UA (O) vs. LH (O)

Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by rstlsgirl
I'm very very sure that the FC lounge at FRA is prettier than downtown FRA. Stay at the airport.
^

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's an airport lounge. Anything over three hours is overkill, unless you want to sleep, take a really really long bath, or get stinking drunk on free top shelf liquor.
(emphasis mine)
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Lufthansa, no question. The flight is long enough to enjoy their superior F product, one less connection, no running hell-for-leather to catch a plane in BRU, the FCT at FRA (catch up on some sleep if you spend more of the inbound flight awake), the list goes on...

I would certainly part with 30k and $100 for that.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Do it. Flew LH First CDG-FRA-SFO and it was exceptional end to end.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Lufthansa in a heartbeat especially on the longer SEA-FRA flight. In addition to the FCT and the great LH experience, LH First pax can rent a Porsche for 3 hours for only 99 euros. Spend a few hours driving the autobahn at 200+ km/hr, then drop the car off at the FCT.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by spendlesslivebetter
Option 1 is SEA>ORD>BRU>MRS on UA with a 55 minute connection time in BRU.

Option 2 is SEA>FRA>MRS on LH with a 7+ hour connection time in FRA. I'm aware of the great LH First Class Terminal in FRA, however, I think that 7+ hours in FRA gives me enough time to get out of the airport and see some of the city. So I don't see myself experiencing much of the LH First Class terminal.
Of course it depends on how costly you find 30K miles and $100, but, in general, I would definitely make this change. The longer flight (compared to an east coast departure) will allow you to really enjoy LH F -- you can probably sleep as much as you want and still enjoy the food and drink -- combined with the F terminal and one less connection makes for a good combination. If you're not a frequent F flier, then best to take advantage of this moderately-priced and rare opportunity.

With 7 hours in Frankfurt, you can wander into town for a couple of hours and still enjoy a couple of hours in the F terminal if you are so inclined.

By the way, I like your handle, although, for the UA forum with all of the changes, you might consider changing it to spendmoreliveworse.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:12 am

I've been to the FCT in FRA, but wouldn't think of spending 7hrs there ... but to each their own.

If you choose to head out, here's an option.

Originally Posted by rstlsgirl
I'm very very sure that the FC lounge at FRA is prettier than downtown FRA. Stay at the airport.

Last edited by malgudi; Jun 27, 2014 at 7:18 am
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's an airport lounge. Anything over three hours is overkill, unless you want to sleep, take a really really long bath, or get stinking drunk on free top shelf liquor.
Those don't have to mutually exclusive!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
LH

I did a bunch of reservations before the devaluation of the UA miles. I could only get UA in O class when I booked them. As a 1K I can change w/o a charge so I have changed all the UA flights to LH as the date approached and the LH space opened up.

You cannot compare UA GF and LH F. Go with LH. Also, last year my DH and I did a 7 hour layover in FRA on purpose so we could visit Frankfurt. You can also visit Mainz or Wiesbaden during the layover and still have time for the FCT or FCL.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
OP, did you originally book before the devaluation? If so, you may be able to change flights without the 30k additional miles.

Mind you, I may be wrong. I have been twice before. .
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like the choice for LH is a no brainer.

I checked with the LH First Class Check on their website:
http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/First-Class-Product

and found out that my particular flight will not have the NEW 1st class product. So before I pull the trigger, does anyone's opinion change now that I know that the comparison is between UA's current Global 1st class product and LH's OLD 1st class product?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
and found out that my particular flight will not have the NEW 1st class product. So before I pull the trigger, does anyone's opinion change now that I know that the comparison is between UA's current Global 1st class product and LH's OLD 1st class product?
Even with Old F, your experience will be worlds better than UA. IMO, the only negative with Old F is the ancient IFE.
BTW, that LH New/Old tool is frequently unreliable.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP

GF has a better seat than old LH F. In all other respects LH is better.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:45 am
Original Poster

BOOKED!

Found a routing that gives me the NEW LH F!

SEA>YVR>FRA>MRS

Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
You made the right choice, enjoy!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Well done. Enjoy the caviar and the JW Blue on board, and the fantastic FCT

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.