Wiki Posts
Search

UA West Coast to BKK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
UA West Coast to BKK

UA has forced me out of SEA because they have given all the business to ANA.

I hate ANA 787 B/C seat so I am forced to look at using SFO if I want to get maximum bonuses etc.

Two Questions:

1. What is the best B/C seat on UA 747's and why.

2. How is SFO as a Customs arrival Airport because I always found SEA fabulous.

Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kapkap46
.... 1. What is the best B/C seat on UA 747's and why. ....
Upper Deck
see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...747-400-a.html

.... 2. How is SFO as a Customs arrival Airport because I always found SEA fabulous. ....
Never done SEA CBP but SFO is better than some I have been thru -- it is all about timing and having GE.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium

2. How is SFO as a Customs arrival Airport because I always found SEA fabulous.
I've also never cleared in SEA but would agree with WineCountryUA that clearing in SFO is better than most.

It's pretty easy to find your way back up to the terminal after coming out of immigration unlike LAX.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:30 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I always pick 17J upper deck and enjoy the flying backwards experience, some prefer slightly back a few rows. 17J is close to the galley and at the opposite end from the lavs, usually get asked first regarding meal, and close to the stairway for getting off and certainly a lot less passengers than in BF downstairs. With GE SFO customs and immigration is a breeze and if your connecting to another UA flight a very short walk to security.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
14A/K are the best BF seats on the 744 (unless you're tall, in which case the UD seats may be tight). The best way to get to BKK is on another airline.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Concur re 747 Upper Deck. Better than C in the main cabin or on a 777.

As for CBP, have returned to US at SFO & SEA (once at LAX, ugh). Only "problem" at SFO could be mid-morning multiple TPAC arrivals, so lines/waits might be longer than at SEA. Otherwise pretty much the same experience. One time at SFO inbound plane was late, but pax w/ tight connections were flagged for expedited clearance. Actually cleared CBP, then TSA to domestic & bus to Terminal 1 in 45 minutes for a UX flight to SEA. Thankfully, those days are over now that UX at SFO is in Terminal 3 (although there can be a lot of walking via the air-side connector & to whatever is the Terminal 3 gate).
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
One positive of SFO is there's an arrivals lounge with showers for BF and GF pax.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
One positive of SFO is there's an arrivals lounge with showers for BF and GF pax.
Dang, never knew about this. I never looked into this since I just want to get out and go home but do want to check this out. Where is it located?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Dang, never knew about this. I never looked into this since I just want to get out and go home but do want to check this out. Where is it located?
Ground floor of T3 just before baggage claim. About 5 mins from where you exit international arrivals.

Last time I flew in from NRT, I showered, shaved, and took BART straight into the office.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:17 pm

Ground floor of T3 just before baggage claim. About 5 mins from where you exit international arrivals.

Last time I flew in from NRT, I showered, shaved, and took BART straight into the office.
Thanks. Will have to check this out next time.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
14A/K are the best BF seats on the 744
Very personal preference. I'd take any rear-facing aisle seat over eiher of these.

The best way to get to BKK is on another airline.
Isn't that "only way" now?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
UA and ANA have a TPAC joint venture, right? So UA is giving up exactly zero business to ANA...
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Very personal preference. I'd take any rear-facing aisle seat over eiher of these.
I used to prefer the rear facing (specifically row 15), then I flew 14A. I think it is objectively the best seat in the cabin. Has more space on the side than any other and it's the easiest seat to escape out the back.

I guess I would encourage pax to try both row 14 and 15. But I would now pick 14A ten times out of ten.

Isn't that "only way" now?
Yeah I meant all the way. As in, not just NRT-BKK, but for the TPAC as well. But you're right of course - can't be done now without flying another airline.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
I guess I'll ask the obvious question... You live in SEA and are buying Business class tickets... Why add an extra stopover in SFO just to keep flying UA? At that point why not fly EVA's SEA-TPE-BKK route then? Or Asiana SEA-ICN-BKK? Their Business class service isn't miles above UA like SQ but it sure isn't worse.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I used to prefer the rear facing (specifically row 15), then I flew 14A. I think it is objectively the best seat in the cabin.
The fact that many people disagree, and your own use of the phrase "I think", mean it's far from objective and more like 100% subjective.

I guess I would encourage pax to try both row 14 and 15.
All rows, not just 14 and 15, have their advantages and disadvantages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.