24% 1K CPU rate (SFO-based) typical?

Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I am 0/12 for CPU on domestic segments flying out of SFO as a 1k so far this year. I haven't cleared R-space either.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Have we proved the point there is no such thing as typical yet?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Titanium
My CPU success rate is 93%(14/15) so far this year, so I guess that is an advantage of MCO based
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
6/15, with an average CPU-able segment of only 1,000 miles

AA/US, 3/3 so far (as a mid-tier Plat)
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
I am running a rate of around 95% each week or every other week from IAH-PHL-IAH.....usually Thursday or Friday late flight from IAH and 545 am on Monday morning from PHL.

To me, CPU is just a marketing tool to fill seats when there are empty ones up front to make those who really arent entitled to it cause not paying the BF ticket, feel special and continue to fly to keep status to get more CPU's. Does not really cost the airline anything I dont think except the cost of that "awesome" meal that is provided.

So with that, if you book times in which flights are usually full up front your chances of CPU clearing are smaller.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I don't know, but what I do know is that my CPU success rate IAD-SFO before the merger was around 65-70%. It is now 0%. The only way I get upgrades on my quarterly IAD-SFO r/t is to use instruments or miles.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Absolutely! Even within my own stats, there's no such thing as typical (different fare classes, different days of the week, times, equipment types, etc.)

FWIW.......

Of my non instrument supported, CPU eligible flights that touch SFO (in or out):

CPU success: 45% (9 out of 20).....
Average segment length: 585 miles
Average CPM: 28.16c

CPU success: 47.5% (28 out of 59).....
Average segment length: 974 miles
Average CPM: 30.4c
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
It's not even close to typical for the typical 1K. For the 1K out of SFO, it does make perfect sense. But not all 1Ks live in SFO. My numbers are in my signature.
If you fly in and out of EWR, your CPU rates may be even worse. I am at 45% for the year (see sig). Better than OP, but still not near my 25/25 on AA this year.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
If you fly in and out of EWR, your CPU rates may be even worse. I am at 45% for the year (see sig). Better than OP, but still not near my 25/25 on AA this year.
Yes sir. I'm missing on leisure routes with regularity out of EWR this year. Maybe weekend mileage runners have better luck but business has been jammed out of EWR on most of my flights. Good for UA, I guess.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm not SFO based but I flew the following this week:

DEN-SFO U fare
SFO-SEA U fare
SEA-SFO U fare
SFO-DEN U fare

CPU 0/4 and all but one flight I finished no higher than #5.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by limey1K
I'm not SFO based but I flew the following this week:

DEN-SFO U fare
SFO-SEA U fare
SEA-SFO U fare
SFO-DEN U fare

CPU 0/4 and all but one flight I finished no higher than #5.
It's mostly the UA upgrade scheme, any silver on a Y (even Govt Y) fare is ahead of you, as is some GS's girlfriend travelling on miles. With these policies your upgrade rates are bound to be higher at AA. The takeaway is that UA just doesn't value high freq business travelers as much as the other legacies, we've known this for several years now.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by halls120
I don't know, but what I do know is that my CPU success rate IAD-SFO before the merger was around 65-70%. It is now 0%. The only way I get upgrades on my quarterly IAD-SFO r/t is to use instruments or miles.
My experience is the exact same as yours. The SFO-IAD redeye used to be a slam dunk. Now I'm nowhere close to clearing!

The only routes where I've gotten successful CPUs this year were short haul flights such as IAD-MCI or IAD-MSY. Since UA isn't releasing R space on international flights, I'm burning my GPUs on transcons.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
It's mostly the UA upgrade scheme, any silver on a Y (even Govt Y) fare is ahead of you, as is some GS's girlfriend travelling on miles. With these policies your upgrade rates are bound to be higher at AA. The takeaway is that UA just doesn't value high freq business travelers as much as the other legacies, we've known this for several years now.
Flying ORD-DEN today with 5 F sears open at OLCI until t-1 with me at #1. Going out full and still at #1
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Condition One
Since UA isn't releasing R space on international flights, I'm burning my GPUs on transcons.
That's a curious statement. Just today, two reports here of TATL advance GPU success for flights within the next two weeks: GPU Upgrade Success 2014. Plentiful R as well on many of the Asia routes, particularly SFO-NRT and IAH-NRT.

