Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CrankyFlier: Blaming United's problems on Continental (and v.v.) is the problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
I thinks the article was well written and fairly spreads the blame all around - except that it makes no mention of the airline's de facto dismissal of its best customers..

The trouble is, we all know what went wrong. We all know the bad decisions management made.

However, four years into the new airline, we still do not have a management with a mission and a vision - expect to cut its way to profitability - if that is even possible.

Let's hope that the board will soon find a management team with a vision and the ability to please investors and customers.

SOON!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The old, breaking down, filthy planes? Here it is again - UA vs CO.

I was waiting to see who'd be first...

I also thought the article was spot on.
Yes, that is what INTERNAL means. Passengers cannot determine aircraft assignments. It is the management culture of not giving a damn about customers, most likely the majority being UA customers, and awaiting the day they can simply change the name back to Continental and just forget about United.

What "Cranky" missed is that Jeffy IS Continental, through and through, and his attitude toward customer loyalty is what sets the tone. So most former UA customers blame Jeff, and unfortunately that means Continental by extension.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold

The point about an IAH/EWR-fortress-defending regional airline with absolutely no experience being a global, competitive, customer-hungry airline is spot on.

To the sCO folks stating yet again "no UA innovation" - look at New International Business, New F, more Economy plus, and JFK-SFO/LAX. That stuff surprised (and impressed) me at the time and it was exciting. To ignore those key aspects of the hard product is quite laughable.

Last edited by seanp7; Jul 10, 2014 at 4:56 pm
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by CougarCreek
Any organization's tone and vision is always set at the top.
That is one of the things they get paid for.
Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner.

The right chief executive can make a significant improvement his first day on the job by verbally defining the culture of the company. The practical implications will take some time, but every employee - top to bottom - can be made to understand the vision of the company and that only they, the frontline staff, can make that vision a reality.

Some companies get that, some do not. As I type this, I am becoming more and more surprised at myself for adding to the bottom line of a company that doesn't get it.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:58 pm
RJ1

I was both a sCO and sUA customer, and back then they both were fine in my mind. The merged result is not good, at least at this point. The thing I hate the worst is the heavy reliance on regional jets to the destinations I travel to. Uneven customer service is a close second. Have shifted my flying elsewhere, except to burn my accumulated points.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
I thinks the article was well written and fairly spreads the blame all around - except that it makes no mention of the airline's de facto dismissal of its best customers..
I posted about this at the time, but I still recall immediately after 3/3, being on the phone with a pmCO agent, striking up a chat about how it is going and how things seemed difficult to get done now, and she tells me that "yeah, its been explained to us that we need to train the UA elites" because they were used to getting away with too much.

And a pmUA agent telling me that a CO manager had been placed in the call center to make sure they "enforce whatever SHARES says" even if it means not helping the customer, because the customers have to be managed. I remember one Hawaii 1K desk agent almost in tears when she had to tell me "no" to a simple request that would have been granted the week before.

No understanding that pmUA flyers were not stuck with the airline like pmCO flyers were at the fortress hubs, and no understanding that in a very large, complex network/system, that situations come up all the time that rules can't anticipate. Seems to have worked out well for them.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Like many have said, UA on the other had was almost irrelevant after 9/11. There was no innovation, investment in product, or expansion into new markets and the whole demeanor of the airline seemed stagnant and unconcerned. From what I can see, the only three things United brought into this merger were a Pacific network, international First class, and the United name. I'm still left unsure of why CO went into this merger at all.
Well that's certainly unnecessarily harsh. Legacy UAL had nearly 100 3-class widebody aircraft to the deal - no small number. They also brought with them high-revenue business flyers in numbers and spend that CO never had. And let's not forget the most enviable hubs in the industry (in the top business/governmental centers of the country).

Do I agree UAL was in a period of contraction following 9/11? Yes, absolutely, and the numbers prove it. They went through a long painful Ch.11, with management focused on making the company an attractive dance partner, so to say. Much of what Tilton did still angers me to this day. But to insinuate they sat there and did nothing is a bit much - p.s., Ted, a branding overhaul, IPTE, 787/A350 purchases can all be directly attributed to the previous regime.

