Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA cancelled; rebooked on Delta; what happens if DL cancels?

UA cancelled; rebooked on Delta; what happens if DL cancels?

Old Jun 26, 14, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nydad View Post
Nope. Not really. Just deplaned because of the lengthy delay. Waiting in suspense.
that's terrible. Rest assured, DL will take care of you ... it's not UA. If they end up cancelling go back to the Skyclub and have deal with the rebookings.
Old Jun 26, 14, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)
Terminal 1
Gate G4 3:06pm
26 Jun Cancelled
Tokyo (NRT)
Terminal 1
Gate CHK 4:55pm
27 Jun Cancelled

Flt just cancelled.
Old Jun 26, 14, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Yep. We now depart tomorrow at 10am.
Old Jun 27, 14, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Was about to depart from MSP after 20 hours of delay but due to Air Force One, we are on another wait.

Last edited by nydad; Jun 27, 14 at 11:33 am
Old Jun 27, 14, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
To the OP. I see your flt is in the air now. Please report back and give a review on your DL flt. Service, food, etc. compared to UA. What hotel did DL put you in at MSP?
Old Jun 29, 14, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kettle1 View Post
To the OP. I see your flt is in the air now. Please report back and give a review on your DL flt. Service, food, etc. compared to UA. What hotel did DL put you in at MSP?
Thanks kettle1 and sorry for the delay in updating our arrival--we're of course dead tired.

1. First of all, DL ground staffs at MSP were heroic. Apparently it is not an easy task to accommodate over 300 passengers all at once, and there were things that could have been handled more efficiently, but overall it was clear that they tried their very best to alleviate the situation.

2. MSP area hotels were all sold out, so DL chartered buses to transport us to nearby town Rochester (it took 1.5 hours to get there), and we stayed in hotels near Mayo Clinic - in our case, it was Kahler Grand Hotel. The flight was cancelled at around 5 or 6pm, but we finally got our hotel at around 11 o'clock. So there was substantial wait time.

3. DL business class though was surprisingly good. My last UA transpacific C-class trip was three years ago so I don't quite remember much about the service/seat, but DL business seat/service/food was comparable to or better than many Asian and good European carriers.

1) seat: DL herringbone seat in 747 was quite comfy. It was better than those of TK (new seat) and EK, to say nothing of horrendous AA old 777 seat. But for those who may want to travel with little kids, the herringbone seat with direct aisle access was a pain to deal with. It was very difficult to reach to my kid's entertainment system (I needed to be a gymnast), and it was quite a challenge to help during mealtimes.

2) food: Excellent! In my opinion, it was better than OZ, TK, EK. I had a Japanese meal and my spouse had a steak, and they were all delectable. In this area, AA is the worst, I guess; when we rode AA TPAC six months ago, we couldn't really eat anything.

4. Compensation: I don't have a status with DL, and I got an email apologizing for the cancellation/delay and offering $150 DL voucher for future uses. Although this was a UA-endorsed DL ticket, I think $150 is way too low for 20 hour delay for C-passengers. I will probably see what others are saying at DL forum.

I will add some pictures later, when I have a chance.

Thanks for all the help!
Old Jun 29, 14, 11:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
My god, I think YOU are the one who is heroic.
Old Jun 30, 14, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by nydad View Post
Thanks kettle1 and sorry for the delay in updating our arrival--we're of course dead tired.

1. First of all, DL ground staffs at MSP were heroic. Apparently it is not an easy task to accommodate over 300 passengers all at once, and there were things that could have been handled more efficiently, but overall it was clear that they tried their very best to alleviate the situation.

2. MSP area hotels were all sold out, so DL chartered buses to transport us to nearby town Rochester (it took 1.5 hours to get there), and we stayed in hotels near Mayo Clinic - in our case, it was Kahler Grand Hotel. The flight was cancelled at around 5 or 6pm, but we finally got our hotel at around 11 o'clock. So there was substantial wait time.

3. DL business class though was surprisingly good. My last UA transpacific C-class trip was three years ago so I don't quite remember much about the service/seat, but DL business seat/service/food was comparable to or better than many Asian and good European carriers.

1) seat: DL herringbone seat in 747 was quite comfy. It was better than those of TK (new seat) and EK, to say nothing of horrendous AA old 777 seat. But for those who may want to travel with little kids, the herringbone seat with direct aisle access was a pain to deal with. It was very difficult to reach to my kid's entertainment system (I needed to be a gymnast), and it was quite a challenge to help during mealtimes.

2) food: Excellent! In my opinion, it was better than OZ, TK, EK. I had a Japanese meal and my spouse had a steak, and they were all delectable. In this area, AA is the worst, I guess; when we rode AA TPAC six months ago, we couldn't really eat anything.

4. Compensation: I don't have a status with DL, and I got an email apologizing for the cancellation/delay and offering $150 DL voucher for future uses. Although this was a UA-endorsed DL ticket, I think $150 is way too low for 20 hour delay for C-passengers. I will probably see what others are saying at DL forum.

I will add some pictures later, when I have a chance.

Thanks for all the help!
Thanks for the update. It sounds like DL did well in everything except the compensation. I believe it should be higher as well. When you get home call DL. Tell them you enjoyed the flt and service and you are considering flying C on DL - perhaps they will give you more.

Currently UA va DL - DL wins in my book. Enjoy you vacation! ^
Old Jun 30, 14, 3:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There must have been some big event in the Minneapolis area. Otherwise downtown hotels or those in other suburbs would be much closer when the airport hotels are full. However, the Kahler Grand is considered very good, including it's special hotel within a hotel which is used by Mayo VIPs.

DL compensation tends to depend very much on one's DL or AF/KLM elite status. You had a UA ticket and DL took good care of you, including providing an excellent and expensive hotel plus finding four last minute BE seats on the same flights, so IME further complaints are not warranted.
Old Jun 30, 14, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

DL compensation tends to depend very much on one's DL or AF/KLM elite status. You had a UA ticket and DL took good care of you, including providing an excellent and expensive hotel plus finding four last minute BE seats on the same flights, so IME further complaints are not warranted.
C-class is C-class and if UA booked OAL then DL gets the money. $150 p.P. is too low for a 20 hr delay within Delta's control ... I'd ask for more.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: