SFO-BOS in F cabin -- pricing

Old Jul 14, 14, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
SFO-BOS in F cabin -- pricing

Anyone else here regularly fly to/from Boston? I've been doing this for many years.

Today I saw something that really surprised me: $617 total one-way on United in F (Sept. 10th, P class). I jumped on it. I don't think I've ever seen such a reasonably-priced premium cabin fare for this route. I was hoping Virgin America was matching that, but no such luck.

Any ideas on why United was selling the F cabin for such a tempting price? I wonder if it might have something to do with JetBlue's Mint product, which I understand will be available on this route at some point.
Old Jul 15, 14, 11:34 am

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
This is not the "typical" unrestricted first class fare. It is a 14-day advance, nonrefundable fare. UA has many of these to different cities --

e.g., SFO IAD - 21-day advance nonrefundable - $578
SFO PHL - 21-day advance nonrefundable - $498
Old Jul 15, 14, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerryFF View Post
This is not the "typical" unrestricted first class fare. It is a 14-day advance, nonrefundable fare. UA has many of these to different cities --

e.g., SFO IAD - 21-day advance nonrefundable - $578
SFO PHL - 21-day advance nonrefundable - $498
Do you see these often? Maybe I just haven't been looking closely enough.

I sure wish Virgin America would offer those prices for their F cabin.
Old Jul 15, 14, 3:25 pm

I see them in many markets but they seem to vary a lot in cost. Sometimes certain city pairs will be quite low, such as the one you picked up, and at other times the same market will be much higher. Also, availability of P class varies dramatically and the fare basis usually seems to be an upgraded coach class fare in S or V or E class. For example, the SFO-BOS fare you found has a fare basis of SAA14AGN/UPDI but booked in P class.
Old Jul 15, 14, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerryFF View Post
I see them in many markets but they seem to vary a lot in cost. Sometimes certain city pairs will be quite low, such as the one you picked up, and at other times the same market will be much higher. Also, availability of P class varies dramatically and the fare basis usually seems to be an upgraded coach class fare in S or V or E class. For example, the SFO-BOS fare you found has a fare basis of SAA14AGN/UPDI but booked in P class.
Maybe United's thinking is it's better to sell this at $617 rather than have to give it away for free to a 1K. I get a kick out of the typical upgrade waitlist:

United First®: 24 | Booked: 22 | Checked In: 20

...and then there will be something like two dozen people on the waitlist. It'd take a minor miracle for a Silver like me to get in the premium cabin this way.
Old Jul 15, 14, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Maybe United's thinking is it's better to sell this at $617 rather than have to give it away for free to a 1K. I get a kick out of the typical upgrade waitlist:

United First®: 24 | Booked: 22 | Checked In: 20

...and then there will be something like two dozen people on the waitlist. It'd take a minor miracle for a Silver like me to get in the premium cabin this way.
That sounds like an improvement. I usually see 50+ pax on the upgrade waitlist for hub routes like SFO/EWR and SFO/IAD. Once my travel pattern didn't support maintaining 1K anymore I shifted most of my flying away from UA.

As for the fares themselves: I will look more carefully for these in the future when I am booking well in advance! JerryFF-- is any special search technique required? Will a search for business/first class seats on ua.com show them?
Old Jul 15, 14, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

darthbimmer, I found this with an ordinary fare search on united.com. I had sought a coach fare & mileage upgrade. No upgrades were available, but to my great surprise I saw a teaser in the upper-left of the screen about how F was available for $617.
Old Jul 15, 14, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
That sounds like an improvement. I usually see 50+ pax on the upgrade waitlist for hub routes like SFO/EWR and SFO/IAD. Once my travel pattern didn't support maintaining 1K anymore I shifted most of my flying away from UA.

As for the fares themselves: I will look more carefully for these in the future when I am booking well in advance! JerryFF-- is any special search technique required? Will a search for business/first class seats on ua.com show them?
I think that normally, if you are at ua.com, if you check the first/business class box that these fares will come up. I use Sabre in my work and find them that way, but you are welcome to PM me anytime you are looking and I would be happy to check.

Last edited by JerryFF; Jul 18, 14 at 9:16 am
Old Jan 15, 15, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

I just booked a RT in September for $1,264. Once again, P fares. I consider this a good deal -- so seldom do I see the big legacies offer a reasonable fare for a premium cabin.

This works out to $416 more in each direction over coach. True, United domestic F on a 737 isn't exactly an Emirates suite, but it's a lot more comfortable than coach. And SFO-BOS is about as long as flights get in the lower 48.
Old Jan 15, 15, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
I just booked a RT in September for $1,264. Once again, P fares. I consider this a good deal -- so seldom do I see the big legacies offer a reasonable fare for a premium cabin.

This works out to $416 more in each direction over coach. True, United domestic F on a 737 isn't exactly an Emirates suite, but it's a lot more comfortable than coach. And SFO-BOS is about as long as flights get in the lower 48.
that's a normal discount F fare BOS-SFO IMO. Nothing new here.
Old Jan 15, 15, 6:40 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Slightly off topic: I remember, not even that long ago, when SFO-BOS was a 3 class 767-200, with ice cream and port served in crystal glasses up front. I got op-upped from coach as a lowly college student, which cemented my loyalty to UA for the next many years.
Old Jan 15, 15, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
I do this route often (2-3 x month) and rarely see P fares like that w/o connecting through another city.
Old Jan 15, 15, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jace View Post
I do this route often (2-3 x month) and rarely see P fares like that w/o connecting through another city.
SDA14AGN/UPDI I have definitely seen them before.

and no ... you CANNOT connect: TRAVEL MUST BE NONSTOP

this particular fare was filed 10/16/14 ... so it's been a while ...
Old Jan 15, 15, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat
And as mentioned in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...plain-dot.html

there may be problems with these UP fares in case of IRROPS.
Old Jan 15, 15, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tyroner View Post
And as mentioned in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...plain-dot.html

there may be problems with these UP fares in case of IRROPS.
and what does this have to do with BOS-SFO pricing

Search this Thread