And they also achieved their end goal, having all but reached a complete merger framework with US right before Smisek called out to Chicago at the 11th hour and asked to start talks again. Either way, Chicago and Tilton won - they had both US and CO asking for a transaction to take place. Without it, CO would have been squeezed to its ultimate demise. They needed UAL more than they needed them, as CrankFlyer post makes abundantly clear in his characterization of CO as having an incomplete route network.

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by cyborg
My review of the article is that Cranky got it wrong. The problem is with the Leadership that executed the merger. Bad decisions were made and no sustainable baseline was established for operations nor culture hence there was nowhere to go but down. The quality of leadership has continued a downward slide and hence the quality of operations and culture have increased angle of decent toward rock bottom.

The finger pointing and blame game is but a symptom, not the cause of this sad demise.

V/r,

-Cyborg
This!

2/3's of the employee base will always follow a great leader who has a vision and a plan AND communicates both of those to the employee's. The other 1/3 the company doesn't want to keep.

What has resulted is at best felonious and it's my personal opinion too much respect has been lost and can never be earned back before a change to save the company needs to be made.

Last edited by ibuyyoufly; Jul 10, 2014 at 5:09 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa
This.

Your post seems to ignore the fact that both airlines brought assets to the table. And they also both brought baggage.

As long as employees at any level think it's OK to talk the way you just did in that post above, we will continue to have the problem. That's the whole point of the article.
I wouldn't be too hard on Jose. After all, when the CEO publicly bashes pmUA employee, it empowers front line workers to do the same thing.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
How about the crossover FA the other day that was crying because 3 CO FA's were yelling at her and only stopped when a passenger was watching. That passenger than bought a Starbucks for the crying FA. That doesn't sound so friendly to me.
Woahhhhhh that's my story and they weren't yelling at her (just taunting and bullying her)... and they were sUA FAs that were doing the taunting and bullying.

That incident still upsets me but to be fair to Jose and UA, there are plenty of FAs out there that tell me that they don't mind crossovers too or don't tolerate the sUA/sCO infighting.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by seanp7
To the sCO folks stating yet again "no UA innovation" - look at New International Business, New F, more Economy plus, and JFK-SFO/LAX. That stuff surprised (and impressed) me at the time and it was exciting. To ignore those key aspects of the hard product is quite laughable.
You mean the hard product is laughable? I agree. F is a joke compared to almost all other carriers. sUA Business is miles behind the competition and even coach is much worse than many other carriers. Most pax avoid sUA C like hell. Many year ago it may have been acceptable but in today's market it cannot compete.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by abaheti
I posted about this at the time, but I still recall immediately after 3/3, being on the phone with a pmCO agent, striking up a chat about how it is going and how things seemed difficult to get done now, and she tells me that "yeah, its been explained to us that we need to train the UA elites" because they were used to getting away with too much...

...the customers have to be managed. I remember one Hawaii 1K desk agent almost in tears when she had to tell me "no" to a simple request that would have been granted the week before.
When management seems the customer as an adversary-cum-enemy, all that "flyer friendly" nonsense looks doubly silly.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by abaheti
And a pmUA agent telling me that a CO manager had been placed in the call center to make sure they "enforce whatever SHARES says" even if it means not helping the customer, because the customers have to be managed. I remember one Hawaii 1K desk agent almost in tears when she had to tell me "no" to a simple request that would have been granted the week before.
Well it worked. Customers are being managed all right. Managed to find their way to Delta and American.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Or as I always say you can avoid the drama and fly DL/B6/WN/US/AA/AS/HA/Any International Carrier
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I flew both pre-mreger CO (60%) and UA (40%), and was OK with both. Before the merger, UA had some pretty worn-out aircraft but great CS; CO had a little better and newer Boeing-only aircraft (making maintenance easier) but so-so CS. What I don't get is: why, even now - not next year, management cannot get the crew issues settled. If UA is ONE airline, an FA hired on 1/2/2006 is junior to one hired 1/1/2006. For the few hired on the same day, toss a coin or deduct sick days or something. IMHO, it makes no sense for "crossovers" - all the FAs work for the same company. Even as irrational as unions can be, there should be some way to get a just and acceptable combined seniority list (that is, since "seniority" rather than "ability", "quality", "dedication", "hard work", etc. is more important for aircrews). There should be no CO FAs or pmUA FAs, there should only be UA FAs. Let's put UA management and both unions in one room, lock the doors to the bathrooms, and deny food until they can agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.