UA Denver Roll Call?

Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Originally Posted by TravellingMan

BTW can someone shed some light on why is DEN-YYZ so expensive on all carriers, plus slim award tickets too.
I travel to YY* alot and airfare is always over $1K. Someone told me it was because of taxes/surcharges or something like that. Not sure about award tickets, but probably assume the same.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA GS
I buy several DEN-YYC award tickets a year. total cash $60.
So a cash ticket might include a $50 Canada security and YYC development surcharge.
They charge that much because they can. capacity was reduced so much that they always have full planes and no competition.
Flying with thru SFO only on the way back halved the ticket price for me in May when I needed to go to SFO too for a meeting
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I'm Springs based (actually closer to Monument) and prefer to fly out of the Springs unless UA is wanting more than $200 more vs. Denver.

One thing to note about COS, they recently offered a Premier Membership that includes the following for $200/yr:

The parking is what justified the cost for me, the rest was not important for my needs.

Here is the link for more info: http://flycos.coloradosprings.gov/ca...embership-pass
    Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, many others
    Based up in Eagle county. EGE is only about 25 minutes from my house, but almost always drive to Denver because of limited flights and high cost out of EGE. Still using United because most of my travel is trans-Pacific and as someone else mentioned, the direct DEN-NRT flight lets me get most places I need with only one stop (and 100% lie-flats at least on the UA metal). Starting to question using UA domestically given the reliability problems and abundant use of RJ's, but only real option for me would be Southwest. Refuse to fly Frontier after some poor experiences with them.
    Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
    Originally Posted by fastfxr
    I figure if we all band together and avoid them, UA will get the hint and remove them from service.
    Ha! Surely you've heard 90% of the people boarding an RJ exclaiming "Oh look! We're on a toy plane on this flight!" We are a very small minority here - the flying masses look at one detail and one detail only, that, of course, being the price. If DL is $5 more, they book UA.

Lots of COS flyers on this forum but some seem to have faded away post-merger. Perfectly understandable. I live in SW COS and *never* fly ex-DEN (although I connect there 80% if the time). I arrive at COS roughly 45 mins prior to departure and typically still have time for a pre-flight coctail. Easy parking, easy walk, easy security (most of the time!). Having said that, the reliability out of COS has been horrific post-merger and getting worse (and worse and worse), so I now build really long layovers into my itineraries for int'l travel.

This lounge thing will be interesting, not really expecting much.
    Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HGP Diamond, UA PP
    Recovering Den1K...had enough merger mess, RJs and terrible CPU%

I used to fly UA and was 1K for a few years based in DEN. I am a mix of 75% international in Y or J. The integration mess and terrible CPU percentages drove me to try AA. I haven't looked back. For domestic flyers I can see why you would stick with UACO or dabble with WN but all international travel on UACO is at least a trip to IAH, IAD or EWR. Only IAH is decent and those other two are turds. For AA I can go to ORD or DFW in the same one hop to most int destinations and get upgraded everytime (at least until DP has his way).

AA's CR7 service Den-LAX is not great but I am always upgraded as an Explat and American Eagle actually serves food I might eat. Now AA Den- ORD service is a mix of E175s and mainline which are both good and always upfront. For the northwest US I fly Alaskan and although I'm not upgraded, i get an exit row seat and treated very well. To Miami I haven't quite figured out the AA schedule, it was 2x757 daily service but that seems to be diminishing to 1X depending on the season but on that flight its a good meal upfront followed by a sundae. Quick hops to DFW on the MadDogs are easy and I can one hop to LATAM, Europe or HKG/PVG/NRT. This last year the 777W has been a real pleasure, MCE their E+ equivalent is good, J with all direct aisle access is excellent. Oneworld isn't the best to Europe but everywhere else it is great with access to int F lounges for showers and real meals in Syd, Mel and HKG and lots of other places. Star Alliance doesn't compare.

I will reevaluate after this AA/US merger integration but I have been enjoying 98% upgrades out of Den and an airline that when they do mess up, makes it right. I'd suggest reevaluating if UACO is really giving you the best bang for your buck.
    Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 24 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
    14 year 1K here, nine of those SFO based and the last five here in DEN.
    This year I have cut WAY back on UA flying. How far back? My spend with UA this year has been $1400 and I have about 14,000 PQM. I'm nearing 2MM and will make the effort to book UA on long hauls over *A partners to get myself over the line, but then I think it'll be less and less. I will book whoever makes the most sense for a route, given schedule, equipment and price all coming into consideration. I don't book the cheapest, I book what works for me, since I value my time much more than some do.
    Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
    Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
    This lounge thing will be interesting, not really expecting much.
    My understanding is that the lounge will take the space of Gate 6, which has been vacant in recent months. I agree that I don't see the value of it, but I guess time will tell.

