Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Observations of AA vs UA by a UA flyer(s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Observations of AA vs UA by a UA flyer(s)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread, along with all the great contributions so far.

I have been contemplating this switch for quite some time and this has been a great read for the various things to consider.

Well done, FTers. ^
If the Tom Horton AA was the go-forward airline, I'd say switch in a heartbeat; but with DP leading the show, and lack of clarity on 2015 earning/redemption, it's a bit tougher of a call.

If you're a HVF, unless you're a hub/corporate captive, AA has a lot more to offer quality-wise IMO.

If you're a VFF (doing over 100K), I think it's a smart move to cap UA mileage at some point (ideally not a mile over 100,000 ) and utilize AA/DL or one of the other niche carriers.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by JT_BOS
Doesn't FRA also have very high PFC? Perhaps a little lower than LHR?
Much lower than LHR. Half, if not cheaper.

Is there no more *net blocking? That is, no need to search on ANA or AC web site? Unless you want SQ?
Starnet blocking is long gone since March'12 switch to SHARES. The only thing you need for ANA/AC is SN/LO/SQ. I'm not too sure about whether ANA Japanese domestic award seats show up on UA.com though.

In my personal experiences, Less than 1/4 of my award trips have a stopover.
That's why I try to maintain ~150-200K balance in both UA and AA accounts. Different miles for different trips.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It will go up, but it's insanely cheap right now...US to SE Asia, one way C is 55K miles and F is 67.5K miles. On UA partner carriers, C is 80K and F is, what, 140K now?

IME still pretty easy to find CX flights for awards.

Have an interesting story from last week on AA...LGA-DFW (so an hourly shuttle basically), we start to board when the captain comes out and says "sorry, need to de-board, this plane is going out of service".

With UA, this means "flight cancelled, you're screwed, may or may not be auto-rebooked, good luck". On this AA flight, they announced they were pulling a plane from another flight, just needed to switch gates, do paperwork, etc. Delay ended up being 45 min, no biggie.

Now it was a focus city for them, but not a hub, so not like they have tons of 737s sitting around. But based on past (UA) experience, thought for sure I was looking at a cancel. Just shows what you have come to expect w/UA though.
Same thing happened with my wife and me when we were coming home from CDG to the US. 777 went out of service and UA switched planes so the trip home wasn't delayed too long.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by scherzva
...Strengths of AA:

- WiFi (UA has it on some planes, but not enough)
- Better catering
- Easier to get upgraded as EXP than 1K (from IAD)
- Sometimes low-prices P fares (discounted F)
- They still give free upgrades between LAX/SFO and JFK (UA didn't last I checked)
- EXP get a free drink and BoB in Y if not upgraded
- 8 SWU for EXP with no
- Far superior catering in F...

UA has great -UP fares as well. How about DEN--PIT return for $553 in mainline F with meals vs $474 in Y? In "A" (1.75X RDMs) to boot?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Bonehead

UA has great -UP fares as well. How about DEN--PIT return for $553 in mainline F with meals vs $474 in Y? In "A" (1.75X RDMs) to boot?
I've noticed that too ... a lot of far-out bookings have high Y but low F fares

Between the PQD requirements, much higher mileage earning on post 3/1/15, and the really horrible cpm in Y, it almost makes me want to book them
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Thanks, OP and others

I agree that coming from UA, AA's lack of free SDC for elites is lame. Nearly ubiquitous domestic WiFi OTOH is great.

I'm curious to learn more about this:
Originally Posted by inpd
1) UA.com does a great job at reporting cheap flights. But with AA.com you can easily find cheaper flights using HipMunk, Kayak etc. I mean much cheaper.
Is this just for connecting, international and/or mixed itins with OW partners? Or for domestic/nonstops too?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It will go up, but it's insanely cheap right now...US to SE Asia, one way C is 55K miles and F is 67.5K miles. On UA partner carriers, C is 80K and F is, what, 140K now?

IME still pretty easy to find CX flights for awards.

Have an interesting story from last week on AA...LGA-DFW (so an hourly shuttle basically), we start to board when the captain comes out and says "sorry, need to de-board, this plane is going out of service".

With UA, this means "flight cancelled, you're screwed, may or may not be auto-rebooked, good luck". On this AA flight, they announced they were pulling a plane from another flight, just needed to switch gates, do paperwork, etc. Delay ended up being 45 min, no biggie.

