Wiki Posts
Search

Any chance of HKG from IAH?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Any chance of HKG from IAH?

AA just launched theirs from DFW.... any chance?

thoughts?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I think if United ever does a direct flight from IAH to China, Beijing or Shanghai would be a more likely destination than Hong Kong. I think there are more business class passengers to those locations. I flew from SFO to Beijing several times during the last 18 months. Each time the business class cabin was full. I flew from SFO to Hong Kong twice, and each time it was half empty.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:19 pm

I would doubt there's enough O+D traffic to support it and why connect down there when there are options aplenty at the other hubs. Would like to see LAX-HKG return, maybe there's a chance of that with the 787's coming on line.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by mdpdjx
I think if United ever does a direct flight from IAH to China, Beijing or Shanghai would be a more likely destination than Hong Kong. I think there are more business class passengers to those locations. I flew from SFO to Beijing several times during the last 18 months. Each time the business class cabin was full. I flew from SFO to Hong Kong twice, and each time it was half empty.
SFOHKG being half empty up front is not the norm!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
IAH-HKG? Probably not. I'd guess that UA would be more likely to offer a IAH-China flight to an Air China hub, perhaps PEK or PVG. IAH-TPE may be a better candidate, given that EVA has a hub there.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by avi8tir
AA just launched theirs from DFW.... any chance?

thoughts?
Very long flight, longer than EWR-HKG. Not the same dynamic as AA. UA can already connect pax through ORD or SFO. But selfishly would love to see them taking the load off of SFO to make my upgrades easier

Originally Posted by sannmann
IAH-HKG? Probably not. I'd guess that UA would be more likely to offer a IAH-China flight to an Air China hub, perhaps PEK or PVG. IAH-TPE may be a better candidate, given that EVA has a hub there.
UA doesn't JV with BR or CA, so I don't believe this would be a consideration. UA will just as soon sell you a connecting flight on CX as BR or CA.

Originally Posted by kluau88
SFOHKG being half empty up front is not the norm!
Yeah I'm questioning that statement. While it's become easier to upgrade lately, it's still one of the more popular paid BF routes.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by worldtrav
I would doubt there's enough O+D traffic to support it and why connect down there when there are options aplenty at the other hubs. Would like to see LAX-HKG return, maybe there's a chance of that with the 787's coming on line.
Houston has one of the country's fastest-growing Asian populations. Between that and the oil industry, I think IAH could probably support a 787 flight to HKG or mainland China.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
IAH-PKG is too far, it exceeds the maximum range of UA's longest-haul a/c, the 772ER.

As written above, UA is unlikely to assign one of its 772ER's to IAH-HKG and the route exceeds the range of the 787-8. But when the 787-9 is delivered, IAH-HKG and/or -PVG might be good candidates for this variant of the 787.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott P, SPG G
Originally Posted by mdpdjx
Well SFO-HKG being half-empty is really abnormal. What I usually see is huge group 1 + more than 10 ppl on the (non) upgrade list.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:01 pm
jyh

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
IAH-PKG is too far, it exceeds the maximum range of UA's longest-haul a/c, the 772ER.

As written above, UA is unlikely to assign one of its 772ER's to IAH-HKG and the route exceeds the range of the 787-8. But when the 787-9 is delivered, IAH-HKG and/or -PVG might be good candidates for this variant of the 787.
Air China already serves IAH-PEK with a 777W whatever that is.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1

Originally Posted by jyh
I was about to make a comment too and noticed they said "PKG" I am assuming meant HKG per the topic and not PEK.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:19 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jyh
It is Air China's new 777 three class bird.

Supposed to be quite nice, especially in Biz and FC.

And supposedly FAs aren't as surly as other longhaul flights.

IIRC, this route has received good reviews in premium cabins.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jyh
The 77W is the 777-300ER (the same a/c AA uses on DFW-HKG) and it has a longer range than the 777-200ER used by UA.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I was about to make a comment too and noticed they said "PKG" I am assuming meant HKG per the topic and not PEK.
Yes, my bad, sorry. I did mean PEK...
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
AA's new flight DFW-HKG is sending the prices down. I'm seeing $3.7K prices in C from AA, NH, UA, and DL. Only CX is keeping the prices at 5.5K.

Seems to me that at that price, UA has very little incentive to add flights to HKG, much as I'd like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.