may try to request certain seats, including exit rows.
If the remaining seat is a E- middle, there is little harm in waiting but a risk of waiting too long and middles are available is a middle E- assignment by the computer.
bob12403 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Likely no one on here can tell you what will for sure happen. Multiple scenarios could. Getting one of the E+ seats is one. Getting a BP with a seat to be assigned at gate is another. Getting her whatever other E- May be available at the time of check in is another (could be a middle, could be a seat that is currently ‘blocked’, could be a seat freed up by a silver who takes one of the E+ seats, etc.).

whatever the option is, note that if she doesn’t have an assignment, flight is oversold and they don’t have enough volunteers, and she doesn’t have a seat, those without seat assignments are usually the first ones to get IDBd. While that’s still pretty rare..by law they need to publicly ask for volunteers, and the comp can keep going up,it does happen once in a blue moon.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
REPORT: Booked in economy, no E- seats available at OLCI

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Here's how it played out: Morning of flight it was about 2/3 full, but E- was totally booked. Daughter had to checkin at the airport, no OLCI, I'm guessing because she needed to show passport, docs, etc. Arrived 4 hours early given the chaos at UK airports lately. However, still no seat assignment at in-person checkin. Several hours later when checking UA app she found she had been assigned 44K: last row, aisle, with bathroom directly behind her. Not wanting to earn her keep by spending the flight distributing hand towels to every patron, she hustled up to gate agent once the desk was open and politely asked if she could get a window seat. She was moved to 35L in E+ at no charge. Just checked seat map and nearly all of economy is full, just a few seats each in E+ and E-. So all in all, everything worked out in the end, greatly appreciate your responses. Hoping someone else might benefit from this information down the road.

Originally Posted by bob12403
Daughter is flying home LHR-IAD tomorrow June 5. Flight was purchased on points. She is booked in E-, does not have a seat assignment, and the seating chart is showing one remaining E- seat, but nearly 20 seats in E+. Is there a smart procedure for her to wrangle a free E+ seat at OLCI (or the airport)? Keep checking the seating chart until the last E- seat is gone? Would UA then just assign her an E+ seat at OLCI? Or will she not get a seat at OLCI and have to wait to get a seat at counter/gate? She has no status, only the UA Explorer card. TIA for any first-hand advice...
SPN Lifer and medellinfein like this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 8:44 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, TrueBlue, SkyMiles, HH SM, Amtrak Guest Rewards
if a flight still selling 9 Q and 7 V fare class tickets, but only showing one economy seat available for selection, should I expect other economy seats to open up before travel date?
Old Mar 3, 2023, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dx3003
if a flight still selling 9 Q and 7 V fare class tickets, but only showing one economy seat available for selection, should I expect other economy seats to open up before travel date?
I’d expect so, yes. UA rarely oversells a plane by 8 or more seats.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're referring to "economy seats" as distinct from the "preferred" and "economy plus" seats (all in the economy cabin), and if those latter do show available, then there may not wind up being any more economy seats that open. If it gets to check-in and only the seats with a fee are available, they will assign you one without charge.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
If you're referring to "economy seats" as distinct from the "preferred" and "economy plus" seats (all in the economy cabin), and if those latter do show available, then there may not wind up being any more economy seats that open. If it gets to check-in and only the seats with a fee are available, they will assign you one without charge.
Right, I do see a number of preferred economy available, but just one middle "economy seat" in row 37 open.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:07 pm

updating from my comment upthread...
There are no complimentary seat assignments available at this time. You'll be assigned a seat at no charge prior to boarding, or you can purchase an available seat on the seat map.
What type of seat do you think I will get? This is a work trip booked through my company's travel ppl. All standard economy seats appear to be claimed (27 economy preferred/plus still available)
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... What type of seat do you think I will get? ....
Preferred seats become available for anyone for free at check-in, In additional, Silver Premiers have access to E+ for free and will vacate their non-E+ seats at check-in.

So multiple seat options will become available at checking. Some in E- and some in preferred seats --- plus potentially in E+ as the other options get filled.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 9:54 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Preferred seats become available for anyone for free at check-in, In additional, Silver Premiers have access to E+ for free and will vacate their non-E+ seats at check-in.

So multiple seat options will become available at checking. Some in E- and some in preferred seats --- plus potentially in E+ as the other options get filled.
Is the bolded also true for online check-in? I recently booked a flight on regular E (Not BE) and all of the complimentary seats were already gone. I am hoping to get 3 seats together without paying extra.

LAX
Old Jul 3, 2023, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
Is the bolded also true for online check-in? I recently booked a flight on regular E (Not BE) and all of the complimentary seats were already gone. I am hoping to get 3 seats together without paying extra. ...
Yes Preferred Seats are available at OLCI by anyone. Getting 3 seats together might be a challenge
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.