NZ 787 at DEN...

Old Jul 5, 14, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
NZ 787 at DEN...

Not totally UA related, but there is a ANZ 787 at the Denver UA gates (B32) at the moment. Not sure what it's doing here, and also don't know why they didn't go to A where international arrivals are handled.

For anyone at DIA right now, its a sight to behold!
Old Jul 5, 14, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
According to notes at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...new-route.html it's done a couple of quick turns from PAE-DEN :

http://flightaware.com/live/findflight/KPAE/KDEN/

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...930Z/KPAE/KDEN
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...230Z/KPAE/KDEN

I assume these are just test flights before NZ takes delivery in AKL.
Old Jul 5, 14, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Interesting. It's a beautiful bird in the new black ANZ livery. I'm working on photos...
Old Jul 5, 14, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AAdvantage Plat, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
This may be the first 787-9 that NZ took delivery of on Monday. Maybe they are flying them around the US a bit to train crews. I believe it's scheduled to depart for NZ next week.
Old Jul 5, 14, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Photo below:
http://i61.tinypic.com/bjbzfk.jpg

Strange -- image showed up fine for me, but I guess it was giving others problems (?). Anyway, just follow the link above!

Last edited by GBadger; Jul 6, 14 at 4:45 am Reason: image upside down and also too large to be displayed
Old Jul 5, 14, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

I think AKL-DEN would be a great route . That way the ski bums can stay in perpetual winter and the triathletes can stay in perpetual summer .
Old Jul 5, 14, 8:49 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler View Post
This may be the first 787-9 that NZ took delivery of on Monday. Maybe they are flying them around the US a bit to train crews. I believe it's scheduled to depart for NZ next week.
Yup, doing its certification test runs
Old Jul 5, 14, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
Originally Posted by GBadger View Post
I think AKL-DEN would be a great route . That way the ski bums can stay in perpetual winter and the triathletes can stay in perpetual summer .
Maybe DENAKL becomes a replacement for the UA IAHAKL service that never materialized. I, for one, would become a very loyal NZ customer for my ANZ trips if that happened.

But more likely, this is training for the NZ crews with some hot-and-high experience that they won't get elsewhere. (Please keep your CO jokes to a minimum.)
Old Jul 5, 14, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
In the interest of keeping this thread of topic for the United forums...

The fact this bird is in the air is great for United, who is due to be the second airline to fly the 787-9, starting LAX-IAH on September 20, before moving to LAX-MEL in October.
Old Jul 5, 14, 11:23 pm

Here is another angle to see how much longer it is.

To me the coolest thing about seeing it out there was seeing the excitement from all the airline workers. People coming over from Frontier, Southwest, etc. Pilots, CS agents, FAs, rampers, etc all taking pictures and acting like little kids in a toy store. People who work on and around planes every single day, some for the past 30+ years, and still getting completely geeked over seeing a new plane. To me that's just awesome!
Old Jul 6, 14, 1:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz President's Circle, National EXC, Hyatt GLB, UA/HHonors/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
OMG! PLEASE PLEASE add AKL-DEN service! I think this would be awesome for both Air New Zealand, and Denver, and exactly the type of route the 787 was designed for. There is already a large contingent of Australia/NZ skier traffic to Colorado in the winter, and this service would only help to solidify that. It would also, of course, help the reverse to be true. I so hope that this is not a tease!
Old Jul 6, 14, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DENviaLAX View Post
Here is another angle to see how much longer it is.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2hgzt3q.jpg

To me the coolest thing about seeing it out there was seeing the excitement from all the airline workers. People coming over from Frontier, Southwest, etc. Pilots, CS agents, FAs, rampers, etc all taking pictures and acting like little kids in a toy store. People who work on and around planes every single day, some for the past 30+ years, and still getting completely geeked over seeing a new plane. To me that's just awesome!
Yeah -- some things is overheard from UA employees (of which there were many oogling the aircraft):
"Wow -- theirs looks so much cooler than ours..."
"That one looks a lot bigger than ours does"
"We think we're so innovative, but in reality we're light years behind" (not clear as to whether this had to do with the 789 or something else ANZ does)

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 6, 14 at 3:46 am Reason: image removal
Old Jul 6, 14, 4:32 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Nice paint job on this bird!
Old Jul 6, 14, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger View Post
Photo below:
http://i61.tinypic.com/bjbzfk.jpg

Strange -- image showed up fine for me, but I guess it was giving others problems (?). Anyway, just follow the link above!
I'm also seeing it upside-down
Old Jul 6, 14, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
beautiful livery on that airplane. looking forward to hopefully flying one of these from NRT-AKL next year! ^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: