How many more cities will UA leave?

Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
How many more cities will UA leave?

First you pull out of BKK and now I see you have pulled out of SEA.

So if I don't want to fly ANA and their 787 SEA-NRT where I hate the B/C seat,

I am forced to fly out of SFO.

Why don't you pull out of Asia completely, and let a decent airline have your business?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kapkap46
... now I see you have pulled out of SEA.
Just for the record, UA has not pulled out of SEA (yet), it has reduced some service and routes and your travel has been effected unfortunately -- BUT UA still has (reduced) operations in SEA.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:33 pm

actually..

. they've expanded in Asia overall, but just not to where you are flying. They're expanding where their network needs it and shrinking where they have no interest in being (expanding in SFO, shrinking in SEA where they haven't had a large base for years). Delta did the same thing - they dropped SFO-NRT to focus on more flights from SEA. Perhaps you should fly DL if you're based in SEA - they're the quickest route to Asia now from SEA. Why would you go through SFO?

Why don't you pull out of Asia completely, and let a decent airline have your business?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:08 pm
Suspended

I highly doubt that they'd leave a major US city altogether unless they had a code share partner heavily serving that route. Seatac is the 15th busiest airport in the country, so they wouldn't just pull service out of the city.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasondc
. they've expanded in Asia overall, but just not to where you are flying. They're expanding where their network needs it and shrinking where they have no interest in being (expanding in SFO, shrinking in SEA where they haven't had a large base for years). Delta did the same thing - they dropped SFO-NRT to focus on more flights from SEA. Perhaps you should fly DL if you're based in SEA - they're the quickest route to Asia now from SEA. Why would you go through SFO?
Unfortunately every time I think I will switch all my business to DL , I use the search engine to find award seats and am always pleased with how easy it is to use my miles (currently 800,000) because of the Star Alliance which truly is a Global Alliance.

DL miles are useless the search engine is designed by 3 year olds and their Alliance is a JOKE.

SO UA will continue to hold on to at least some of my travel to BKK ( with ANA)because no one else is competitive with DL or UA on price. I would leave both of them in a heartbeat but when you are using your own money concessions have to be made.

They are my only 2 choices, spending my own money.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
It is hard for United to compete in traditional UA markets (west coast, IAD, DEn, and ORD) due to the lowered service leves since merging with Continental. Travelers in SEA now choose Alaska for better service where United had a great following for years in the PNW. United can compete in places like IAH (this may change with southwest in a few years) and EWR where there is little choice for consumers and they are used to years of substandard service. UNited is not the airline of the west coast anymore and I would expect continued cutbacks in terms of plane sizes, frequency, and routes in SEA.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

I am wondering where it is that they do compete. I am looking at SFO as my POE from Thailand and then need to find travel back and forth to home (atlanta).

UA is a joke in SFO. Their fares are 50% more then DL SFO-ATL non stop and even their worthless connections are 30% more then DL non stops.

Who is running this airline

They continue to make it very hard for me to stay.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:26 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K

UA has axed the longstanding SEA-NRT and SEA-PDX flights, not pulled out of SEA.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I am wondering where it is that they do compete. I am looking at SFO as my POE from Thailand and then need to find travel back and forth to home (atlanta).
From ATL to BKK on UA, I would look at connecting through ORD to HKG or IAH to NRT.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for suggestions but any of those drive the price way up. I start in BKK and RT B/C tickets to Seattle have been costing me less then $3500.

The minute I try to go to Atlanta on any routing the price goes over $5000

For that amount of money I'll sit in EC between ATL and West Coast at $400

I guess there are too many people using other peoples money that they can fill planes up SFO to ATL at 50% more money then DL. Never mind that DL is a superior hard product.

They would never get another penny from me except even now I think mileage plus is so far superior to my other choices that I am stuck with giving at least some of my business.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately every time I think I will switch all my business to DL , I use the search engine to find award seats and am always pleased with how easy it is to use my miles (currently 800,000) because of the Star Alliance which truly is a Global Alliance.

DL miles are useless the search engine is designed by 3 year olds and their Alliance is a JOKE.
The problem with UA cuts is that they seem to be focusing on international feeds at many cities - including sizable cities like Phoenix. Schedule is not ideal for domestic O&D or connection. For MileagePlus, that means:

1 - fewer CPUs as there are a lot more paid or GPU passengers on these feeding flights

2 - less award availability as capacity is cut

3 - you might be able to get to a *A carrier at the gateways but UA has no award availability to get you to the gateway. For example, even though LAX and SFO has tons of *A availability, PHX-LAX and PHX-SFO are pretty bad
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
It is hard for United to compete in traditional UA markets (west coast, IAD, DEn, and ORD) due to the lowered service leves since merging with Continental. Travelers in SEA now choose Alaska for better service where United had a great following for years in the PNW. United can compete in places like IAH (this may change with southwest in a few years) and EWR where there is little choice for consumers and they are used to years of substandard service. UNited is not the airline of the west coast anymore and I would expect continued cutbacks in terms of plane sizes, frequency, and routes in SEA.
This is pure fantasy. Read a few posts above - this is about focusing operations on markets where there is more money to be made. Service levels really don't factor into this, regardless of what the FT peanut gallery thinks.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:11 am

UA is a joke in SFO. Their fares are 50% more then DL SFO-ATL non stop and even their worthless connections are 30% more then DL non stops.

Who is running this airline

They continue to make it very hard for me to stay.
I think the problem is that Delta will always be the best option out of Atlanta. They have such a large number or seats and connections that the schedule will be superior and the price to international destinations should be competitive.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Wouldn't you think that DL should be charging more since they offer a better product and more frequent trips. Instead the airline that offers the worst product and the least frequent flights is charging up to 50% more.

Sorry I just don't get it.

Granted I only looked for a few different dates most 4 months in advance but either UA is filling the planes with corporate travel at extremely large discounted fares or there are a lot of stupid companies and passengers taking and paying for those flights those flights.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:35 am

Wouldn't you think that DL should be charging more since they offer a better product and more frequent trips. Instead the airline that offers the worst product and the least frequent flights is charging up to 50% more.

Sorry I just don't get it.

Granted I only looked for a few different dates most 4 months in advance but either UA is filling the planes with corporate travel at extremely large discounted fares or there are a lot of stupid companies and passengers taking and paying for those flights those flights.
United has significantly fewer seats out Atlanta than Delta and has fewer seats to sell at lower prices. Product rarely plays into economy pricing - it's all about supply and demand.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.