Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are The United 777s Getting Too Old?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Just to note, since UAL instituted UDU, domestic first class (sans p.s.) has been effectively taken away entirely from employees.

You're kidding, right? My flight ICT-DEN had three UA pilots occupying FC seats (out of 16) Monday. While I have practically eliminated flying UA, whenever I do there are UA employees in First.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by KansasMike
You're kidding, right? My flight ICT-DEN had three UA pilots occupying FC seats (out of 16) Monday. While I have practically eliminated flying UA, whenever I do there are UA employees in First.
They could be on positive space tickets, which are effectively paid F tickets bought by their employer, who happens to also be the same entity that operates the flight. No different than any business traveler who's company pays for F.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by KansasMike
There are contractual provisions requiring pilots to be booked positive space in F under certain conditions, but employee NRSA travel in domestic premium cabins is extraordinarily rare these days.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by EWR764
Not quite. The two most recent CO 777s date from 2010, two others came in 2007, and the rest are 1998-2002. UA took 777s on a relatively consistent basis from 1995-2002. About 1/3 the fleet was delivered post-2000.
So 1/3rd of the fleet is less than 14 years old (and not much less it looks like)? That's a pretty old fleet. Come to think if of, it's consistent with staffing compared to the Asian carriers (which have a "young fleet" in both senses of the word).
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Just to note, since UAL instituted UDU, domestic first class (sans p.s.) has been effectively taken away entirely from employees.
+1. This is true, friends who are UA employees say they've gotten exactly on in the past year. With the removal of intl F they are expecting a lot less premium class international travel, too.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Fair enough, but the other half of my comment was related to UDU, which still isn't selling f for much additional revenue. Compare that to intl flights, where the premium cabin sells.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
On a recent flight, I was seated in F next to a very bright young boy who volunteered that his grandfather was a UA mechanic, and how they were flying for free, etc. Across the aisle, was his sister.

Small sample, I know, but there is still some employee/dependent travel in domestic F.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 6, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
UA's 747s or 747s in general?
UA.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:18 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boghopper
So 1/3rd of the fleet is less than 14 years old (and not much less it looks like)? That's a pretty old fleet. Come to think if of, it's consistent with staffing compared to the Asian carriers (which have a "young fleet" in both senses of the word).
No the entire fleet is 12+ and older. Look closer at the 2010 planes. They were pmCO from 1999 transferred to the new United. The newest seems to be 2002.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMCO
No the entire fleet is 12+ and older. Look closer at the 2010 planes. They were pmCO from 1999 transferred to the new United. The newest seems to be 2002.
Correct the last CO 777 was delivered in 2010, the last UA 777 was delivered in 2002.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Boghopper
It's really only Singapore and the ME3 who have such aggressive fleet
replacement schedules, owing in part to accelerated depreciation and more extensive use of widebody equipment on short hauls. Most other major carriers are comparable to United in terms of average longhaul fleet age, and (depending on usage) 10-20 years is firmly within the 'prime' of an aircraft's design life.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
what comfort? the seats in economy are narrower than the seats on a 3-3-3 777. The overhead bins on a 777/787 are bigger and the cabin looks more spacious.

Nevermind the lack of AVOD/IFE and powerports on the UA 747.
Bins on a sUA747 are way bigger then on a sUA777
Can't comment on the sCO777 or 787 as I have still yet to fly one

Lack of lav's on the 777 kill it for me, on the 747 I never spend more then 5min waiting for a lav
on a recent 777 SYD->SFO flight I got in line as number 10 and got to wait about 30min
The next time I had to go... it was only #3 and only had to wait 10min
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Bins on a sUA747 are way bigger then on a sUA777
Can't comment on the sCO777 or 787 as I have still yet to fly one

Lack of lav's on the 777 kill it for me, on the 747 I never spend more then 5min waiting for a lav
on a recent 777 SYD->SFO flight I got in line as number 10 and got to wait about 30min
The next time I had to go... it was only #3 and only had to wait 10min
It does make you think about the Einstein that came up with the "let's cut it down to 2 toilets".
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth
On a recent flight, I was seated in F next to a very bright young boy who volunteered that his grandfather was a UA mechanic, and how they were flying for free, etc. Across the aisle, was his sister.

Small sample, I know, but there is still some employee/dependent travel in domestic F.
Only possible on flights where all UDU eligible elites are cleared for F - i.e., very rarely. Compare that to pre-UDU, when domestic NSRA F travel was extremely common. UDU, for all intents and purposes, relegated NRSA premium cabin travel to international routes only. It was a big blow to NRSA flight benefit privileges.

p.s. is essentially the only holdout wherein NRSA have an actual shot at sitting up front domestically.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Only possible on flights where all UDU eligible elites are cleared for F - i.e., very rarely. Compare that to pre-UDU, when domestic NSRA F travel was extremely common. UDU, for all intents and purposes, relegated NRSA premium cabin travel to international routes only. It was a big blow to NRSA flight benefit privileges.

p.s. is essentially the only holdout wherein NRSA have an actual shot at sitting up front domestically.
Well, I didn't know that UDU had affected the employees so significantly.
It is certainly not good for employee morale to diminish privileges like that, especially in light of the increased work load and other decreased benefits.

I, for one, always liked the old 500 mile upgrade certificates. It was a much fairer system for upgrading, and obviously things were better for the employees under that system. Don't get me wrong, UDU has been very good to me---I have a very high (around 90%) UG rate in 2014. However, the 500 mile cert. system was more predictable, and allowed elites to buy-up to F for a reasonable price, without the TOD aggravation, where kettles get cheap buy-ups at everyone's expense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.