Since your SW based, maybe I will see you at the Bee someday!
    Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
    Originally Posted by COSPILOT
    My understanding is that the lounge will take the space of Gate 6, which has been vacant in recent months. I agree that I don't see the value of it, but I guess time will tell.
    When they first announced this, it was going to be over in the (unused) east wing, but now it looks like it'll be down in the gate area, which makes much better sense.
    Does the $200 *include* parking? Or does this just for the valet fee? I'd drop $200 a year for parking, easily. Hell, I do that every 2 months.
    Really depends on what the lounge offers...and what the hours are. The COS airport is the absolute worst about staying open or staffed, so I doubt the lounge will be any different. Anybody wanna bet on bankers hours?
    Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by fastfxr
    When they first announced this, it was going to be over in the (unused) east wing, but now it looks like it'll be down in the gate area, which makes much better sense.
    Does the $200 *include* parking? Or does this just for the valet fee? I'd drop $200 a year for parking, easily. Hell, I do that every 2 months.
    Really depends on what the lounge offers...and what the hours are. The COS airport is the absolute worst about staying open or staffed, so I doubt the lounge will be any different. Anybody wanna bet on bankers hours?
    With regard to parking, you now valet every time, no additional cost (I tip a buck or two). Already used it twice. Present your card when picking up your car and done! I previously used the short term parking, so the membership pays for itself in 25 days.

Half my trips include include a 60 pound Pelican case, so pulling up to the check in area, assisted with luggage, having my car at the same area when I return is awesome! You simply give them your return flight info and they have your car ready and waiting. Best $200 I ever expensed, as it saves my company money and saves me time as well as my back.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 23, 2014 at 8:49 pm Reason: Merged per poster's request & removed poster's quoting themselves
    Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.4MM, Hertz 5*, Marriott Gold, lots of others ...
    Another DEN flyer here. My company's preferred carrier is AA, but I stick with UA for the convenience of having more direct flights. I fly about 2/3rds domestic and 1/3rd international. The DEN-NRT flight is really convenient for getting me into different parts of Asia in two easy hops. I really do wish they'd bring back the flight to LHR though.
    Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:26 pm
    Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Plat
    Thanks for all the feedback. It's great to know I'm not alone with my assessments of Denver and COS.

I too do my best to avoid the RJ200 for any distance. I don't mind the 15min flight COS-DEN, but that it about it. I am really not an Airbus fan either. Or at least the United Airbii I seem to get as they dont have AVOD and I prefer the older Boeing seats in F. I haven't flown in coach for a while until last week on a DEN-SNA flight. Man those new slimline seats suck for us tall guys! My favorite so far is the 757-200 when we board through the second doors and don't have a million people shuffling past the F cabin.

As a new FF, without status in another airline, I think I will stick with UA this year and gain 1K. I dont think I will make GS as I project only around $40K in ticket spend unless I end up booking a few more last minute -MAD trips. Maybe next year I will status match with AA or Delta if I feel the grass is greener over there.

I had no idea they were putting a lounge in at COS. Either I am out of the loop, or they have done a really poor job promoting it. I guess that is cool, but i usually show up just before a flight when at COS. COS valet parking sounds interesting, but I hate leaving my car outside with the potential for hail damage in COS. Do they have indoor parking there as well? If I have an early flight out of DEN, I usually go up the night before and stay at the Springhill by the airport then park at the covered lot.

Zeug
    Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
    Since your SW based, maybe I will see you at the Bee someday!
    That'd be fun! I haven't been to the Bee since the remodel - I'm a Hotel Bar kind of guy (I know most of the staff and love sitting out by the lake/fire smoking cigars). There used to be some kind of COS FT group that met monthly but I don't think I've seen any posts from any of the members lately, so it may have disbanded post-merger. I was never home when they did get together so I've never met any of them...
    Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
    That'd be fun! I haven't been to the Bee since the remodel - I'm a Hotel Bar kind of guy (I know most of the staff and love sitting out by the lake/fire smoking cigars). There used to be some kind of COS FT group that met monthly but I don't think I've seen any posts from any of the members lately, so it may have disbanded post-merger. I was never home when they did get together so I've never met any of them...
    ColoBill1 was the unofficial organizer of those events. Him and I still get together about once a month, but both of us would be more than happy to get together with anyone interested in something informal. The Bee is always fun, plus I'm a mug holder. I'm always game for the hotel bar, actually, I still call it the cigar bar.
    Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
    ColoBill1 was the unofficial organizer of those events. Him and I still get together about once a month, but both of us would be more than happy to get together with anyone interested in something informal. The Bee is always fun, plus I'm a mug holder. I'm always game for the hotel bar, actually, I still call it the cigar bar.
    It's been a few years since our last COS FT get-together. Think we met three or four times total, at various happy hour establishments that were somewhat centralized in Colorado Springs. Was quite enjoyable getting together and sharing our flying stories, frustrations and expertise. And CCIE is right, above...never could seem to schedule when he was in town. Would like to finally meet him, tho, and other local flyers that I've seen post on FT.

I'm one of those pesky leisure flyers that United seems to no longer care about. So after 18 years as a 1K segment qualifier, I have quit the game, and have logged only six flights to date on UA in 2014. Will drop to lifetime gold come next February. Hope my friend COSPILOT can hang in there.

Last edited by ColoBill1; Jul 26, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.