Need advice, missed connection on award

Old Jul 18, 14, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Need advice, missed connection on award

My sis-in-law (1K) and niece were flying LH in C (on UA award) LAX-FRA-FCO yesterday/today.

At FRA, my niece was feeling ill and my SIL took her into the LH lounge (to spend some time in bathroom and get water) and missed their flight.

There were two Y seats on next flight FRA to FCO but LH wouldnt touch the ticket and rebook her. No award space available (called UA from FRA) so she was forced to buy 2 walk up Y tickets for about $1500!!!

This seems so wrong to me. Assuming there is no travel insurance, does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle/resolve?
Old Jul 18, 14, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee View Post
My sis-in-law (1K) and niece were flying LH in C (on UA award) LAX-FRA-FCO yesterday/today.

At FRA, my niece was feeling ill and my SIL took her into the LH lounge (to spend some time in bathroom and get water) and missed their flight.

There were two Y seats on next flight FRA to FCO but LH wouldnt touch the ticket and rebook her. No award space available (called UA from FRA) so she was forced to buy 2 walk up Y tickets for about $1500!!!

This seems so wrong to me. Assuming there is no travel insurance, does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle/resolve?
Did your sister-in-law inform the agents in the LH lounge that your niece had taken ill before the flight? If not, they were no-shows. Sorry.r
Old Jul 18, 14, 2:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
If it was not the connecting airlines fault, you needed to go UA to ask to change the ticket. Appears that was done and nothing was immediately available (not surprising in the middle of summer). LH had no obligation to do anything (but it is surprising they lacked any compassion).

Given the mileage price of LAX-FRA is the same as LAX-FRA-FCO there is no mileage refund opportunity.

No trip insurance is a problem -- but what about credit card trip interruption coverage or homeowners?? I doubt you get much coverage but there may be something.
Old Jul 18, 14, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If this was a roundtrip ticket returning to LAX, your sister-in-law will also need to call and make sure her return ticket hasn't been cancelled - as the no show on the flight to FCO, probably cancelled the rest of her ticket.
Old Jul 18, 14, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
If this was a roundtrip ticket returning to LAX, your sister-in-law will also need to call and make sure her return ticket hasn't been cancelled - as the no show on the flight to FCO, probably cancelled the rest of her ticket.
Nope, 1 way.
Old Jul 18, 14, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
No trip insurance is a problem
What travel insurance plan will cover a missed connection like this where the ill pax just needed a break?

The OP would have had to go to a doctor and extend the delay to get the needed documentation for most travel insurance policies.
Old Jul 18, 14, 4:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by channa View Post
What travel insurance plan will cover a missed connection like this where the ill pax just needed a break?

The OP would have had to go to a doctor and extend the delay to get the needed documentation for most travel insurance policies.
True some documentation would help

Another idea would have been to request the lounge to ask for medical assistance -- after a quick checkout, suspect LH might have been more helpful. The medical assistance at German airports is excellent as I experienced once.
Old Jul 18, 14, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
True some documentation would help

Another idea would have been to request the lounge to ask for medical assistance -- after a quick checkout, suspect LH might have been more helpful. The medical assistance at German airports is excellent as I experienced once.
My kneejerk reaction (She didnt text me until after she got to FCO) would have been the opposite, that is, to announce a child has a stomach bug before boarding a flight could lead to the airline trying to keep the child off the plane.
Old Jul 18, 14, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unlikely that there is anything to be done here, but OP might try all avenues just in case:

1. Write to LH and explain. Be apologetic, especially for not having notifying LH that they would skip the flight.
2. Look at all travel insurance possibilities. Likely any claim would be denied as undocumented, but stranger things have happened.

And, as others note, definitely make certain that if there are onward / return segments from FCO that those segments were not cancelled with the no show.
Old Jul 19, 14, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
What would LH have done had the LAX-FRA flight been delayed in arriving? The travelers would have had to have been accommodated by LH on the next available FRA-FCO flight at no charge. Seems arbitrary that LH would not have accommodated the travelers on the next flight, regardless of whether they had formally "notified" the airline that the child was temporarily sick. People get lost in airports, fall asleep, etc., all the time.
Old Jul 19, 14, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by sannmann View Post
What would LH have done had the LAX-FRA flight been delayed in arriving? The travelers would have had to have been accommodated by LH on the next available FRA-FCO flight at no charge. Seems arbitrary that LH would not have accommodated the travelers on the next flight, regardless of whether they had formally "notified" the airline that the child was temporarily sick. People get lost in airports, fall asleep, etc., all the time.
Whoever delivers the passengers late for the connecting flight is responsible for rebooking. ie, the airline flying LAX-FCO would have been responsible for rebooking if they has missed due to the inbound being late, NOT the airline running the output flight. In this case both were LH so it's semantics.

In this case, it was the passengers "fault" that they missed the connection, so it's the passengers problem.

If they had been on a UA flight then UA would likely have re-accommodated (on at least a standby basis) under their "flat tire" rule, but I suspect LH doesn't have such a rule.

Having said that, it obviously would have been nice for LH to have handled it on compassionate grounds...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: