Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GPU success chances on new intn'l routes (SCL)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)

I'm thinking of flying IAH-SCL-IAH around Dec 11-18. This would be about a week after the route opens (Dec 7) and a bit more than a week before Christmas.

My guess is that odds of clearing a GPU are better than usual when a route is very new. Does anyone have relevant experience?

I also worry somewhat about the Christmas holiday, though my flights are likely to be at least a week before the 25th, so I assume it shouldn't be too bad.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I wouldn't be super optimistic. With the difficulty of getting anything on IAH-EZE-IAH, I suspect people may just flock to the SCL flights with just this intention.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
The one thing UA has been doing well lately - for better or worse for us 1Ks - is revenue management on their premium cabin sales. UA knows that business class purchases of the highest fares (i.e., J, C) may be minimal during the holidays on weekday flights. For that reason, they are likely going to keep the cheap-ish Z and P buckets open on this route even as seats start to fill up.

LatAm flights are 100% full during the holidays and as the cheap coach seats start to fill up people will start to debate between buying YBM fares or P fares as the price delta between business and coach closes.

I am sure you will clear SCL-IAH, but be careful flying Fri-Sun in either directions unless you can pre-confirm R space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.