Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Comments / experiences with UA's SEA gates & UC - Moving out of Term A to B?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2MM

Sorry--I've looked and am not finding it. My particular rant on the "new" United Club at A9 is the men's restroom facilities (sorry ladies). Really, only one toilet? And when you exit the toilet the door hits someone in front of one of the two urinals in the butt? Whoever designed this facility deserves a 'bad engineer' award. Mods--please move this to the appropriate place.

I've been meaning to write this for many months, went through SEA again today, and finally was pushed over the edge.

BTW, having windows and a view over the concourse is nice, lots of good things about the Club, but the restroom design is just...so bad!
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
OT, but most airport bathrooms are poorly designed. Why do the vast majority of stalls have doors than open inwards? Do designers not realize that a lot of the people who use airport bathrooms have luggage?

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. At least the door at the club opens outwards
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tkc98110
My particular rant on the "new" United Club at A9 is the men's restroom facilities (sorry ladies). Really, only one toilet?

but the restroom design is just...so bad!
UA has to cut cost some way ......

Jeff wants you to use the restroom's outside of the lounge

45+ bathrooms multiplied by (# of toilet's saved) = $$$$$
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:55 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
This is the thread about the Seattle UC.

There is a master thread about UCs. Search for " 2014 United Club Thread." if you want to see what others may have posted about the SEA UC.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
We were in the UC SEA last month. I was disapointed by the location - no plane spotting. The new chairs with the power ports were comfortable, but half of the power ports - mainly the USB ones - were faulty.

On another note, if UA would take the resources that they're using to install power ports at the gates and UCs, and install more power ports on the aircraft instead. I guess that's for a new thread.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Sorry--I've looked and am not finding it. My particular rant on the "new" United Club at A9 is the men's restroom facilities (sorry ladies). Really, only one toilet? And when you exit the toilet the door hits someone in front of one of the two urinals in the butt? Whoever designed this facility deserves a 'bad engineer' award. Mods--please move this to the appropriate place.

I've been meaning to write this for many months, went through SEA again today, and finally was pushed over the edge.

BTW, having windows and a view over the concourse is nice, lots of good things about the Club, but the restroom design is just...so bad!
Haven't been to the new club at SEA. But I bet they beat the bathrooms at the SQ club for *G at SIN, where there are no bathrooms - you have to leave the lounge to go.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:34 pm

It's UA...and SEA...two things that no longer go together
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:36 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Catbert10
OT, but most airport bathrooms are poorly designed. Why do the vast majority of stalls have doors than open inwards? Do designers not realize that a lot of the people who use airport bathrooms have luggage?

This is not restricted to UA lounges. AA have the same problems - and yes, there is nothing more annoying than not being able to get into a stall with bags without doing a high jump to clear the bag, miss the toilet seat, and land without twisting a foot and without slipping on a wet spot on the floor while trying to minimise the entertainment value for anyone else in viewing range.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
Across the hall from the bathrooms is a "Family bathroom" that is almost always available = and private. And the door swings out.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by steveman518
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
My particular rant on the "new" United Club at A9 is the men's restroom facilities (sorry ladies). Really, only one toilet? And when you exit the toilet the door hits someone in front of one of the two urinals in the butt? Whoever designed this facility deserves a 'bad engineer' award. Mods--please move this to the appropriate place.
You know it's inherited space, right? DL and AA both built clubs down there at the end of A concourse back when it first opened about ten years ago, then evacuated quickly (DL because it moved to South Satellite, AA because the Port of Seattle tried to force through an insane rent hike). The United Club occupies one of those two spaces, I can't recall which. At any rate UA did not design the footprint.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by steveman518
UA Jan - April 2014 (including UEX) traffic at SEA:

Total pax: 918,475
% of traffic @ SEA: 8.7%

It may be below historic standards, but still third largest carrier during this period behind AS and DL (and ahead of fourth place WN).

Regarding a merge for this thread, I think it fits in the catch all thread about UA's move from N to A gates.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ay-2013-a.html
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Haven't been to the new club at SEA. But I bet they beat the bathrooms at the SQ club for *G at SIN, where there are no bathrooms - you have to leave the lounge to go.
Just like UC at FLL
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:05 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I'm at the SEA UC every three or four weeks.

I love the space and the staff are some of the nicest and most helpful folks you'll find.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10

This is a design standard.

Doors the open private spaces, open in: bathroom stalls, bedrooms, the outer doors of your house.

Doors that open public spaces, or places that do not need privacy, open out: outer doors at public buildings (offices, stores, etc.), closet doors.

Think about it this way, do you really want to be using the toilet and the door has a broken latch and it just swings open and away from you? Not that bathroom stall doors ever have broken latches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.