Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class IAD-FCO - UA or BA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Business Class IAD-FCO - UA or BA?

I need to fly to Rome next month, and am trying to figure out the best business class option. The UA and BA flights are only about $70 apart in price. I like BA C but the UA flights are direct, which would normally be my preference. However, I just flew UA last week IAD-SAN-IAD and was kind of shocked at how badly the domestic F experience has degraded over the past few years, so that has me a little leery. I have not flown UA internationally since the "Business First" thing and refurbished(?) C seats were unveiled and am wondering how it compares to the BA product. Any input would be appreciated!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
UA domestic F is now pretty abysmal, but int'l BF is fine...not award winning by any means but serviceable. Not sure if BA is worth the add'l connection.

Depends too if you have UA and/or AA status (for bonus mileage collection, caring about status earning, etc.)
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by dillard8
I need to fly to Rome next month, and am trying to figure out the best business class option. The UA and BA flights are only about $70 apart in price. I like BA C but the UA flights are direct, which would normally be my preference. However, I just flew UA last week IAD-SAN-IAD and was kind of shocked at how badly the domestic F experience has degraded over the past few years, so that has me a little leery. I have not flown UA internationally since the "Business First" thing and refurbished(?) C seats were unveiled and am wondering how it compares to the BA product. Any input would be appreciated!
The BA Club World seats are better designed and offer greater privacy. Also, BA offers better wines and higher quality meals.

However, in terms of cabin crew service, both BA and UA are hit or miss.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
The BA Club World seats are better designed and offer greater privacy. Also, BA offers better wines and higher quality meals.

However, in terms of cabin crew service, both BA and UA are hit or miss.
I pretty much agree, especially re BA the seats being better. Also, if you have high enough BA or AA or equivalent One World status, you can get the best seats that offer aisle access without having to climb over anybody. In addition, I find that while BA J cabin crews can be inconsistent, they are less so than those of UA and the worst ones are not as bad as UA's.

The one respect in which UA is better is that its IFE is better than that of the older BA seats in terms of selection and screen size and quality. Still, I'd fly BA over UA, even given having to connect on BA.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
In contrast to thunderroad, there's no way I'd consider taking a connecting flight (which implies both more travel time and a risk of misconnects) to get a somewhat-better experience in J. As long as I can work, sleep, or watch movies in my seat I'm fine, and UA accomplishes that.

Also, the current state of domestic F isn't relevant, because that's a completely different product.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
All else being equal (specifically, FF program considerations), avoid the LHR connection.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
I believe that the UA BF seat is roughly equivalent to the BA Club seat as far as comfort. The BA window seats offer more privacy for sure, when the partition is up. The BA aisle seats, however, have a more open feel than UA's and for me that was a negative. The IFE on UA is superior in picture quality.

I certainly would not opt for an extra connection so that I could fly one over the other - the risk of a misconnect trumps everything else.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott P, SPG G
OP I do think BA is better, but not worth the hassle connecting in LHR.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cyanchan15
OP I do think BA is better, but not worth the hassle connecting in LHR.
I too would take the UA non-stop vs connecting to a crappier seat at LHR (ie a window or aisle coach seat with middle seat blocked).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 24, 2014 at 1:03 am
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:21 am

Programs: United 1k
BA tatl is better than United, and with less risk of the inedible food and garbage wine now such a feature of Smisek Air, but:

changing planes at Heathrow, what 4 hours additional journey time?, that is assuming nothing goes wrong; and then
flying BA Europe from Heathrow to Rome; think United domestic first five years.

There is just no contest. Unless you are a One World ff slave, fly non stop to Rome on UAL.

Have dinner before you get on the plane; ITNOG make sure you do not stuck in one of middle seats in J and slowly drink (spirits, not the wine) until you fal asleep.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: AA Reg
Originally Posted by Kacee
All else being equal (specifically, FF program considerations), avoid the LHR connection.
^this. LHR connections are not fun.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:52 am

I would factor in the direct flight being longer and opportunity for more sleep.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by milesunited
I would factor in the direct flight being longer and opportunity for more sleep.
Good point. There's not enough difference between the two to add the connection. Take UA.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Three class plane or two? If pmCO BF, seat is better and IFE as well. If three class plane, BA better but LHR connection is for the birds
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
BA business class would have to be something special, a la SQ on the A380, for me to tolerate the LHR connection. It's not, so do the non stop and don't look back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.