Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auf Wiedersehen STR (Stuttgart).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Auf Wiedersehen STR (Stuttgart).

Citing underperforming profits the flight is being discontinued September 20th. Such a shame I enjoy working that flight and the layover is nice too.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
That's a bummer though not surprising if it's underperforming since presumably UA can still profit via the JV and just feed connecting traffic via FRA / MUC on UA/LH
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
That's too bad. I really like UA second-city flights — service to places like SNN and HAM gives you a bunch of great options.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Shouldn't this be "au revoir"?

A number of wars have been fought over this exact issue
Stuttgart? I don't think so...

Given all the MB traffic, its interesting they can't fill a 757 once a day.

But we all know that United will be able to compete with sub-par product and service because, well it has such a great network!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:54 pm

as long as they don't cut the Berlin flight I am fine
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
It will be interesting to see what they do with the 'extra' plane starting Sept 20th.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Madone59
It will be interesting to see what they do with the 'extra' plane starting Sept 20th.
17th EWR-LAX/SFO daily?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
Obviously I have never flown to Stuttgart. Which really ought to be coded as STT or STG
Then what should St. Thomas and St. George be?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Too bad...it was always full when I flew it, but apparently that does not mean much if UA isn't pricing the seats correctly.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
This winter is not shaping up to be very good to the airline business. Demand appears to be weakening, fuel prices are back in the rise and the geopolitical climate is becoming more unsettled.

I expect additional route pruning. UA wasn't in expansion mode for this latest upswing, and they certainly won't be starting now as the pendulum begins to go the other way. Aggressive 763ER retirements are the next, easiest target.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
This winter is not shaping up to be very good to the airline business. Demand appears to be weakening, fuel prices are back in the rise and the geopolitical climate is becoming more unsettled.

I expect additional route pruning. UA wasn't in expansion mode for this latest upswing, and they certainly won't be starting now as the pendulum begins to go the other way. Aggressive 763ER retirements are the next, easiest target.
I think it is not shaping up so good for United, which is losing high value frequent fliers, and chose to hack away at its domestic network (more RJs, crappy F product with downgrades, TODs) and Mileage program at the time when domestic lift was providing the best yield improvements for a focus on putting capacity overseas.

Delta and AAL are doing well (ok, very well), but they are gaining passengers from United which compensate for any losses they may have to Chinese and ME carriers.

p.s. I also expect 763ER retirements. A smart management team would use the 763ERs for hub-to-hub lift (they are paid for, don't need the number of turns, go for reliablity), and then use the A319/A320s running side by side between hubs to upgage routes with RJs, but this is not a smart management team.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by spin88
I think it is not shaping up so good for United, which is losing high value frequent fliers, and chose to hack away at its domestic network (more RJs, crappy F product with downgrades, TODs) and Mileage program at the time when domestic lift was providing the best yield improvements for a focus on putting capacity overseas.

Delta and AAL are doing well (ok, very well), but they are gaining passengers from United which compensate for any losses they may have to Chinese and ME carriers.
As recently as this week Delta came out with a comparatively disappointing traffic result, and Lufthansa is projecting softening international demand. United is not unique in its exposure to these to the exogenous factors facing the entire industry (to say nothing of its self-inflicted internal problems).

p.s. I also expect 763ER retirements. A smart management team would use the 763ERs for hub-to-hub lift (they are paid for, don't need the number of turns, go for reliablity), and then use the A319/A320s running side by side between hubs to upgage routes with RJs, but this is not a smart management team.
The 3 cabin 763ERs are older, low capacity, long range airplanes. As a result, they are suboptimal for high-volume hub-hub routes and putting additional cycles on those airframes only serves to age them faster. In the alternative, intermediate to long haul routes with perhaps 1-2 legs per day to markets with strong premium demand is a much wiser deployment of the assets.

Running those airplanes on short hauls between hubs will increase wear and likely reduce reliability. I don't think there's any evidence that this is a "smart" management strategy. Stick to the financial analysis ...
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:43 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by EWR764
As recently as this week Delta came out with a comparatively disappointing traffic result, and Lufthansa is projecting softening international demand. United is not unique in its exposure to these to the exogenous factors facing the entire industry (to say nothing of its self-inflicted internal problems).
DL is still in the green and they are holding their year-end projections. 4.5% increase in PRASM with some increase in capacity [as long as capacity % is below PRASM %] while keeping CASM below 1% is impressive.

UA shrinks and their PRASM has been flat when it should go up [less capacity, weed out low fare and increase PRASM with higher % of higher fare passengers is their mo] so that is not good.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
DL is still in the green and they are holding their year-end projections. 4.5% increase in PRASM with some increase in capacity [as long as capacity % is below PRASM %] while keeping CASM below 1% is impressive.

UA shrinks and their PRASM has been flat when it should go up [less capacity, weed out low fare and increase PRASM with higher % of higher fare passengers is their mo] so that is not good.
My bolding above. I thought the strategy was to weed out high fare.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:37 am

I guess STR is a victim to missing feeder traffic from LH? As LH (Europe) only flies to/from their hubs (FRA/MUC) anymore, other feeders (also for fellow *A) have been cut off or moved to 4U (Germanwings) which no one sane would book (due to heavy incompatibilities)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.