Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight is delayed - Will scheduled meal be served? A different meal be served?

Flight is delayed - Will scheduled meal be served? A different meal be served?

Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:24 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by flyinbob
I've never seen them re-cater. I've had breakfast at 11:30 in the morning a couple of times an 8:30 flight was delayed.
I wonder if it depends upon the airport whether UA re-caters.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mkr
I wonder if it depends upon the airport whether UA re-caters.
At IAH, I think there's a chance...
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Major determinant seems to be how long before the food cannot be safely served. At that point, either recatering as at a major hub such as IAH or no catering at all.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JBord
I've seen them re-cater sometimes. But IMO, whatever breakfast they're serving will be much better than the choice of the Chicken Bouquet or the Shrimp Salad. Be careful what you wish for.
Really? The hot breakfast seems to be broadly reviled.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Really? The hot breakfast seems to be broadly reviled.
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Personally though, I don't mind the Jeff McMuffin, but can honestly say I will usually not eat the lunch options, except for the soup.

I'm not, by any measure, an unsophisticated diner, so I guess there really just is no accounting for taste.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:59 am
mkr
Suspended

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think it will depend if the flight has been already catered with the breakfast options. If it hasn't and its catered just prior to take off, you might get the lunches. Just guessing here...Let us know the outcome.
They announced on flight departure board a further delay for mechanical reasons. Nobody we found at UA knows any more info. Flight now leaving at approximately 1:30. If standard lunch meal window still runs just until 1 pm for a situation with this delay, then there may be no lunch.

Travelling with several others & we want to keep our group together, or we would switch to a different flight. I guess we'd better grab something to eat in airport to be safe.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mkr
I guess we'd better grab something to eat in airport to be safe.
ALWAYS the best option, IMHO.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
I think you are on 787 (UA 1126) from IAH to DEN. This flight has a major delay -- original 9 am departure. Because it is IAH, there is a good chance you will be catered again.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
I have had a couple of flights serve lunch after being delayed as breakfast flights recently - one out of IAD, one out of SFO. One of them loaded 2 too few lunches which led to a different set of problems...

I have also had several flights delayed out of the meal window - they all served the meal...good. I've also had a couple serve breakfast at noon (one was EWR)
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:54 pm
mkr
Suspended

Update to thread

The flight finally departed. It was an hour after the 1 pm cutoff for a lunch meal, but UA is serving a lunch, instead of the breakfast this flight was originally scheduled to serve.

But I still wonder if UA policy is to serve the appropriate meal based upon when the delayed flight actually leaves? In this case, lunch instead of breakfast. In another case, it might be dinner instead of lunch.

Or is there no policy and UA chose to serve lunch in this case because it was from IAH?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mkr
The flight finally departed. It was an hour after the 1 pm cutoff for a lunch meal, but UA is serving a lunch, instead of the breakfast this flight was originally scheduled to serve.

But I still wonder if UA policy is to serve the appropriate meal based upon when the delayed flight actually leaves? In this case, lunch instead of breakfast. In another case, it might be dinner instead of lunch.

Or is there no policy and UA chose to serve lunch in this case because it was from IAH?
Whew!!! Crisis averted.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mkr
Seems like it would be pretty hard to have a policy other than "we'll try to cater an appropriate meal", given the variables such as length of delay, when the delay begins, whether catering is on board, whether the station could replace catering easily, and so on.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:01 pm
mkr
Suspended

Originally Posted by marvanit
Whew!!! Crisis averted.
Nobody mentioned in this thread that there was a crisis.

My questions remain unaddressed about whether there is a UA policy to serve a different meal when a significant flight delay causes passengers to miss an earlier meal service.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
I have had breakfast at noon out of ORD.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by marvanit
Whew!!! Crisis averted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.