Wiki Posts
Search

ViaSat Ka Band WiFi - which birds?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
ViaSat Ka Band WiFi - which birds?

So, where can the super fast ViaSat Ka Band WiFi be found? The only article I can find that mentions it with specifics lists only 3 tail numbers, but that was back in February.

Specifically, this article states "Update: As of today, United's 737-900s with tail numbers N75425, N75435 and N38451 are equipped with ViaSat WiFi."

Has anyone actually used this new high-speed WiFi? Does it work well? How can you tell which planes have it?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
still in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...a-testing.html

Data on specific aircraft can be found on the 739 page of The United Airlines Fleet Website
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RdFltErr

Has anyone actually used this new high-speed WiFi? Does it work well? How can you tell which planes have it?
I've used UA's wifi rather extensively.

I was able to slingbox (thru VPN) and watch the NHL playoffs when flying ORD-HKG a few weeks ago. The video was ok but no where near high def it also did buffer a few times. I've had similar results on the airbuses, as I think its the same system on the 747 and A3XX.

Contrast that with a 739 I flew last week, I was able to slingbox and watch my directv in high def (of course it was a dark 739) again via VPN. my seatmate was watching a movie in hd from netflix without any issues either (once again via VPN since UA blocks it).

Just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
still in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...a-testing.html

Data on specific aircraft can be found on the 739 page of The United Airlines Fleet Website
I thought it would be there, too, but I don't see it. It just specifies "WiFi", no way to tell which version?

To be clear, there are two versions of WiFi apparently flying around right now. One is the older, slower, Ku Band (used by both GoGo and Panasonic). And the newer one is Ka band. The specific question is around the ViaSat Ka Band version of WiFi, not the older Panasonic Ku band. (See http://www.nycaviation.com/2013/09/i.../#.U70kGo1dXU4 for detail).

Specifically, the ViaSat version promises 12mbps PER PASSENGER. Apparently this is in testing on United but I can't figure out which birds it's on.

I really want to fly on a plane that has 12mbps per seat! Sounds amazing...
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL GM, Hertz 5*, Marriott Plat
You'll find the ViaSat version on the United 737's currently. ViaSat is limited to the continental US from what I understand, so they're indicated as "MAINLAND" WiFi on the United Fleet site linked above.

The WiFi on the 737's is significantly better than on the Airbus fleet. It's much faster and seems to be more reliable.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by zambonisk
Quote:

Originally Posted by RdFltErr

I've used UA's wifi rather extensively.

I was able to slingbox (thru VPN) and watch the NHL playoffs when flying ORD-HKG a few weeks ago. The video was ok but no where near high def it also did buffer a few times. I've had similar results on the airbuses, as I think its the same system on the 747 and A3XX.

Contrast that with a 739 I flew last week, I was able to slingbox and watch my directv in high def (of course it was a dark 739) again via VPN. my seatmate was watching a movie in hd from netflix without any issues either (once again via VPN since UA blocks it).

Just my 2 cents.
What does UA block? I'm on a beta wifi 739 tomorrow and was planning on using my iPad to watch streaming movies on Netflix.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flash1129
You'll find the ViaSat version on the United 737's currently. ViaSat is limited to the continental US from what I understand, so they're indicated as "MAINLAND" WiFi on the United Fleet site linked above.
Thank you so much - that was the info I needed. Didn't realize that's what it meant!

Muchos gracias.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by enviroian
What does UA block? I'm on a beta wifi 739 tomorrow and was planning on using my iPad to watch streaming movies on Netflix.
Netflix is most definitely blocked. I would not expect Netflix to be usable without a VPN.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
Wifi FAQs

Do you allow Virtual Private Network (VPN) connections?
Yes, you can access your corporate network if you have access to a VPN client and a firewall. However, we cannot guarantee that the VPN will not be dropped if there are brief, intermittent losses in connectivity. As with any wireless communication, VPNs are not inherently secure. Therefore, United recommends that you take appropriate measures to ensure the security of your wireless connections.

Do you block any ports that I may use (SMTP, telnet, RDP, Peer-to-Peer)?
We may block Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), but all other ports remain open.

Why can't I use Netflix or other streaming video websites?
Live video and Internet streaming services are not supported. Streaming video from a website requires extensive bandwidth and will not work as well on a plane as it does on the ground
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
On a 320 SEA-ORD last Thursday I measured download speeds of over 10 mbps. Upload was considerably slower (<1 mbps). Connection was solid the entire flight.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Currently on a flight from EWR to LAX on a full 737-900 and wifi is quite speedy, as long as you're downloading not uploading...

Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:15 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Which is an outright lie, as streaming works fine on JetBlue.

They are looking to protect DirecTV revenues.

Last edited by glx; Jul 9, 2014 at 1:59 pm
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by glx
Which is an outright lie, as streaming works fine on JetBlue.

They are looking to protect DirecTV LiveTV/JetBlue revenues.
There, fixed it for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.