Now it was a focus city for them, but not a hub, so not like they have tons of 737s sitting around. But based on past (UA) experience, thought for sure I was looking at a cancel. Just shows what you have come to expect w/UA though.
AA tends to fly the same equipment all day on a particular route, making swaps easier, while UA tends to be all over the map. That also gives you a more consistent experience on AA, although UA gives you the opportunity to pick more favorable equipment.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by 787fan
I've noticed that too ... a lot of far-out bookings have high Y but low F fares

Between the PQD requirements, much higher mileage earning on post 3/1/15, and the really horrible cpm in Y, it almost makes me want to book them
I wish they used the same strategy on International as I would be all over it. Right now I'm looking at an $8k fare from XXX-ORD-HKG-SIN-NRT-ORD-XXX. I even called the GS line and they had the same issue with pricing (I thought perhaps the routing was too complex for .bomb)

Given their recent announcements the way UA is pricing things lately is understandable, but frustrating. I did notice that if I change the routing to XXX-ORD-ICN-HKG-SIN-NRT-ORD-XXX I can literally save several thousands of dollars - but then I have to fly another airline and add a stop - not the end of the world but frustrating never the less.

Part of the issue seems to be the inclusion of SIN - they won't sell me a business class seat (J0) but will only sell me an A fare in advance as they hold all the seats in advance for connections to SIN from the US... However, I can buy an economy V fare from HKG-SIN-NRT on UA metal for $510 and upgrade - but can't do all segments on one ticket as the system will not allow - so I have to buy 2.

Ugh
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I flew AA in First for the first time yesterday and was very disappointed vs UA. On AA's plus side, I thought that the cabin and seat were less dreary, and the FA (for there was only one) was a lot friendlier.

But, there was no PDB, no nuts, even nastier wine than UA has (Hacienda Cab in a small plastic bottle) and no snack box, just some pretzels. I recognise that it was a short flight (LAX-SFO), but at 7:15 in the evening, it was prime dinner time - too early to have eaten before and a little too late to eat after, so it would have been nice to have had the snack basket.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
UA has better seats in F & J on most if not all TPAC/TATL. No MCE and no lie flat on AA except the 777-300ER routes. Real power on UA long haul fleet, not the ancient cigarette lighter type power.

I hear on the AA Transcon premium services flights wine selection is abysmal and so is food. I think i head someone call them "TV dinners". Guess ill find out Saturday when i try out the A321.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by CDKing
UA has better seats in F & J on most if not all TPAC/TATL. No MCE and no lie flat on AA except the 777-300ER routes. Real power on UA long haul fleet, not the ancient cigarette lighter type power.
Yes, but AA is actively installing new J seats on the 767s and 772s -- and both are way better than UA C.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Bonehead

I've found the availability on AA better, especially close-in. UA's problem is rev management - so many times on UA I'd see A0 a week before and they wind up upgrading/TOD'ing half the F cabin day-of anyway. I'd much rather fly an airline that wants to sell its F cabin, even if via discounted fares.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
But, there was no PDB, no nuts, even nastier wine than UA has (Hacienda Cab in a small plastic bottle) and no snack box, just some pretzels. I recognise that it was a short flight (LAX-SFO), but at 7:15 in the evening, it was prime dinner time - too early to have eaten before and a little too late to eat after, so it would have been nice to have had the snack basket.
You have to compare similar flights... I never get a snack box SFO-LAS on UA for example. No excuse for no PDB, but I find my PDB success much higher on AA than UA so far.

Also, is 6 or even 6:30pm really too early to eat dinner? -_-
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by gengar

You have to compare similar flights... I never get a snack box SFO-LAS on UA for example. No excuse for no PDB, but I find my PDB success much higher on AA than UA so far.

On flights of similar length on UA, I've experienced the snack basket that the FA passes around. I don't know what AA does, but it seems from the OP that AA doesn't even do that.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
I am beginning my adventure in doing an EXP challenge august 1... I hope I'm not expecting too much.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gengar

On LAX-SFO I know WN throws some peanuts/pretzels at you and DL hands out LUVO snacks (I think a wrap and fruit). No clue what AA/UA does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.