Originally Posted by limey1K
Flying ORD-DEN today with 5 F sears open at OLCI until t-1 with me at #1. Going out full and still at #1
Ugh. Sorry to hear about that. The upgrade gods are not being kind to you. Hope the luck turns.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
No according to DidItClear - again, presuming to speak for everyone else. My upgrades in and out of SFO are much higher - 80%+ plus because of destination/timing. You don't speak for my experience in/out of SFO.
I can't believe no one has yet pointed out that you are flying (per your own post) out of Hawaii (I assume OGG). They you attack people flying ex-SFO for generalizing? I just have to point out that OGG-SFO is an easy upgrade. Might be the easiest in the system. its flown by a UA 757 at this point (no more widebodies) and has almost no business traffic. R is routinely open, and I have never not had a CPU clear on that route.

The person with the odd travel pattern is you, and that you can't see that is mindboggling to me.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
My.Upgrades.In.And.Out.Of.SFO.Are.80+%. That is not relevant? Gee.

I think I took out everything else. What brings me down are the occasional non-CPUs between IAH and SFO. Again, routes and timing affect upgrade percentages, leading to different results for different people in/out of SFO. The differences between your CPU success and mine (both restricted to SFO flights) is a testament to that.

If you want to sit there and speak for most 1Ks and tell them that their CPU success rate is about 25%, that's pretty imperial of you.

Again, please post the data (besides yours) that support your assertion that most 1Ks have a 25% CPU success rate in/out SFO.
Almost everyone who has posted (and is not like you flying the very odd routing) ex-SFO is hitting in that range. A few odd ducks at this point, for example lots of capacity SFO-SEA at this point, so unless its a Friday/Monday/Sunday night flight, upgrades are fairly easy on that routing, and as noted above the Hawaii flights ex-SFO (except the 777 to HNL) are fairly easy upgrades, there may be a few other routes I'm not thinking of, but with (1) UAL handing out GS like candy to SFO corporate accounts, and (2) discounted Y/B/M corporate fares jumping the cue (often for far less $$$ than a non-managed E/H, etc) and (3) TODs upgrades ex-SFO on business routes are a bad joke at this point. Its why a lot of unmanaged fliers ex-SFO have gone to VX (better service) or DL/AA (upgrades and better service).

Originally Posted by Pointlessly_1K
I fly SFO-ORD, SFO-SAN, SFO-PHX, and SFO-EWR on a frequent basis, and my success rate this year is 6.6%.
Very typical for those routes.

Originally Posted by 1KPath
As a GS out of LAX, I am only 8 of 23 (~35%)...most of these are LAX-IAD or LAX-BOS. With AA, I am 19 out of 20 to ORD, BOS and NYC (I missed one because of a broken seat...AA in BOS gave me a whole row for myself and fed and watered me...well, maybe something a little stronger...the whole flight!...I did not miss F!!)

All I can say is for this GS, the difference has been dramatic!
Also not untypical on those routes. As a SFO based GS I did not clear on SFO-PHL, SFO-IAD, and SFO-BOS at times.

Originally Posted by higgsjoa
I am 0/12 for CPU on domestic segments flying out of SFO as a 1k so far this year. I haven't cleared R-space either.
again not untypical if you are flying all major business routes.

Originally Posted by trini19
I am running a rate of around 95% each week or every other week from IAH-PHL-IAH.....usually Thursday or Friday late flight from IAH and 545 am on Monday morning from PHL.
This surprises me - a lot. I go to PHL a lot, and have looked at the IAH connections to avoid the impossible upgrades on SFO-PHL (on the A319). yet, R never shows on those flights, and I have been stuck in Y on the IAH-PHL or PHL-IAH leg on the late flight. Perhaps my experience is different as you are doing the opposite trip than I am (you are going IAH-PHL, rather than the other way for me).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.