Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No E- seats available but E+ has seats, what will happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
No E- seats available but E+ has seats, what will happen? Short answer: You will be assigned a seat at check-in, potentially in E+.

At times, those in non-Economy Plus (nicknamed E- on FT) will find nothing available for advance seat assignments. This could be for a couple of reasons, such as Silver elites have booked E- seats or UA may be blocking E- seats for gate assignments, especially to address family groups. Also the sales profile for E+/E- does not match the physical seatmap. UA sells economy as a single cabin, with E+/E- having the same fare classes. So UA will manage all economy sales as a single cabin and those without seat assignments will be handled at the Gate. If needed, seats in the E+ section will be used, at no additional cost, to seat the passenger.

Does this mean those without seat assignments are guaranteed or even most likely to get "free" E+? While may happen, it is far from a guaranteed. There are many reasons that E- seats will become available at the gate
  • Some E- passengers at check-in may take up UA’s E+ offer.
  • UA Premier Silvers elites can move from E- to E+ for free at check-in.
  • Preferred seating opens up to everyone at check-in
  • No shows for personal reasons or disrupted travel plans will free up seats.
  • If UA was blocking E- seats, they will become available at the gate,

Does it make sense if E- looks full (and E+ is open) not to make an seat assignment in hopes of getting "free" E+?
This may work but the risk is E- seats do open up at the gate and you get a terrible E- seat assignment. Of course, if your choice is already bad E- seats then there's much less downside.

How will the overflow (if that happens) be seated in E+ ?
There is no know proscribed process. Many GAs will fill E+ starting at the front and working back. Some, if there is enough space, will leave middles open. But there is nothing one can be guaranteed. Some passengers may try to request certain seats, including exit rows.

Preferred Seats
Preferred seats are free access at booking for all elites and certain corporate partners. That seating become free to anyone at check-in

Print Wikipost

No E- seats available but E+ has seats, what will happen?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Plat
UA and empty Economyplus seating

I am looking at a 752 seat map for UA on what will be my first flight in a year. E+, where I am sitting, is almost empty, whereas the back of the plane is almost full. Will UA relocate passengers from the back of the plane to E+ at or after boarding for more social distancing? Curiously, someone selected a seat in E+ right next to me. Or is that UA blocking seats?
Old Jan 6, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
I am looking at a 752 seat map for UA on what will be my first flight in a year. E+, where I am sitting, is almost empty, whereas the back of the plane is almost full. Will UA relocate passengers from the back of the plane to E+ at or after boarding for more social distancing? Curiously, someone selected a seat in E+ right next to me. Or is that UA blocking seats?
UA will allocate Basic Economy (if no standard Y seats remain) and standby pax into E+ on day of departure, but there is no fixed procedure for reseating passengers from regular economy to E+ strictly for social distancing. In fact, on board, FAs have a scripted announcement to this end, cautioning against moving to unoccupied E+ seats, and can sell E+ "upgrades" with their iPhones on the spot. Moving around within one's section is permitted, though.
SPN Lifer and Often1 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
UA will allocate Basic Economy (if no standard Y seats remain) and standby pax into E+ on day of departure
Not to mention any standard economy passenger without a seat assignment. Once the regular economy seats fill up, it's common for passengers just to take their chances with whatever seat UA assigns, rather than paying for E+.
SPN Lifer and EWR764 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Curiously, someone selected a seat in E+ right next to me. Or is that UA blocking seats?
No - that's someone who needs someone to talk to the entire flight. Maybe a proselytizer. Or a multi-level marketing salesperson.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
...Curiously, someone selected a seat in E+ right next to me. Or is that UA blocking seats?
No - that's someone who needs someone to talk to the entire flight. Maybe a proselytizer. Or a multi-level marketing salesperson.
Or someone trying to game you into moving out of his/her preferred row!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Don't forget, all those Premier Silver members currently assigned to the back of the plane, will move up to E+ at the T-24 check in window.
SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:28 am

Seat Assignments when Complimentary Seats are Unavailable

Flying ORD > DTW on an E175 this week and booking partner and myself on separate PNRs (1 miles, 1 cash).

