Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can a Premier have companions on separate reservations put in E+ & bag fees waived?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a Premier have companions on separate reservations put in E+ & bag fees waived?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:55 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)

A 1K desk agent gave me the following information today:

As a Premier, I can call in after reservations are made and have companions on different reservations cross-referenced to mine and then the companions can be seated in E+ with no charge and get bag fees waived....as long as we are traveling together.

My understanding before the agent told me that was that the Premier member and the companions all had to be on the same reservation in order to receive any fee waivers. That is what is stated on the UA website.

I'm asking the UA MileagePlus FT community...does any Premier member have experience with this "cross-referencing" of separate reservations to extend E+ seating and seating/bag fee waivers to companions traveling on the same aircraft? Did you encounter any problems with this at the airport? Thanks for your input.

Last edited by mkr; Jul 14, 2014 at 8:03 pm Reason: spellun'
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
It is generally a policy, but maybe not written in any customer-facing format. Had a reservation once where I was flying in from a different city to meet up with a friend who is 1K (obviously, separate reservations). He called the 1K line (twice actually, and both agents helped) and they thanked him for being 1K, said it would be no problem to be seated together in E+ on the flights we were actually flying together. I have no idea about bag fees though, unless you have an itinerary that mirrors the premier in which the member can vouch for the other person at the ticket counter when checking bags?

It definitely should not be an issue, just hang up and call again if an agent says no.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
E+ definitely does not require the same reservation, but I'm pretty sure the bagagge fee waiver does.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I've definitely moved up companions on other reservations to E+, but have never tried the bag part. I doubt they'd go for that.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
E+ -- yes , very standard policy
Bags -- mostly no, occasional reports of non-pnr companions -- very definitively not standard policy.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:30 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Bags -- mostly no, occasional reports of non-pnr companions -- very definitively not standard policy.
Thanks WineCountryUA. So, once again either the 1K desk agent was misinformed or the policy is not widely understood by UA airport agents and/or inconsistently implemented?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mkr
So, once again either the 1K desk agent was misinformed or the policy is not widely understood by UA airport agents and/or inconsistently implemented?
Par for the course, though the baggage restriction is probably enforced much more often than not.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mkr
...., once again either the 1K desk agent was misinformed ....
there is no 1K Desk Agent (as we knew in the past) anymore. The folks answering the 1K phone line are Premier Agents

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ill-lives.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-1k-line.html
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
You can get a companion seated in E+.

If you are not maximizing your 3 baggage allowance, the easiest way for the allowance is to check your companion's bag as yours.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Although usually not checking 3+ bags with family I've had no problem checking bags in their name when not on same PNR, so long as flights are same (didn't work for mom who was on same first leg, but different second leg)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.