Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

URGENT: United vs. Singapore Air Business Class on DEN-SIN Route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

URGENT: United vs. Singapore Air Business Class on DEN-SIN Route

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation URGENT: United vs. Singapore Air Business Class on DEN-SIN Route

Debating United vs. Singapore airlines for honeymoon trip.

Flying out of Denver on Monday September 29th with arrival in Singapore on Tuesday the 30th (or just after midnight).

United has the benefit of a DEN-NRT-SIN route with no other connection. On 787 two class in Businessfirst so the slightly bigger seats from DEN to NRT and then on 772 three class in Businessfirst from NRT to SIN.

If flying on Singapore air, would book United economy to SFO and then would be on SFO-HKG-SIN or SFO-ICN-SIN both routes on the 773 with the new Singapore Air business class seats which are phenomenal.

Cost is going to be largely equivalent but debating whether the added hassle of switching airlines in SFO and the extra connection is worth the superior experience in Singapore Business. Note I am 6'5" 200lbs, so no the wider seat may be nice. Don't know difference in service quality but interested to hear.

Any help ASAP would be appreciated as only have 18 hours to cancel the already booked United flight.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 30, 2014 at 5:54 pm Reason: no change -- mod error :-(
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:30 pm

That's not a question. SQ _all the way_! SQ SQ SQ!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SQ for sure. Especially for such a special occasion!

The entire experience will be so much nicer in virtually every respect - particularly food and beverage.

The only issues with SQ are:

1. Some people do not love the seat, as it can be a bit awkward. It's very wide and has to be flipped to turn into a bed. That said, you have literally 2x the personal space you will have on either UA aircraft and the cabin appointments are an entire level above. Think Chevy vs. Bentley.

2. The SQ service has been described as "robotic" and I would tend to agree. That said, while not particularly warm, the service is exemplary.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I would choose SQ even with the extra connection. The only trick is to make sure you allow yourself enough time to make the connection, especially if you are buying two separate tickets (i.e., one ticket to SFO and another ticket to SIN). Having split tickets can sometimes result in problems if ticket one causes you to miss the start of ticket two.

The other nice thing about SQ is that even though it is an extra flight, the connection in HKG/ICN doesn't pose a mis-connect risk since it is the same plane that will take you on to SIN. Sure, the UA trip will only have a single stop in NRT, but you will be changing planes and that is where you are prone to problems. In other words, either trip gives you one chance for problems even though the SIN routing technically has an extra stop.

The other reason I say go with SQ is that their food is miles ahead of UA's and it is always presented with a smile. Sure, sometimes the SQ service can feel robotic, but I much prefer that to the roulette of service quality you play every time you step on UA.

I am also not a huge fan of the PMCO seats either, unless you get the bulkhead with the larger footwell. As someone who is 6' 5" you will do better on SQ.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
If you follow the mantra of "happy wife...happy life" then it's a no brainer. SQ for sure or another Asian carrier over UA any day.

Congrats!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Another positive for SQ is that you're on the same plane for the entire SFO-HKG/ICN-SIN route, so there is virtually no risk of misconnection at the transit point and the layover is quite short (about an hour). You do have to disembark and it adds some time, but it isn't a significant inconvenience. While it's not as good as a nonstop, I rate it significantly better than a standard connection to a different aircraft.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Definitely SQ over UA.

Also look at BR, their Royal Laurel product out of LAX and SFO is quite good as well.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Beware the IFE screens on SQ ... They can be a bit dim (my experience on A380)
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Congrats!

SQ is one of my least favorite Asian *A carriers, but I would still pick SQ over UA on this itinerary ANY DAY.

Originally Posted by jws43yale
United has the benefit of a DEN-NRT-SIN route with no other connection. On 787 two class in Businessfirst so the slightly bigger seats from DEN to NRT and then on 772 three class in Businessfirst from NRT to SIN.
Transiting through NRT really works out to be like any other connection, because everyone must deplane, go through security again, and be funneled possibly to a different gate and aircraft. IIRC, you must also deplane and go through security again at ICN. I've actually never transited through HKG, so I don't know what the procedure there is.

Also, I don't like UA's late arrival (or SQ's flight through ICN): 1) MRT would have long stopped running; 2) taxis into town levy a night surcharge; 3) for a long trip in C, you'd likely arrive pretty well rested. It's easier to overcome jetlag with a daytime arrival. SQ SFO-HKG-SIN would be my first choice.

I don't think you will find SQ's C seat to be all that comfortable, but I wouldn't expect UA's to be much better. (They're both fine for me, but I'm 5'8".) If you move on to the soft product, well, there is really no comparison.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the prompt responses and apologies for the crosspost to the Singapore forum.

Sounds like Singapore is way to go. Only issue will be making sure to get to SFO early enough for no issues on connection.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:07 pm

Only issue will be making sure to get to SFO early enough for no issues on connection.
SFO delays are horrible these days. Every flight I've taken this summer has been delayed at least 30 minutes, some cancelled. Runway construction might be done by your trip, but who knows.

For the kind of trip you are talking about, I would even think about going in a day early, spend some time in the city. BART to downtown, cable cars from union square to Fisherman's wharf, BART back to SFO.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1) Have you priced a ticket taking UA from DEN to SFO in business or FC followed by the SQ flights in business? You might not save much by sitting in coach for the domestic segments.

2) Can you connect at LAX to SQ rather than going through SFO with its delays?

3) Don't even think of taking UA for the same price as SQ.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I'm also 6'5" and find the sCO style biz class seats to be very lacking in terms of usable length and comfort in the lie-flat configuration. The issue is that the footwell is quite small which reduces the usable length of the seat. I haven't flown SQ in biz class (several flights in coach) but their product looks very nice.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Only a masochist would choose UA J over SQ.

I second the suggestion of routing through LAX.

And if you do arrive at Changi around midnight, consider the airside transit hotel, where you can sleep, shower up the next morning, and then take MRT or taxi into town.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Debating United vs. Singapore airlines for honeymoon trip.

Flying out of Denver on Monday September 29th with arrival in Singapore on Tuesday the 30th (or just after midnight).

If flying on Singapore air, would book United economy to SFO and then would be on SFO-HKG-SIN or SFO-ICN-SIN both routes on the 773 with the new Singapore Air business class seats which are phenomenal.

Cost is going to be largely equivalent but debating whether the added hassle of switching airlines in SFO and the extra connection is worth the superior experience in Singapore Business. Note I am 6'5" 200lbs, so no the wider seat may be nice. Don't know difference in service quality but interested to hear.

Any help ASAP would be appreciated as only have 18 hours to cancel the already booked United flight.
Do SQ, and do it right -- take SQ1 SFO-HKG-SIN. It's the best ride in J from the US West Coast to Singapore, with perfect late-night timing and flight length to enable a full rest while enjoying good service when you wake up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.