Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Observations of AA vs UA by a UA flyer(s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Observations of AA vs UA by a UA flyer(s)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
I'm a UA 1K who recently status matched to AA EXP. Differences I have seen so far:

1. UA 1K desk & FA's are equivalent to their AA counterparts. I have seen some small things like AA FA's have never offered PDB whereas UA FA's did, but that's pretty minor.
2. UA SDC is more flexible as it's anywhere in the last 24 hours, even if it's on a different day. AA is more restrictive that way.
3. UA CPU tiebreakers are on fare class, not time of check-in. I don't like the AA system because I book last-minute pretty often so I usually don't have good request times. This is changing next year though to 12-month rolling spend, so it'll be different.
4. UA has a LOT more award availability than AA, both domestically and internationally. I have consistently seen more saver awards for sure.
5. ORD->EWR->BOM is a UA route and with Star Alliance you have a lot of routes to UK/India off of AI/LX/LH. For UK/India, BA has a lot of options as does American. Like another poster mentioned, you have JFK/PHL/CLT/MIA who all fly to LHR, whereas with UA the east coast hubs are EWR/IAD. They also fly LAX/SFO/IAH -> LHR, but then you're going the other way.
6. I think the SA network is much bigger and better internationally than One World, especially for Asia where you have ANA, Eva, Asiana, Air New Zealand, and SQ (though hard to get UA flights + SQ flights cheaply on same itinerary). Since you don't travel internationally though, that's not relevant for you.
7. You get 6 GPUs as a 1K but only 4 SWUs going forward. BUT the GPU's must be used on W fare or above, which can be much pricier than the cheapest economy ticket. However the GPUs can be used on Lufthansa/ANA, unlike SWUs which are American only.

UA has been on the upswing service wise, and I'm excited to see the Polaris business seats. I have flown UA J a lot in my life and know and like the product, but no doubt other J cabins are better. I am going to be flying AA J soon so I'll have a better idea of the int'l biz product.

Overall I think both programs are comparable. You could status match just to try it out as I did. I think you'll be fine with either airline out of ORD, because your biggest issues are related to being in ORD with all the cancellations ;P
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by usafltg
  • Discounts on wine at United Clubs
FWIW, I believe this is gone. I haven't seen it offered my last few times through. Pouring salt in the wound, the generous 8oz pours seem to have been reduced to a standard 5oz glass. I miss this benefit. Hopefully I just hit a bad day in the club and this isn't a systemwide change...
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
FWIW, I believe this is gone. I haven't seen it offered my last few times through. Pouring salt in the wound, the generous 8oz pours seem to have been reduced to a standard 5oz glass. I miss this benefit. Hopefully I just hit a bad day in the club and this isn't a systemwide change...
I still received the discount the last time I used my United Club Card. Was $2 off.

-Justin
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chissflyer
I still received the discount the last time I used my United Club Card. Was $2 off.

-Justin
But did you get the extra pour that HeadInTheClouds used to receive?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
I'm also an AA EXP considering jumping ship to UA 1K via a corporate-sponsored status match.

Any thoughts on upgrade rates out of ORD for UA 1K vs AA EXP? I heard 1K rates are poor - but are they really that poor?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by usafltg
Hey guys,

If all that's true, that's kind of impressive. Today... I am a Platinum Marriott Member, and a National Exec Elite car renter, so I would basically have to switch my entire life around it sounds like.

However.... all this aside, American has never done me wrong. I enjoy their new fleet of aircraft, I can pretty much always find a route where I've need to be the past several years (Really the only overseas travel I've had has been to Hong Kong, Melbourne, and Rio). I really love the System Wide Upgrades for international flights and the 77W that have full lie flat private beds.

With my new company I'll have to be doing some travel to India and to the UK (I assume London at this point) in the near future, plus a lot of east coast domestic travel from ORD (at least in the beginning).

With all that being said I'm trying to weigh the benefits of remaining with AAdvantage vs switching to United. I don't really know anything about United's program and how it compares, but Upgrades is my #1 concern (i.e. ability to purchase economy on domestic / international flights and upgrade for free - complimentary - systemwide). Flexible flights and wide network range is also a big concern.

Can some people weigh in on these programs and offer me some insight?
I don't see why you couldn't stick with Marriott (who is in tight with UA partnership) and National. I have status with both, especially as National is our corporate contract.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I don't see why you couldn't stick with Marriott (who is in tight with UA partnership) and National. I have status with both, especially as National is our corporate contract.
Yeah I don't care how many UA miles Hertz offers per rental, I'm not switching from National.

And airline program is totally independent from hotel program for me. Though I do appreciate the free Marriott Gold status via UA
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah I don't care how many UA miles Hertz offers per rental, I'm not switching from National.

And airline program is totally independent from hotel program for me. Though I do appreciate the free Marriott Gold status via UA
Agreed my last experince with Hertz was my last
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
Is expanded MileSAAver availability for EXP economy only?

Is premium cabin excluded?
Not necessary. Premium cabin may be available. However, most AA FTers found that benefit virtually non-existent. You have to first have an agent(PM-US night not or they are just not well trained) who understands such a thing, and get to the right department(RM). Sometimes the response is immediate, sometimes it is not.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...merged-23.html

However, you shouldn't rely on this particular benefit to determine whether you should switch to AA.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee

I thought I was the only one - I stick with National as well.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I recently tried out the new Polaris seat at the showcase. I still prefer AA's J seats on the 77W and 788.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:49 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I thought I was the only one - I stick with National as well.
Definitely not the only one. National is one of the few companies in any industry that I truly sing the virtues of. They have been nothing less than fabulous, except for a fumbled midnight pickup in Vegas (rectified with $100 off of a $200 rental)...They wipe the floor with any other rental company out there...Hertz has peed me off three too many times to ever use them again, not to mention they have never recognized this Chairman Circle Whatever status that comes with 1K, after being specifically told in PHL "Your status means nothing. And no, you can't pick from that area, even though you have..." (again) whatever that high alleged status is.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by chissflyer
For reference, my recent experiences were @ SNA.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: DL DM
Moving to Chicago--United or AA

Hi all,

I am moving to Chicago and wondering which airline most ORD people prefer.
I travel every week for work and book business/first. Most of my travel is domestic but also go to Europe/Asia ~4 times per year (2 each).

I have flown both AA and United a few times over the years and haven't really noticed a consistent difference in equipment, service, etc.

However, it seems like the United GS is much better than American's Concierge Key.
United also has many more direct flights from ORD to Europe.
And United miles seem more valuable.
... so I'm leaning towards United.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AeoNKiNG
Hi all,

I am moving to Chicago and wondering which airline most ORD people prefer.
I travel every week for work and book business/first. Most of my travel is domestic but also go to Europe/Asia ~4 times per year (2 each).

I have flown both AA and United a few times over the years and haven't really noticed a consistent difference in equipment, service, etc.

However, it seems like the United GS is much better than American's Concierge Key.
United also has many more direct flights from ORD to Europe.
And United miles seem more valuable.
... so I'm leaning towards United.

Thoughts?

Consider where your domestic travel will go, and evaluate network and schedule for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.