Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What to do with excess/expiring PlusPoints (was RPU / GPU) ? vs letting them expire.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A friendly reminder from your volunteer moderators.

Year-end questions such as these are bound to come up and we are happy to have this thread exist as a source of information. However, we would also request members take note of the following:

Please do not offer or solicit transfers of upgrade instruments in this forum, even in "jest".
see
Posting Offers for Miles, Vouchers, Upgrades Not Allowed. for more

Members with questions about the Coupon Connection Forum are kindly asked to refer to the following thread:

The Coupon Connection and related issues (master thread)
Note you need 180 posts and 180 days of FT membership, at a minimum, to access CC forum

Thank you,

l'etoile, Ocn Vw 1k, J.Edward, Pat89339 and WineCountryUA
United MileagePlus Forum volunteer moderators

Safe, allowed uses other than for yourself
-- offer (for no consideration) to family / friends / coworkers / ....
-- asking a GA to do a surprise / delight upgrade of someone using your instruments
-- If requalified as 1K, UA has in recent years, allowing the extending of two GPUs until April
Print Wikipost

What to do with excess/expiring PlusPoints (was RPU / GPU) ? vs letting them expire.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: A few here and there
Yes, you can share them, but you need to have their record locator to do so.
mattya9 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by mattya9
I have a bunch of Plus Points that are expiring at the end of July that I won’t be able to use unfortunately. Can I share those or do I have to be the one flying?

OPS
Absolutely, they can be gifted to anyone, you do not need to fly with them. However, gifted is with absolutely no strings attached! Do not try so barter, sell, exchange, etc....

FWIW, I only gift them to coworkers, close family and friends.
mattya9 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Should merge with Consolidated UA PlusPoints Question & Answer Thread

The answer is yes. You can apply them to any traveler online or via the phone with their PNR/last name. You may not exchange pluspoints for gifts/money.

2 minutes late to posting though. Seems like 3 people already posted the same answer before me.
mattya9 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Copy all. Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

OPS
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Yes you can. Don’t sell them/barter/trade them. Apply them for family and/or friends unconditionally/no strings attached.
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Absolutely, they can be gifted to anyone, you do not need to fly with them. However, gifted is with absolutely no strings attached! Do not try so barter, sell, exchange, etc....

FWIW, I only gift them to coworkers, close family and friends.
Originally Posted by VWang1111
Should merge with Consolidated UA PlusPoints Question & Answer Thread

The answer is yes. You can apply them to any traveler online or via the phone with their PNR/last name. You may not exchange pluspoints for gifts/money.

2 minutes late to posting though. Seems like 3 people already posted the same answer before me.
Only out of curiosity how would UA know if someone sold them? Or is that just an "unwritten rule" amongst the UA MileagePlus family that you never sell them?

OPS
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Only out of curiosity how would UA know if someone sold them? Or is that just an "unwritten rule" amongst the UA MileagePlus family that you never sell them?

OPS
Pluspoints applied to people who dont share your home airport, home address is quite far from yours, no shared PNR history, etc. Its probably a rating, if you drop pluspoints on multiple different PNRs that are all different routes/locations/etc, revenue management/security will flag it and start looking around.

There are many ways to do it, and United has gone after people before.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Or is that just an "unwritten rule" amongst the UA MileagePlus family that you never sell them?
It is not unwritten. It's part of the program's Terms and Conditions.

Originally Posted by Merolis
Pluspoints applied to people who dont share your home airport, home address is quite far from yours, no shared PNR history, etc. Its probably a rating, if you drop pluspoints on multiple different PNRs that are all different routes/locations/etc, revenue management/security will flag it and start looking around.
And some people will brag at the airport about how much they paid for an upgrade. United employees are well-trained to listen for these clues.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

OPS
There’s a thread full of sob stories from people who have had their accounts closed, accumulated miles and Plus Points lost, and status forfeited when UA comes across sold mileage/points. UA will also pose as buyers to ferret out sellers. A lot of people don’t know the points/miles in their account don’t actually belong to them. UA, in effect, grants people the right to use points and miles subject to program rules. Someone attempting to sell Plus Points is trying to sell something that belongs to United.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:49 pm

Very interesting! Is UA really that concerned about who uses the points? I kinda figured it doesn't matter if I use them or my best friend or even a stranger. If I choose to gift them to someone (regardless of who it is) I don't think UA should be able to prevent me from doing so. Am I missing something with this line of thinking?

OPS
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very interesting! Is UA really that concerned about who uses the points? I kinda figured it doesn't matter if I use them or my best friend or even a stranger. If I choose to gift them to someone (regardless of who it is) I don't think UA should be able to prevent me from doing so. Am I missing something with this line of thinking?

OPS
If you gift them, it's fine.

If you sell them, or trade them for something else, etc., then you're in violation of program rules.

UA does not want any competition when it comes to upgrade sales.
SPN Lifer, tcdtcd and mattya9 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
There’s a thread full of sob stories from people who have had their accounts closed, accumulated miles and Plus Points lost, and status forfeited when UA comes across sold mileage/points. UA will also pose as buyers to ferret out sellers. A lot of people don’t know the points/miles in their account don’t actually belong to them. UA, in effect, grants people the right to use points and miles subject to program rules. Someone attempting to sell Plus Points is trying to sell something that belongs to United.
Yet it never ceases to amaze me how often I see them (and miles) brokered or sold on various sites.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...If I choose to gift them to someone (regardless of who it is) I don't think UA should be able to prevent me from doing so. Am I missing something with this line of thinking?...
As explained earlier, the Plus Points don't belong to you - you earn use of UA's Plus Points and RDMs in accordance wth the rules. UA sets the rules, so they can prohibit selling. What you're missing is that you are bound by the rules UA sets and that you agree to as a MileagePlus participant. This is not too difficult to understand (actually, it is to some people who sell and then whine on the "My account has been locked!" thread)
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.