Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA (O) vs. LH (O)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

UA (O) vs. LH (O)

I'm currently booked on an UA flight to Europe in First Class. Space just opened up for a LH flight in First Class for an additional 30k miles + a $100 change fee. Is this worth it? Is there a huge difference between UA and LH First class? This will be my first First Class long haul experience.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by spendlesslivebetter
I'm currently booked on an UA flight to Europe in First Class. Space just opened up for a LH flight in First Class for an additional 30k miles + a $100 change fee. Is this worth it? Is there a huge difference between UA and LH First class? This will be my first First Class long haul experience.
For an ex-USA flight, I would hesitate because its such a short flight over the Atlantic anyway, and there would be no special ground service in the USA.

UA F is a sad excuse for first class, that wouldnt even be business on serious carriers, but 30k+ $100 is tough for a 7 hour flight.

If it was ex-Germany, I would do it in a sec, longer flight, and ground handling in Germany.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by spendlesslivebetter
What's the route? In general, LH F will blow UA F out of the water, particularly if you're connecting at FRA.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I would, if you're arriving in FRA and have a decent layover you can still take advantage of the FC arrival options there.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Option 1 is SEA>ORD>BRU>MRS on UA with a 55 minute connection time in BRU.

Option 2 is SEA>FRA>MRS on LH with a 7+ hour connection time in FRA. I'm aware of the great LH First Class Terminal in FRA, however, I think that 7+ hours in FRA gives me enough time to get out of the airport and see some of the city. So I don't see myself experiencing much of the LH First Class terminal.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:02 pm

LH all the way. This isn't even a question.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Did LH First ORD-FRA-PRG last year.
Fantastic.

Do it, now.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Compared to many people who post here, I'm not inclined to spend $ for F.

But in this case it's a ridiculously easy decision. For three reasons.
1. Eliminate 1 connection (a.k.a. opportunity for a misconnect or delayed baggage, especially with a 55 minute connection time in BRU).
2. LH F really is a huge improvement over UA F.
3. FCT in FRA. Or, as OP suggested, take a train into Frankfurt or Mainz (which is what I'd do).
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
I'm very very sure that the FC lounge at FRA is prettier than downtown FRA. Stay at the airport.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The LH itinerary is much better. No domestic F from SEA-ORD.

If I could afford the extra 30,000 miles without pain, I would go for LH.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
This should take about 3 milliseconds to decide... LH all the way. Blows anything UA can offer out of the water.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
IMO, the FCL/FCT in FRA is worth the extra 30K points, and LH F inflight blows UA F away.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
On this route take LH...no question!...and as others have said, stay at the airport and enjoy the F lounge (one of the few great airline lounges). You really don't have that much time to see anything substantial in FRA...maybe see the skyline or go to the museum embankment...or maybe a good meal. This said, I think I would stay at the airport! (which I actually did last week when I had to do a LAX-FRA-FCO in F...nice flight...great lounge in FRA!)
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rstlsgirl
I'm very very sure that the FC lounge at FRA is prettier than downtown FRA. Stay at the airport.
Originally Posted by 1KPath
and as others have said, stay at the airport and enjoy the F lounge (one of the few great airline lounges).
It's an airport lounge. Anything over three hours is overkill, unless you want to sleep, take a really really long bath, or get stinking drunk on free top shelf liquor.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
What's the route? In general, LH F will blow UA F out of the water, particularly if you're connecting at FRA.
Don't forget poor MUC whose FCL is also excellent. Depending on the plane, MUC can be a better chance at new F too.

OP - do it !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.