Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are Expired/Undated UA/CO Beverage Vouchers Still Accepted on Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines complimentary drink tickets (and this includes drink tickets with past expiration dates [which also includes both PMUA and PMCO drink tickets]) are to be accepted by F/A's on United mainline flights.

United Express may or may not have the same policy.

Some have reported having expired drink tickets rejected on United mainline flights, but these appear to be exceptions and the tickets are sometimes accepted by other FAs on the same flight or on future flights.

Some reports of success with Continental Currency -- pmCO FA's seem more familiar with them.

Older thread -- Old drink coupons still good? {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Are Expired/Undated UA/CO Beverage Vouchers Still Accepted on Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MMF, QF Gold
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Good to know that they are still taken. I have them from 2005/2006. I will be giving a couple to a friend to use over Thanksgiving. I even have Red Carpet Club vouchers, but I hear those are not taken anymore...
Red carpet club are unusable but the flight vouchers are
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
First time in years FA told me my drink coupon was expired. I hesitated a bit to go get an unexpired on but then he gave my spouse the bottle of wine she had asked for.
cesco.g and N104UA like this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 1:37 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by drewguy
First time in years FA told me my drink coupon was expired. I hesitated a bit to go get an unexpired on but then he gave my spouse the bottle of wine she had asked for.
wow I must have 25 of them left and I wonder if any are still valid. Did they scan the chit or just look at it? Glad to hear they were lenient and still give your wife a drink…
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Yeah - I have a bunch of 2020 expiry. He looked, said “we haven’t accepted these in a while” and then stuffed in cart. These look pretty similar to 2022 expiry except the beverage pics are stylized. Could have been one-off enforcement. I’ll see what happens on return.
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by chavala
I still have some old Continental ones. I plan to save them for 2021
I have some of these too. Is UA still accepting them? They have a 2012 expiration date.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by philemer
I have some of these too. Is UA still accepting them? They have a 2012 expiration date.
Yup! Used some last week January 2020 expiry ones too!! No push back at all.. FA said we’re doing contactless payment, I said these are contactless😀 no issues at all!
SPN Lifer and philemer like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I had a bizarre exchange tonight with a mainline UA FA on IAH-CVG. I tried to use a drink chit, and she was like no, no we aren't taking those. Because c0v1d its contactless only if you have a saved payment method, she said. To which I gently said, well, it has a barcode on it nobody has to touch it. She said well we don't have anywhere to put it. In my head I'm like, you holding your service iPhone while you're talking to me, which is how you redeemed these things in the before days. I said an FA on my last flight accepted it (half truth, she saw it and told me to put it away and gave me the drink gratis) and she snipped back "well they shouldn't have."

So I drank a Diet Coke and ate my to go wrap from the UC.
MatthewLAX and nexus7556 like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I had a bizarre exchange tonight with a mainline UA FA on IAH-CVG. I tried to use a drink chit, and she was like no, no we aren't taking those. Because c0v1d its contactless only if you have a saved payment method, she said. To which I gently said, well, it has a barcode on it nobody has to touch it. She said well we don't have anywhere to put it. In my head I'm like, you holding your service iPhone while you're talking to me, which is how you redeemed these things in the before days. I said an FA on my last flight accepted it (half truth, she saw it and told me to put it away and gave me the drink gratis) and she snipped back "well they shouldn't have."

So then how are the FAs going to handle the PayPal payments? Not placing phones face to face?

David
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
So then how are the FAs going to handle the PayPal payments? Not placing phones face to face?
There's always a class of FAs that will come up with any excuse to not do what they're employed to do.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 3:43 am

If I was ever denied by an FA, I would simply and politely ask to “speak with the Purser please”
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck

I had a few that are supposed to expire next year. On one of my first flights in 15 or so months, back in June or so, the FA said they were only taking contactless, but comped me a drink anyway without taking the coupon. I think the next FA said no. I contacted UA by phone, and was routed to a support person who looked into it and told me there was apparently some confusion, and some folks within UA assumed they were still being accepted but the folks who set up the contactless payment system didn’t account for it, but that apparently a number of others had called in with similar issues. He recommended I contact UA by email with photos of the drink coupons and see what they could do.

A couple weeks later, I got a responses saying they are no longer being accepted.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:26 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
United knows that scanning a barcode/QR code is contactless, right? <eye roll>.

My guess is that the 'good' FA's will just comp it from time to time and not key it into the system.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
...A couple weeks later, I got a responses saying they are no longer being accepted.
They are still available as a reward to purchase on United PerksPlus (for business). Pretty crazy if they are no longer being accepted. I think the various parts of United haven't thought this through

Twenty (20) United Beverage Vouchers Each coupon is valid for a premium beverage onboard United or United Express. UPPCNCY2.
Xyzzy and Flying Machine like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Any update on whether they are being accepted? I have old no expiration ones still and then a set expiring 1/31/2022. Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Originally Posted by chrisny2
They are still available as a reward to purchase on United PerksPlus (for business). Pretty crazy if they are no longer being accepted. I think the various parts of United haven't thought this through
Haha yes, I just ordered these coupons as a redemption for our Perks Plus points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.