Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage credit for IRROPS / diversions / return to airport / .... ?

Old May 5, 2022, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Flight credit in irrops situation
  • For diverted and then continued to destination -- generally just the standard credit, no extra for the diversion. Some possibility if diversion is overnight and a special section is scheduled, then separate flight credit
  • For very indirect flight plan (such as to avoid weather) -- nope (especially in the case of fare based crediting)
  • For return to base -- it is as if the flight never happened.
  • Planned rerouting, With fare based credit, no change but should get the extra segments credit. If the rerouting reduces the segment credit, request ORC.

For lifetime miles, again generally just the originally booked credit
  • For return to base, never happen
  • For formal rerouting, should receive reroute credit, if less ORC
Print Wikipost

Mileage credit for IRROPS / diversions / return to airport / .... ?

Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:46 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by welless
I searched for this topic, but didn't find anything... Was recently on UA1110, SFO-DEN. Diverted to COS for weather, so the flight number was split into UA1110 SFO-COS, then UA1110 COS-DEN. Mileage posted as SFO-DEN only, both RDM and PQM. I've never actually been on a flight that splits into two during IRROPS, just wanted to make sure the way the miles posted is the correct one. Thanks!
It usually takes a call to Mileage Plus to have the original routing credited for the proper RDM & PQM to post.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
It usually takes a call to Mileage Plus to have the original routing credited for the proper RDM & PQM to post.
And that is exactly how this worked. Owing to a comedy(?) of errors(?), not our fault, we were re booked on Quantas & arrived at the desired destination 48 hrs after the originally intended date. A simple & fairly short call to MPSC led to the RDM, PQM, etc being posted to our respective accounts as of the original date.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jah294
i was being a bit tongue-in-cheek but am definitely going to try for the segment and 500 miles. You never know!
most likely a waste of time. Assuming your flight keeps the same flight number, it would be credited anyway as a 'direct' flight, which UA does as origin to destination with no dfiference as to the stop in the middle.

I remember years ago, was doing ABE-ORD, and by the time we got into Chicago airspace, had to circle and then go to Ft. Wayne, IN to refuel. My first thought wasn't about miles. My first thought (in all honesty) was why would they not load enough fuel (to which the answer was probably they weren't anticipating the arrival conditions that they ended up having). But the next thought wasn't about miles, either - it was, glad the pilot brought us to where we could land safely with enough fuel to get there. Stuff happens sometimes, and many times, it's not really anyone's fault. I find life is a lot easier that way.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried to ask for extra miles for diversion once upon deplaning but the FA said "we did not charge you for the extra flying" so we decided to call it even

There was a Murphy Brown episode when she thought her plane was crashing and got her recorder out for her will and said "I expect to get full mileage credit for this flight"

Maybe write to UA saying they should have loaded enough fuel to avoid the diversion and see what they will give you?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:47 pm

United JAX to MCO Service

I got to fly on 737 service non stop Jacksonville to Orlando tonight. I don't think they regularly fly that route. I was special I guess when they closed Orlando for weather and we didn't have enough fuel to keep flying in circles. We finally took off from Jax and never got above 17k feet for the cruze into mco.

Crew did well given the situation. I should get a little more miles and an extra segment. It was my first time getting diverted to another airport. I had the flight tracking channel on the in seat tv and I knew something was up when we stopped descending into Mco and instead started climbing.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:59 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Where did you land?

The chances of getting another segment for this is <0.

Depending upon the situation which is hard to decipher from your post (or maybe it's just me), you may get some compensation miles. Maybe.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jon_R
.... I should get a little more miles and an extra segment. ....
Nope, that is not the standard outcome -- you will get credit the scheduled flight miles.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Where did you land?

The chances of getting another segment for this is <0.

Depending upon the situation which is hard to decipher from your post (or maybe it's just me), you may get some compensation miles. Maybe.
it was a flight Houston to Orlando. After circling Orlando we went to Jax. Looking at flight status in my phone flight number then showed it was flgiht iAH to JAX and JAX to MCO. It was weather so not looking for compensation just thought it would post miles actually flown. If not no big deal.

Glad we went to jax and not mlb. It would have been frustrating to sit on the plane when 10 miles from my house. I am sure they would not have let me off.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
How does mileage credit works with IRROPS?

Had a 3 leg journey today. First flight (LGA-IAH at painful 545 am) had engine failure at take off. Quite scary with 2 enormous loud bangs. They had to divert us to EWR. Looked like they couldnt get me to destination and would be just directly from EWR to final destination.
Question: would they have given me credit for all 3 legs if couldnt take 2nd leg due to the issue with 1st leg?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by anandrag
Had a 3 leg journey today. First flight (LGA-IAH at painful 545 am) had engine failure at take off. Quite scary with 2 enormous loud ‘bangs’. They had to divert us to EWR. Looked like they couldn’t get me to destination and would be just directly from EWR to final destination.
Question: would they have given me credit for all 3 legs if couldn’t take 2nd leg due to the issue with 1st leg?

You can call United and ask for Original Routing Credit. You should calculate if that gives you more PQMs. Obviously it's 3 PQS instead of 2 PQS (or more if you were booked in First Class).

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 23, 2018 at 7:45 am
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
You can call United and ask for Original Routing Credit.
That works seamlessly. Requested accruals for my original flights multiple times without an issue
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Has always worked for me. Usually, just call in and its pretty quick. Hey can see the PNR history and reason for the change (invol), so its an easy thing for them to do.

With RDM being based on PQD, that doesnt change. So it woild just be PQM that would be different.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:32 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
You should have no problems requesting ORC (original routing credit). You do have to request it, however; they don't automatically credit you for your original trip.

Note that you will get the ORC as a PQM & PQS direct adjustment, not as removing the subsequent irrops flights & crediting the original ones (e.g. you will have a line item for "PQM ADJUSTMENT" or the like with the extra miles). This will not affect your lifetime miles, either; your lifetime miles will reflect whatever irrops routing you took.

Finally, the last few times I've requested ORC, the MP Service Center requested that I wait 5 days after the irrops flights posted, FWIW.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by anandrag
Question: would they have given me credit for all 3 legs if couldn’t take 2nd leg due to the issue with 1st leg?
See what actually credits and if the original routing credit is preferred, ask (as others mentioned) for ORC

See this wiki for more on the process, from Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)
Old May 5, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Flight returned to airport.... do I get anything?

Attempted to fly LAX-SBP last night. We attempted to land at SBP but due to fog the pilot abandoned the landing 200 feet from the ground and flew back to LAX. United only flies this sub-200 mile route once at day at 11pm and the alternative routes they offered were equally awful so I elected to make the 3 hour drive instead.

Is it safe to assume I get nothing for this "segment". Since we actually flew is there a way to get a PQP or 500 lifetime miles flown for this?

What (if anything) might United give me if I complain. I tried to get a vouncher for the value of the segment, but the phone agent said since I already flew HNL-LAX they can't do that.

1K if it matters. Out about $90 for the car rental.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.