Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CrankyFlier: Blaming United's problems on Continental (and v.v.) is the problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CrankyFlier: Blaming United's problems on Continental (and v.v.) is the problem

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kettle1
How about the crossover FA the other day that was crying because 3 CO FA's were yelling at her and only stopped when a passenger was watching. That passenger than bought a Starbucks for the crying FA. That doesn't sound so friendly to me.
So what flight was this that had a crew mixture?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Were supposed to have a joint contract by July next year so hopefully all this bickering and pointing fingers will end. I actually look forward to working with FAs from the sUA side and having the chance to work a 747 and 763.
Too bad sCO management is retiring most of the 763 fleet.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rch4u
Eh, I wouldn't say it's the sCO management, it's the entire company that hates mainline aircraft. Why have 757/767's when you can have a few 777/787's, a few 737's, and just throw a RJ at the rest?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Boy, there is a lot of anger passion still out there about what happened is happening with UNITED. I wonder if all the parties will need a truth and reconciliation commission.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:24 pm

I meant the 2 cabin 763s
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by spin88
Key point. The sUA side was very happy, wanted things to work out, yet what did they quickly see from the new "CO Management"

(1) no joint contracts, efforts to force the sCO contracts on them, out-sourcing combined with efforts to shift the flying to sCO, then to outsource where ever he can.
(2) cuts in product quality that passengers took out on them (coffee is a good e.g)
(3) cuts to their discretion and ability to fix problems (SHARES and new more restrictive "just say no" policies
(4) bad operational results and bad financial results to match them.

Any good will rapidly went away. The sCO side rapidly followed in hating Jeff, no one wants to follow a guy like him.

This point gets missed. United was good to its elites, otherwise it was not a great airline in the 2000s, and did nothing new after PS/E+ were added. It stagnated. However, in 2010-11 things were on an upswing. Meanwhile many of the things we don't like about the merged carrier (cuts in soft product, TODs) had started to spread at CO. The CO of 2010 was not the CO of 2001-6, it was worse.

Employees want to do a good job. When tools are taking away from them, and passengers justifiable take it out on them, they stop carrying about their jobs. That is what has happened in spades at UAL. Sad, but your post is oh so true....
Right on. And the UA crews that are upset tell me that they WERE happier under the old UA--and they say that the treatment of elites upsets them. pmUA was a better airline (at least for elites). There is no evidence that the merged airline is better for non-elites. It is markedly inferior for elites. Yes, there is a cultural issue--but Crappy has it wrong.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:21 pm

1 airplane is scheduled to be returned to a lessor.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Who knows -- if they get rid of the current management, new management could have different ideas and halt some of the retirements. There's only one way to expand, and retaining existing frames is the fastest way to do it.

DL seems to be doing just fine with 752s and 763s -- the very same planes that CO is retiring.

DL also has better ON TIME than UA, despite its older fleet (much as PMUA had better ON TIME than CO did despite its older fleet).
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by channa
Of course that's what they tell a CO person.

What are they supposed to say? They work us like dogs, but I need the paycheck? That's not going to be received well. Though that's what this one told me.
More than one has told me the same. Some even miss Glenn Tilton.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
I thinks the article was well written and fairly spreads the blame all around - except that it makes no mention of the airline's de facto dismissal of its best customers..

The trouble is, we all know what went wrong. We all know the bad decisions management made.

However, four years into the new airline, we still do not have a management with a mission and a vision - expect to cut its way to profitability - if that is even possible.

Let's hope that the board will soon find a management team with a vision and the ability to please investors and customers.

SOON!
A couple of points from the article:

The executive team is too busy putting together reasons why the airline is underperforming for Wall Street instead of building a culture.
On the cost side, United brought in both McKinsey and BCG, two expensive consulting groups with mixed results (that’s being generous) in the airline industry, to create a plan. This is the kind of stuff that’s core to the business. You shouldn’t need a consultant to tell you how to run your airline.
And the point many of us have made:

If United really wants to cut its costs, the best thing it could do is to start running a better operation. After all, year-to-date, including regional partners, United has canceled more than 5 percent of its flights. That’s more than American, Delta, Southwest, or US Airways.
United lacks all focus on the customer. They are so intent on keeping their jobs they forgot they serve passengers.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
You mean the hard product is laughable? I agree. F is a joke compared to almost all other carriers. sUA Business is miles behind the competition and even coach is much worse than many other carriers. Most pax avoid sUA C like hell. Many year ago it may have been acceptable but in today's market it cannot compete.
*sigh*. Please re-read the context, look at the words "NEW", and you'll find that it's very clear that I was talking pre -merger. Today's a whole different story but some posters and the CrankyFlier dude keep stating zero innovation from UA 2007-2010. That's just flat out incorrect. In fact UA's C that everyone keeps laughing at was leading AA's slanty C rubbish for years.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA million miler
Just need to get this pet peeve off my chest. Fly UA almost exclusively as 1MM and I am struck how frequently on arrival either the gate is occupied or we need to wait on the ground crew to guide the plane to the gate.

Both scenarios typically preceded by the "I've got good news and bad news" announcement from the flight deck.
AARGH!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA AG, WN A, MR Life PL, HH DI, Avis P+, 7*
Crankyflier completely, unmitigatedly, unequvically nailed it.

Except that UA has been a mess for at least the last 30 years. I have looked at the CO-UA merger as voluntairly wanting to contract Hep C.

Your first clue was Larry Kellner, a top finance guy, looking at the books, and passing, and taking retirement when he was overruled.

Your second clue is Jeff Smisek, who I swear has aged a good 15 years in the last 3.

It's sad. I mean, I used to live in LA and will be back for good soon (serving a sentence in Vegas right now, when my house goes up another 15%, i'm out of here). I chose CO because I didn't want to fly UA.

BTW, I'm 300K from MM status, and am not sure how much aggravation I want to put up with to get it. I'm also not sure Smisek won't take it away from me by the time I get there. Right now, I'm guessing 2022 to make it.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
There are too many problems when flying UA. They simply do not care for passengers. For example, both of first legs of my recent trip had crew rest caused delays, which would definitely cause misconnections. No one at UA protected me for later connection flights at four hours before the departure times. If I did not act, I would stuck at EWR on inbound and ORD on outbound. As a 1K, I wish that I could be treated better.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
"Premier. Regional. Airline."

Funny how the phrase 'Glorified. Regional. Airline.' was verboten on this forum for much of the past two years, yet now is basically recognized as fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.