Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gold to Platinum: Is there an advantage for BKK based?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Turkish E+, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus

I've had Gold for awhile, and am at 50,000 for the year now. I think I'll likely get to Platinum over the next few months.

I'm wondering if there are really any tangible benefits for doing this, however.

I'm based in Bangkok, which UA doesn't fly to anymore. Everything is ANA, and with Gold, there are no bumps to premium economy (a different product for them than E+).

For the T-PAC leg from NRT to the US, E+ is available. I'm generally flying to NY or LA, so there are no domestic legs to be upgraded on.

I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to continue after Gold to Platinum on UA, or if anyone recommends switching in order to try to build status with an American carrier (or other) that actually flies to BKK. The catch would be that it would be a far shot to get to Gold equivalent on another carrier this year as I think I'll only be logging 25-40k miles more this year.

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Maybe this is a silly question: You say in BKK everything is now ANA. Errm, what about... THAI?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rostovru
I'm wondering if there are really any tangible benefits for doing this, however.
Key perks are — (1) slightly higher mileage bonus for travel on UA; (2) waived fees for phone reservations and award bookings.

If you talk to UA on the phone a lot, or if you make last-minute award bookings or last-minute changes to award bookings, the fee waivers as a Platinum member will make a big difference.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Turkish E+, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
Maybe this is a silly question: You say in BKK everything is now ANA. Errm, what about... THAI?
Thai is never priced in with UA flights to the States. ANA is the codeshare that UA lists.

Thai economy is also a bad product in comparison to ANA imo.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Key perks are — (1) slightly higher mileage bonus for travel on UA; (2) waived fees for phone reservations and award bookings.

If you talk to UA on the phone a lot, or if you make last-minute award bookings or last-minute changes to award bookings, the fee waivers as a Platinum member will make a big difference.
Good info.

Doesn't help me as a benefit, so good to know.

With 1k, do you get upgrades on international legs?

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 6, 2014 at 11:41 pm
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:34 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
With 1k, do you get upgrades on international legs?
Complimentary - no
1Ks get 6 Global Premier Upgrade {GPU} certs -- good for space available upgrades from economy to business in international flights like TAPC/TATL. requires W or higher economy fare.

Upgrades overview

Global Premier Upgrades
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Complimentary - no
1Ks get 6 Global Premier Upgrade {GPU} certs -- good for space available upgrades from economy to business in international flights like TAPC/TATL. requires W or higher economy fare.

Upgrades overview

Global Premier Upgrades
In this specific situation it's probably worth noting that GPUs are only useful on UA and LH operated flights.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
Originally Posted by GBadger
In this specific situation it's probably worth noting that GPUs are only useful on UA and LH operated flights.
Well I had Tokyo to NYC which was a 14 hours flight and business class would upgrade the experience.

Beside that as a Platinum member you will receive a 4 vouchers (RPU) for within the US or US to Central America - check the location to be sure.
Some people would switch with you 2 RPU for a GPU or a different rate, so you could enjoy that benefit even if you travel only 75K PQM this year.

beside what was already said by mherdeg, I think you get better availability on award travel redemption not sure if that is just what UA say or if they have an extra seat for Platinum and up.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cacohenassaf
... Beside that as a Platinum member you will receive a 4 vouchers (RPU) for within the US or US to Central America - check the location to be sure. ...
Plat get just 2 RPUs upon (re-)quaifying for Plat.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think you get better availability on award travel redemption not sure if that is just what UA say or if they have an extra seat for Platinum and up.
The advertised benefit is enhanced business saver award availability, and it is 99.9% marketing hype. Very few instances in which there are additional business saver award seats available to Plat and higher.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Plat get just 2 RPUs upon (re-)quaifying for Plat.
What? So getting 75k on the following year will get me only 2 RPU? I thought it was every 25 K that will get you the 2 RPU and 4 RPU when you hit 75k. Is it the same for GPU and reaching 100K?

Originally Posted by Kacee
The advertised benefit is enhanced business saver award availability, and it is 99.9% marketing hype. Very few instances in which there are additional business saver award seats available to Plat and higher.
Yes, that's what I thought. But still when I reached 1k they where more nicer over the phone, I would give them that.
For platinum when you want to book a flight that is not on UA site calling the reservation center could help you with finding the right one and with waved fee that's a bonus.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:55 am

What? So getting 75k on the following year will get me only 2 RPU? ...
correct

....I thought it was every 25 K that will get you the 2 RPU ...
yes every 25K after 75K EQMs (and if not waived $7.5K PQD) . Since you begin the next year at 0, you first have to get 75K before the 25K rule takes effect.

.... Is it the same for GPU and reaching 100K? ...
6 GPUs for 100K (and if not waived $10K PQD) and then 2 GPUs for each 50K after 100K.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
I've had Gold for awhile, and am at 50,000 for the year now.
I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to continue after Gold to Platinum on UA, or if anyone recommends switching in order to try to build status with an American carrier (or other) that actually flies to BKK. The catch would be that it would be a far shot to get to Gold equivalent on another carrier this year as I think I'll only be logging 25-40k miles more this year.

Any thoughts?
Given you are in BKK and you look for US travel with a US airline as well......I would go DL.

Good product both soft and hard with a BKK flight on all DL metal to where you seem to fly.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I find that the most useful benefit of Platinum over Gold for me is the fact that if you buy ticket on miles it is 100% refundable without having to pay to have miles re-deposited.

Being single, this most benefits me when I want to take a date somewhere and plans change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.