R availability

Old Apr 16, 14, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bear Backers
upgrade question

Have booked E+ on flight 930 sfo-lhr 7/31. Went in to see if I could upgrade with miles and cash. No option available, wait list only 38 of the 40 J seats not showing booked. Is it likely they may allow this in a month or so?
Old Apr 16, 14, 5:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
Have booked E+ on flight 930 sfo-lhr 7/31. Went in to see if I could upgrade with miles and cash. No option available, wait list only 38 of the 40 J seats not showing booked. Is it likely they may allow this in a month or so?
I'm not sure what you meant by "wait list only 38 of...." but if you meant the seat map, there are not to be relied upon.

Usually one or two J seats are held for crew rest.
Old Apr 16, 14, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

yeah, looking at seat map

Thanks anyway.They will allow a waitlist for J if I pay $550 now and give up 20,000 miles. Doesn't seem like a great plan...Is it more likley to get the seat this way or just wait ?
Old Apr 16, 14, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Slightly more like to get the seat if you waitlist, although waitlist clearing is far from good. Keep an eye on R space even if you're waitlisted.
Old Apr 16, 14, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold
Website shows F5 and J9, still plenty of space. But I don't think available seats is directly related to whether or not they will sell you an upgrade, since an Economy ticket + upgrade fee still costs less than a full fare Biz seat, and UA is all about maximizing revenue.
Old Apr 16, 14, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Whats the best way to check R availability?

Thanks
Old Apr 16, 14, 5:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Thanks
Use Expert Mode on United.com.

There's thread on how to activate this if you've never done so yet.
Old Apr 16, 14, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
Use Expert Mode on United.com.

There's thread on how to activate this if you've never done so yet.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...orks-fine.html
Old Apr 16, 14, 5:39 pm

Sorry I should have specified that instructions are at the beginning of that thread, even though the title is a bit misleading.
Old Apr 16, 14, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by DWooderson View Post
Website shows F5 and J9, still plenty of space. But I don't think available seats is directly related to whether or not they will sell you an upgrade, since an Economy ticket + upgrade fee still costs less than a full fare Biz seat, and UA is all about maximizing revenue.
An empty cabin is in fact an indicator that UA may open R (upgrade) space at some point prior to departure.

That flight is currently booked 1/40 in J. Three months out, anything could happen, but I'd think there's a reasonable chance that upgrade clears.

Your points and cash will be refunded if you do not get the upgrade.
Old Apr 16, 14, 7:15 pm

Thanks anyway.They will allow a waitlist for J if I pay $550 now and give up 20,000 miles. Doesn't seem like a great plan...Is it more likley to get the seat this way or just wait ?
Definitely waitlist w $ and miles. If you don't, someone else who does might get the seat you want. As pointed out, if the int'l upgrade doesn't clear, you'll get the $/miles back. And, as also suggested, watch for R availability while you're waitlisted in case the system doesn't Lear the waitlist as it should. IMHO, putting the $/miles up ASAP is a no-brainier.
Old Apr 16, 14, 10:31 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
An empty cabin is in fact an indicator that UA may open R (upgrade) space at some point prior to departure.
Yes, but the seat map is a poor indicator of an empty cabin.
Old Apr 16, 14, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Yes, but the seat map is a poor indicator of an empty cabin.
Which is why I stated the exact booking number (1/40) in the post you quoted. Not sure how you could have accidentally overlooked that.

And in this case, the seatmap is a very close proxy (2/40 vs. 1/40).
Old Apr 16, 14, 10:41 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Which is why I stated the exact booking number (1/40) in the post you quoted. Not sure how you could have accidentally overlooked that.
It wasn't an accident. I was responding to and clarifying your unequivocal statement for the benefit of the people reading this thread. You take everything far too personally.
Old Apr 17, 14, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help, I paid and am on the wait list

Not done this before. Should interesting. Something else I need to check every day! Too bad there isn't any way to know how many people are ahead of me on the wait list. from the seat Map, this flight barely has anyone booked in coach. I think the price is causing many to wait. I did catch the 24 hour sale and saved $500 last Monday for a Y ticket.

Search this Thread