Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What to do with excess/expiring PlusPoints (was RPU / GPU) ? vs letting them expire.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A friendly reminder from your volunteer moderators.

Year-end questions such as these are bound to come up and we are happy to have this thread exist as a source of information. However, we would also request members take note of the following:

Please do not offer or solicit transfers of upgrade instruments in this forum, even in "jest".
see
Posting Offers for Miles, Vouchers, Upgrades Not Allowed. for more

Members with questions about the Coupon Connection Forum are kindly asked to refer to the following thread:

The Coupon Connection and related issues (master thread)
Note you need 180 posts and 180 days of FT membership, at a minimum, to access CC forum

Thank you,

l'etoile, Ocn Vw 1k, J.Edward, Pat89339 and WineCountryUA
United MileagePlus Forum volunteer moderators

Safe, allowed uses other than for yourself
-- offer (for no consideration) to family / friends / coworkers / ....
-- asking a GA to do a surprise / delight upgrade of someone using your instruments
-- If requalified as 1K, UA has in recent years, allowing the extending of two GPUs until April
Print Wikipost

What to do with excess/expiring PlusPoints (was RPU / GPU) ? vs letting them expire.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by enviroian
...I will be apply to apply a GPU? Yes this is strictly a gift.
Yup, you'll see the option to "Upgrade Reservation" as you would your own.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by fumje
Exactly.
Done! that was easy. Of course he was waitlisted. What are the chances of him getting it? It's UA339 on Sunday flying a 739. I used a GPU. I don't believe he has any status.

I can't assign him E+ seats can I?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Zero chance BOS-DEN (fully booked), less than 50/50 (sheer speculation based on 2 available seats and only one upgrade so far) DEN-SEA. No E+ unless you're on same reservation/flight.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Zero chance BOS-DEN (fully booked), less than 50/50 (sheer speculation based on 2 available seats and only one upgrade so far) DEN-SEA. No E+ unless you're on same reservation/flight.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully he will benefit from them sometime before 1/31/17. Where does a non status passenger with a GPU stand in the pecking order? Just curious for kicks and giggles.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Thanks for the info. Hopefully he will benefit from them sometime before 1/31/17. Where does a non status passenger with a GPU stand in the pecking order? Just curious for kicks and giggles.
Passengers no longer receive status based on the status of the 'gifting passenger'. So he'd be behind all the GS, 1K, Plat, Gold, Silver customers trying to upgrade using instruments and/or cash&points.

His pecking order and his ability to sit in E+ would increase to your current status level if you were on the same flight as him.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Passengers no longer receive status based on the status of the 'gifting passenger'. So he'd be behind all the GS, 1K, Plat, Gold, Silver customers trying to upgrade using instruments and/or cash&points.

His pecking order and his ability to sit in E+ would increase to your current status level if you were on the same flight as him.
so effectively worthless

Considering when I tried to use them as 1K last year to get an upgrade when and where I normally got CPU's and never seemed to get GPU or RPU's clear well he'll never be upfront on my RPU's or GPU's!
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
so effectively worthless

Considering when I tried to use them as 1K last year to get an upgrade when and where I normally got CPU's and never seemed to get GPU or RPU's clear well he'll never be upfront on my RPU's or GPU's!
On domestic routes, the number of passengers using instruments are considerably less than those hoping for a CPU. So while he doesn't have status going for him, he is above those hoping for a CPU on a domestic route.

However, I tend to agree with you. His chances are slim. Flying on off-peak days will help his case considerably (Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday).
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so effectively worthless

Remember, if you're qualifying again for 1K this year, you'll probably be able to extend the expiration of 2 GPUs a couple of months. I don't think UA's started that option yet. When they do (watch for mention here - it's not publicly announced), you'll have to call to extend.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Remember, if you're qualifying again for 1K this year, you'll probably be able to extend the expiration of 2 GPUs a couple of months. I don't think UA's started that option yet. When they do (watch for mention here - it's not publicly announced), you'll have to call to extend.
Thanks but I'm not. About to hit EXP this week and see hopefully how much better it is than UA.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:19 am

My dad has 5 GPUs expiring at the end of the month. Anything we can do with them?

I feel bad letting 5 GPUs go to waste, but for various reasons he (and the rest of our family) just haven't had the chance to use them. Anything we can do with them to not let them go to waste?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
I feel bad letting 5 GPUs go to waste, but for various reasons he (and the rest of our family) just haven't had the chance to use them. Anything we can do with them to not let them go to waste?
If he made 1K already for 2017, he can call them and have 2 extended to 30 April. Other people have suggested offering them FOR NOTHING on Coupon Connection as you are not allowed to barter or sell these things.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:20 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Extending two through April worked for me, as username suggested. It's available for those who requalified for 1K for 2017.

Please note that this Announcement in this United FlyerTalk forum does not allow them to be offered in the forum, even complimentary.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lowed-598.html.

Coupon Connection also requires a greater post history than the OP has. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
If you can get to an airport you can offer to the check-in agents to do a "surprise and delight" for five strangers.

I have previously suggested to United that they have a "GPU/RPU pool" available for donations that could be used for military travelers (not happened yet...).
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Plat
RPU Expiring Advice

Hi All,

I find myself in a strange position this year. I purchased more domestic first last year and in January than I have in years past. This has made it hard to use all of my RPUs. I have one that expires at the end of the month and as far as I understand I can not get and extension for an RPU. I have used all of my GPUs.

I hate to see it got to waste and remember reading somewhere that there was a charity which accepts donations of upgrade certificates. Am I remembering this correctly? Does United sponsor or even condone this type of donation? Any help here is appreciated.

Also if it is best to just let it expire, that is fine too. Just looking for advice.

Thank you,

Zeug
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Just let it go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.