No status so I’m not eligible for free E+ or preferred seats. All complimentary seats are unavailable. Wondering how United will handle this at checkin, and anything I can do to maximize chances of us sitting together. It’s a 40 minute flight so not a huge deal and not willing to buy seats for that but curious if there’s a strategy to get us seats together without purchasing them. It feels like being BE punished even though it’s a regular Economy ticket. Does United assign passengers E+/ exit row at checkin? Or should I try to get us on the same PNR? Any insight appreciated.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 1, 2021 at 11:41 am Reason: Moved to master thread
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ORD2BOS
No status so I’m not eligible for free E+ or preferred seats. All complimentary seats are unavailable. Wondering how United will handle this at checkin, and anything I can do to maximize chances of us sitting together. It’s a 40 minute flight so not a huge deal and not willing to buy seats for that but curious if there’s a strategy to get us seats together without purchasing them. It feels like being BE punished even though it’s a regular Economy ticket. Does United assign passengers E+/ exit row at checkin? ...
Perhaps,
Originally Posted by Wiki
Short answer: You will be assigned a seat at check-in, potentially in E+.

At times, those in non-Economy Plus (nicknamed E- on FT) will find nothing available for advance seat assignments. This could be for a couple of reasons, such as Silver elites have booked E- seats or UA may be blocking E- seats for gate assignments, especially to address family groups. Also the sales profile for E+/E- does not match the physical seatmap. UA sells economy as a single cabin, with E+/E- having the same fare classes. So UA will manage all economy sales as a single cabin and those without seat assignments will be handled at the Gate. If needed, seats in the E+ section will be used, at no additional cost, to seat the passenger.

Does this mean those without seat assignments are guaranteed or even most likely to get "free" E+? While may happen, it is far from a guaranteed. There are many reasons that E- seats will become available at the gate
More in the thread's wiki

Originally Posted by ORD2BOS
Or should I try to get us on the same PNR?
That will increase the chances but will not guarantee.

A key issue is the seatmap will change as check-in starts -- Silver's may move to E+, other elites may upgrade. You will be handled after those occur and it may be in E+ (at no cost to you) or it may be E-
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That will increase the chances but will not guarantee.
WineCountryUA is right on the money, except (and this is just to expend on the comment, not correct) since it is a paid ticket and a award ticket it is not possible to be on the same PNR

As you mention, is a relatively short flight and since all economy is 2x2 seating, its pretty likely you will get seated together (or should be able to arrange a swap)
Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:34 am

Thanks for the advice. Will bring treats to encourage a swap lol.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 11:33 pm

Is it a good strategy to avoid picking a seat?

I am traveling next month as a couple in a 767 (2, 3, 2) no status. Obviously getting one of the 2s would be ideal.

Most of the 2s seem to be E+ seats that cost about $100, and almost all of them are available. There are only two free seats left in the plane, aisles in the 3s though not in the same row.

I am thinking if I decline to choose a seat , there is a decent chance we may get one of the 2s- otherwise if I choose the two seats away from each other we are stuck with those.

Thoughts? The gamble is one/both get stuck in the middle and separated, though with only 1/7 seats being middle, the odds are not terrible.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 12:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by quendin
I am thinking if I decline to choose a seat , there is a decent chance we may get one of the 2s- otherwise if I choose the two seats away from each other we are stuck with those.

Thoughts? The gamble is one/both get stuck in the middle and separated, though with only 1/7 seats being middle, the odds are not terrible.
This strategy has been discussed frequently in this thread (the title might not suggest that)

While it can work, there are many failure modes that may not be obvious. And the downside is middle seat separated from your traveling companion. First the non-E+ section must be full before UA will give E+ away for free. E- seats can open up close to departure
from the thread's wiki
There are many reasons that E- seats will become available at the gate
As you get to departure the majority of open seats will be middles so the odds are very signification you will be in a middle.
quendin likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 18, 2021 at 12:52 am Reason: odds of middle seats
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
E- seats can open up close to departure
This is doubly true in an era of no-change-fees and speculative bookings based upon future COVID trends.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:43 am

I am booking flights roundtrip NYC to Orlando on Presidents day and the flights are all nearly almost full (and united seems to be the main carrier on this route). Traveling will be myself, my wife, and our not quite 2 year old son for whom we will purchase his own seat. Obviously he needs to sit next to one (preferably both) of us. Looking at regular economy tickets the flight to Orlando has only the final row of the plane open as a non-additional paid seat option and the return flight has no open seats that are non-paid options. It seems from reading here that my best bet is to just not choose any seats (which is really my only option for the return flight and doesn't seem to be giving anything up for the flight out either) .. my question is, how can we ensure that we are seated together and is there a risk that they will split us up?
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by noahsi
how can we ensure that we are seated together and is there a risk that they will split us up?
Pay for preferred seats. If you don't, there is a definite risk. You could all end up in middle seats scattered around the cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.